Australian Ts - Opinions and facts

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
she gets here today, my first tarantula! ill take a picture when she arrives. i have her set up in 10cm of substrate a shallow milk bottle cap with some small stone in as a water dish and until she makes a burrow ive cut one of those woolworthsgarden promotion coconut fibre pots in half as a hide. her enclosure is a 12 x 20 cm critter keeper. anything i should change?
If possible, can you get a photo of the lid? Critter keepers and slings aren't the best mix as slings can climb plastic and squeeze through surprisingly small spaces. Selenotypus in particular use the lid as their choice location if for whatever reason they disapprove of a setup, so it might be worth putting some tape on the inside of the lid to seal off most of the vent holes to limit escape points

Ftang5

Arachnopeon
Here she is everyone! Artemis the selenotypus wallace! She is about the size of a 10 c peice and i took your advice res and taped up the lower vent holes. She was alot more skittish than i thought she would be and is twice as fast as my fastest scorpions, so its a large change of pace from slow and gentle scorpions to lightning fast baby T's but ill cope. My first and certainly not my last!

Attachments

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Congrats! Artemis looks like a real stunner. By the way, how was the seller able to verify the gender at that young age?

Ftang5

Arachnopeon
Congrats! Artemis looks like a real stunner. By the way, how was the seller able to verify the gender at that young age?
She wasnt, im just reffering to artemis as she as thats what i want her to be so she can be with me longer. She has settled down a bit and began making a web "mat"

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Awesome stuff. It'll be great watching her go to work on the substrate. Just like Selenotholus species, I know that Selenotypus are basically like rabbits when it comes to digging. Will be cool seeing the substrate being transformed in front of your eyes.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Awesome stuff. It'll be great watching her go to work on the substrate. Just like Selenotholus species, I know that Selenotypus are basically like rabbits when it comes to digging. Will be cool seeing the substrate being transformed in front of your eyes.
It can also be painful to see your carefully sculpted landscape be demolished overnight lol

Ftang5

Arachnopeon
Will she be on U.manicatus level of digging? My girl makes a new burrow every night and im pretty sure has made the substrate in her enclosure hollow lol.

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ive kept two of U.manicatus but oddly, I never saw them dig. I once saw a large species of manicatus scorp under a rock which had some kind of burrow under there. That one was as big as a yabby.

By the way, I think a wallace is a nice looking species. I also really like the look of Selenotypus Plumipes - probably the most attractive of the obligate burrowers in my view. Could also call that particular T a bird thief after that well known incident on a farm in Central Queensland years ago.

Ftang5

Arachnopeon
You mean your manicatus dig?
Ive kept two of U.manicatus but oddly, I never saw them dig. I once saw a large species of manicatus scorp under a rock which had some kind of burrow under there. That one was as big as a yabby.

By the way, I think a wallace is a nice looking species. I also really like the look of Selenotypus Plumipes - probably the most attractive of the obligate burrowers in my view. Could also call that particular T a bird thief after that well known incident on a farm in Central Queensland years ago.
firstly your manicatus doesn't dig? my girl has made her enclosure look like the surface of the moon with how many burrows there are, secondly yeah i know the story of how plumipes was discovered being one of the only true bird eating spiders, plumipes has a docile reputation as far as aussie T's go so i was after one as my first T but they are rare.
Artemis hasn't done much other than the web mat around her and has kinda just sat there over night gotta be patient to see her make a burrow unlike scorpions which have just holes as burrows which are boring to look at sp00ders use web which i find pretty.

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Damn....too late to edit. I meant to type that I found a species of Urodacus scorp under a rock which Ive been trying to identify. Some people reckon it's manicatus but surely, it's to large to be that particular species. This one was huge.

Artemis sounds like she's made herself at home.

Ftang5

Arachnopeon
I'm new to spiders but have been keeping scorps for years, i can id it just post a pic. already it could be a nova they look similar to manicatus but are the second largest scorp we can have as pets.

no burrow as of yet but here's hoping.

already ive learned you cant behave like spiders are scorpions, i know handling T's is a massive no no but my scorps handle really well, and already i see i cant go rummaging around barehanded in her enclosure as I do with my scorps. overall scorpions are just tamer so imma have to step up my caution.

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yea I thought this scorp could have been a Nova. I read that Nova generally prefer coastal areas. I only have video footage of it rather than photos. I'll post the footage on the scorpion forum.

Oh yes definitely pays to be wise and cautious around our native Ts. Truly wild creatures and that venom certainly packs a punch.

Ftang5

Arachnopeon
GUYS GUYS GUYS I BOUGHT 2 LYCHAS FROM JJ'S AND THOUGHT ONE ATE TOO MUCH. I NOW HAVE 22 LYCHAS HOW DO I FEED THE BUBBAS. THIS WAS SO UNEXPECTED

Attachments

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh my gosh. Probably best to ask on the scorpion forum though I'm not sure how many Aussie scorp enthusiasts hang out there.

Tarantula Brandon

Arachnopeon
Just gonna butt in because I’m new and excited

Here she is everyone! Artemis the selenotypus wallace! She is about the size of a 10 c peice and i took your advice res and taped up the lower vent holes. She was alot more skittish than i thought she would be and is twice as fast as my fastest scorpions, so its a large change of pace from slow and gentle scorpions to lightning fast baby T's but ill cope. My first and certainly not my last!
I bought one from the same seller! She lived about 30minutes from me. I dug mine a small burrow and she hasn’t really left it since finding it. However she did chomp down a prekilled small cricket. Which made me confident :)

Attachments