1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Avicularia Husbandry?

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by ao4649, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Abyss

Abyss Arachnoknight

Advertisement
    Agreed fully, and as i mentioned, i only feed a mouse to the largest of soecies and even then, only on the rarest of occasions. The thrill of the hunt overtakes my fear of a defense bite on rare occasions :(

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mauri

Mauri Arachnoknight

Dont some T owners use "pinkies" (baby rats/mice)? That surely would be safer. But cant see myself ever doing this...(as I probably wont ever own a T blondie etc, depends on how much a sling is and also it's a T am not that keen on to be honest.) but if they eat them in the wild I see no reason at all not to try it....

I do believe in doing your utmost to give your T the best possible housing n varied life etc. People say "your T doesnt care" etc that might be true but it's not how I am going to pursue the hobby.

p.s never seen a vid of the largest arboreals fed a small rodent. Would def like to see one of perhaps them eating a large moth. In fact if anyone knows of any documentaries of Tarantulas esp Avics am all ears!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sana

Sana Arachnoprince Arachnosupporter

There isn't anything wrong with feeding mice to tarantulas, it's just a gross experience from what I've heard. Apparently they scream a lot cause it takes them a while to die and I've heard that they start to smell really bad and decompose before the tarantula finishes eating them. Not something I'm ever going to test out personally.

4. Mauri

Mauri Arachnoknight

I'd say that depends a bit on the size of the T, size of the rodent and how hungry the T is no? But I agree doesnt sound like a pleasant experience. Certainly am not looking forward to those big roaches either..

5. Sana

Sana Arachnoprince Arachnosupporter

To my knowledge you are correct. I don't think that there has been any study as to whether tarantulas fed mammals periodically are healthier then tarantulas that don't or vice versa though, so I'm not jumping up and down to try it out.

6. Abyss

Abyss Arachnoknight

Pinkies are definatly a once a year treat for my T's that are large enough. I am a fan of varying diet occasionally. As for full grown mice, i have done it but can count on one hand how many times and it was only for my full grown T. blondi female (she was huge, last molt i measured was over 10") and she loved her mice, she was brutal with them and it was the only time she seemed excited about feedings. Generally she would just wait for prey to be too near her hide but on those rare occasions i offered a mouse she came out fully and activly hubted it down. Was amazing to watch!!!!

7. Mauri

Mauri Arachnoknight

Yikes that's one huuuge T! Well done!!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. darkness975

darkness975 dream reaper Arachnosupporter

That could possibly be the result of the heavier vibrations of the mouse VS smaller prey. It could have triggered a more excited response from the spider.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Abyss

Abyss Arachnoknight

Thats what i always figured. She dang near wouod show off with it after shed caught/killed it. She'd parade around the enclosure before retreating to eat

10. Abyss

Abyss Arachnoknight

She was a monster. Not as big or long as some T. blondie's i have seen at shows and online but she was a brute for sure. Great T

11. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor

i used to only feed wild caught prey items a few years ago. caught crickets, grasshoppers, frogs/toads, moths, worms and whatnot in the backyard and gave them to my rosie and scorpion. then new neighbors moved in and immediately soaked their 3 acres with all sorts of pesticides. so i dont do wild caught prey items anymore. that was four years ago though and i use moths here and there nowadays.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. ao4649

ao4649 Arachnopeon

Texas
    i've actually heard feeding your t's vertibrates can cause 'wet molts'? ive never had one big enough to try it, mind you.

speaking of, has anyone around here raised an a. laeta? the slings are so eye-catching.

13. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

This is just anecdotal, but I did notice a benefit in one case.

I have an elderly female Avicularia avicularia (now 10 years old if the previous owner was right about her age). I had always kept her water dish on the ground, and I had seen her drink from it on a few occasions.

Last year, she went into an exceptionally long pre-molt fast (13 months!). Toward the end of this period, I honestly thought she was dying of old age, because she was skinny and lethargic. I realized she wasn't going down to her water dish, so when I saw her perched on the top of her cork log, I held the water dish up to her level, and she drank for a good five minutes until I could no longer hold that position.

Thinking it might make her more comfortable, I added a high-level water dish (like the one my juvenile Avic has) so that she could reach it more easily, and I saw her drink from that as well. She finally molted a week later.

She definitely prefers the high dish to the low dish. In the year-and-a-half since she has had both water dishes, I have seen her drink from the high dish several times but never from the low dish. (She just likes to poop in it.)

• Love Love x 1
  14. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

Elderly indeed based on what we know of them. Nice! I think she's just trained you quite well :depressed:

There's nothing wrong with a high level water bowl. Some new owners think they need bowls in both spots, bottom and top, not necessary.

The issue of Avics isn't so much placement of bowl, but whether they will use it or not, particularly post-molt. As I've mentioned before in different places, some seem to "forget" they have a bowl. Post-molt some just won't go down to get water and over time will continue to lose mass. As that happens some will refuse food until they have water. I always keep a syringe handy for those life cycle moments. Adding droplets or making small pools of water in their canopy.

That's partly why I like your soapdish find, it holds a lot of water and provides easy entry for the T.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  15. Daren whitehead

Daren whitehead Arachnopeon

Hey there i know this is old but i just got a pink toe are you saying do not mist them or the tank at all and if not do i do anything else to add moisture or the natural moisture is fine thanks so much.

16. boina

boina Lady of the mites Arachnosupporter

Germany
    Yes, as it says in the post you cited: Don't mist, don't do anything else, just use a large water bowl and you are set :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Daren whitehead

Thank you so much you might have saved my babys life ive been so misinformed i have been misting both tje tank and her :/ thanks so much again :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Hellblazer

Hellblazer Arachnosquire

PA
    Pet store advice is generally pretty awful if that's where you heard to mist them. I'm glad you found out before it was too late.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Daren whitehead

Ya im glad i found out to thanks and actually no i found out from other tarantula owners ironically:/

20. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1