Australian Ts - Opinions and facts

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ftang5: "A white T? In australia? I must (sustainiably) obtaint it!"

I think everybody has the same wish! A pity they're so rare. It wasn't pure white. More like sort of a pale semi-whitish colour. Even so, it was very different to the usual Australian tarantula colouration. Though I bet the one that's even whiter would be a sight to see - I never got to see photos of that particular one.

It was great seeing all the updates and findings on the Australian Tarantula Association website years ago. So many new species being discovered. Really exciting times. I even recall one that lived in a colony with other tarantulas, according to the guy who found them (possibly Brendan Stent?) And who could forget the appropriately named "Rattle Snake" tarantula?

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Ftang5: "A white T? In australia? I must (sustainiably) obtaint it!"

I think everybody has the same wish! A pity they're so rare. It wasn't pure white. More like sort of a pale semi-whitish colour. Even so, it was very different to the usual Australian tarantula colouration. Though I bet the one that's even whiter would be a sight to see - I never got to see photos of that particular one.

It was great seeing all the updates and findings on the Australian Tarantula Association website years ago. So many new species being discovered. Really exciting times. I even recall one that lived in a colony with other tarantulas, according to the guy who found them (possibly Brendan Stent?) And who could forget the appropriately named "Rattle Snake" tarantula?
Let's not leave out the largest colony of wild T's in the world in northern WA that spend the entire wet season underwater in flood plains. I'm expecting them to be placed in an entirely new genus altogether.
fair price, keep me updated on the slings development.

while waiting for a response was rummaging through your post history and you are very knowledgeable if I didn't know any better id say you can be the modern-day steve nun with your collection of spiders and knowledge, here have a follow
I really do appreciate the compliments and I'm glad I could help, but I am nothing even close to somebody like Steve Nunn. I have probably less than 100 hours of spider field work experience, and he has spent many many years contributing extremely valuable information to science. I'm just a "self proclaimed civilian scientist" who does it for fun ;)

We've also left out something important,

@Avis15 , congratulations on your first T! I was thinking it would be a little bit bigger lol but trust me at that size, it will be with you for many many years. Selenotypus should take around 4 years to reach maximum size, Ive had one sling for over a year now and it's barely put on 3mm lol

Last edited by a moderator:

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Gosh, I haven't heard of that huge colony of Ts in northern WA before staying underwater for so long. Really impressive.

Ftang5, as you could imagine, there's very little information online about Phlogius Ghost. Though there is some info about this T here. I had forgotten that it was found in swamp habitat!

http://ecopathsim.blogspot.com/2008/11/new-species-2008-australian-tarantulas.html

And amazingly, there's still a photo of it online.

https://www.google.com/search?q=phlogius+ghost+white+tarantula&rlz=1C1NNVC_enAU526AU569&biw=1920&bih=979&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=ul19U7u4vEDB9M%3A%2COso8lEezaXQpmM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTytvLJ2V2NCi2F7W3sblEZcp16Dg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjqz8_OptXlAhVvgUsFHdDSC58Q9QEwCnoECAYQCQ#imgrc=ul19U7u4vEDB9M:

I also recall the discovery of an Aussie T that had a kind of orangish colour to it though once again, only one specimen was found.

Yea I wish Steve Nunn could return. He used to be active on the ATA and Green Scorpion forums when they existed, as well as here. Of course he was president of the ATA in the early days. I wish he could come back here at least.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Gosh, I haven't heard of that huge colony of Ts in northern WA before staying underwater for so long. Really impressive.

Ftang5, as you could imagine, there's very little information online about Phlogius Ghost. Though there is some information about this T here. I had forgotten that it was found in swamp habitat!

http://ecopathsim.blogspot.com/2008/11/new-species-2008-australian-tarantulas.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=phlogius+ghost+white+tarantula&rlz=1C1NNVC_enAU526AU569&biw=1920&bih=979&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=ul19U7u4vEDB9M%3A%2COso8lEezaXQpmM%2C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kTytvLJ2V2NCi2F7W3sblEZcp16Dg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjqz8_OptXlAhVvgUsFHdDSC58Q9QEwCnoECAYQCQ#imgrc=ul19U7u4vEDB9M:

I also recall the discovery of an Aussie T that had a kind of orangish colour to it though once again, only one specimen was found.
You may be thinking of Phlogius sp. Saturn Red, but I think that's a far SE Asian one. There's also a handful of unnamed pale blue ones mentioned in various literature believe. However if we are going for colour, Idiommata Sp. Silverback is a good T substitute since despite being a Trapdoor, it looks like, hisses like and climbs glass like a T. Jet black with intense chromatic hairs under its legs that reflect any colour of the spectrum

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure the orange one was an Australian T featured on the ATA forum. Though that was many years ago....can't recall too many other details.

Ftang5

Arachnopeon

Ftang5, as you could imagine, there's very little information online about Phlogius Ghost. Though there is some info about this T here. I had forgotten that it was found in swamp habitat!

Yea I wish Steve Nunn could return. He used to be active on the ATA and Green Scorpion forums when they existed, as well as here. Of course he was president of the ATA in the early days. I wish he could come back here at least.

Hol' up if thats phlogius ghost then whats https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/138204282298532085/?nic=1 ?

Avis15

Arachnopeon
We've also left out something important,

@Avis15 , congratulations on your first T! I was thinking it would be a little bit bigger lol but trust me at that size, it will be with you for many many years. Selenotypus should take around 4 years to reach maximum size, Ive had one sling for over a year now and it's barely put on 3mm lol
Thank you! Yes I was expecting bigger as well, I actually got medium sized Crickets and had to run around for some small ones Gonna try to feed her () soon, not sure when she was fed last

Ftang5

Arachnopeon
Thank you! Yes I was expecting bigger as well, I actually got medium sized Crickets and had to run around for some small ones Gonna try to feed her () soon, not sure when she was fed last

Oh yeah, sorry about stealing the "spotlight" on your own thread but i did get my burning questions answered. Congrats on her, whered u get her from?

Last edited:

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Avis, congrats on getting your first tarantula. That day will come when it gets to a big size.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Does anyone have any experience with these guys?

https://aussieinsects.com.au/pages/buy-insects

Ive no idea what kind of reputation they have. I e-mailed them a question but haven't heard back.
Damn their spelling is almost worse than their prices. $350 for 1 flipping Phlogius Hirsutus?

Still some interesting ones their like Sarina of all species and Isometries Melanodactylus. If you like, I can take one for the team and test out their service

Ftang5

Arachnopeon
Pq113 is a semi readily available species, I actually have one but she's too little to display much colour. Very little info on them, as one can tell by the fact they don't even have a proper species name

Whered u get her/how much
That is a very handsome tarantula and one going straight on my to-obtain-list
Even if in temperment they are akin to kotzman

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Whered u get her/how much
That is a very handsome tarantula and one going straight on my to-obtain-list
Even if in temperment they are akin to kotzman
Gumtree sellers are probably your best bet. I can't remember if The Insectory or JJ's little stings has them, but you can always ask them. I've only ever seen slings available and usually at the standard $15-20 mark. Also not 100% guaranteed to be quite that colourful, I can't say for sure but I don't think mine will likely turn out like that as colour is often an individual thing. Mine acts just the same as my other Phlogius but is probably even more timid and light sensitive

Avis15

Arachnopeon
Oh yeah, sorry about stealing the "spotlight" on your own thread but i did get my burning questions answered. Congrats on her, whered u get her from?
Hahah all good I got her online from minibeasts They don't have a huge range but they're good for beginners

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Hahah all good I got her online from minibeasts They don't have a huge range but they're good for beginners
Yea Minibeast are great, they are probably the oldest invert sellers here. I sent off an entire batch of trapdoor spiderlings to them last year to use as a breeding colony. Allan is a very knowledgeable guy and a phenomenal invert photographer too. Minibeast are also the creators of the Spidentify app

Ftang5

Arachnopeon
I literally just had a second look at that site and check out the price for a rattlesnake T :rofl:

WOW 850$ FOR A RATTLER??? wow just wow the American fancy tarantulas that are basically walking rainbows and as rare as a good nights sleep are cheaper! if you want a vocal tarantula stick to kotzman its around 25$ at jj's which is a shop i can vouch for.

just wow.

Ftang5

Arachnopeon
Yea Minibeast are great, they are probably the oldest invert sellers here. I sent off an entire batch of trapdoor spiderlings to them last year to use as a breeding colony. Allan is a very knowledgeable guy and a phenomenal invert photographer too. Minibeast are also the creators of the Spidentify app

looking at mini beast it seems good although in some cases the prices are double what john at jj's charges for captive-bred slings, john charges 15$ for a wallace and they charge 40 same with champagne robustus, 10$ more than johns proserpines or kurandas and 17$ more than johns kotzman. i like their initiative on save the spiders but i also gotta save some of my wallet...

Avis15

Arachnopeon
looking at mini beast it seems good although in some cases the prices are double what john at jj's charges for captive-bred slings, john charges 15$ for a wallace and they charge 40 same with champagne robustus, 10$ more than johns proserpines or kurandas and 17$ more than johns kotzman. i like their initiative on save the spiders but i also gotta save some of my wallet...
Yeah I did have a look at JJ's, they seemed to be out of stock on a lot which is understandable, I'll have to see what they've got next time I'm looking for a T My new little dude has decided to bury herself, not sure when the last time she ate or molt so we'll see when she feels like coming out