Australian Ts - Opinions and facts

Ftang5

Arachnopeon
now aint she cute, was considering this species but the only real downside to this species is she will burrow and yer might not see her for days which is very off putting to me so the search for my first T shall continue.

using the pronoun her as i assume thats what youre hoping for.

WheelbarrowTim

Arachnopeon
If you're looking for big and hairy but calm and easy to care for, maybe look into G Pulchra? New world, very docile, 7 inches on average but they are slow growing. Super hairy, nice and shiny and they get a very bulbous abdomen. They sound right up your alley for what you've described minus the australian origin.

Avis15

Arachnopeon
Man Aussies are hardcore. Old world for first.... I have 24 and none are ow
There ain't any NW here that I'm aware on so didn't have much of a choice Still a very happy camper either way!

If you're looking for big and hairy but calm and easy to care for, maybe look into G Pulchra? New world, very docile, 7 inches on average but they are slow growing. Super hairy, nice and shiny and they get a very bulbous abdomen. They sound right up your alley for what you've described minus the australian origin.
They're very pretty, however we can't import non-native tarantulas into Australia, hence why I've started with an OW T

now aint she cute, was considering this species but the only real downside to this species is she will burrow and yer might not see her for days which is very off putting to me so the search for my first T shall continue.

using the pronoun her as i assume thats what youre hoping for.
I don't mind not seeing her (you're right, definitely hoping for a female) 24/7. We've already got plenty of animals hence why I thought a T wouldn't be too mucb of an extra responsibility considering their feeding tendencies and the fact that it's best not to handle them anyway

Last edited by a moderator:

WheelbarrowTim

Arachnopeon
They're very pretty, however we can't import non-native tarantulas into Australia, hence why I've started with an OW T
Oh, I hadn't thought of that. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of knowledge on OW because I haven't made plans to keep one yet

Avis15

Arachnopeon
Oh, I hadn't thought of that. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of knowledge on OW because I haven't made plans to keep one yet
Well it's true they're fast She's pretty happy at the moment, gonna allow her to settle for a while before trying to feed

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Man Aussies are hardcore. Old world for first.... I have 24 and none are ow
We literally don't have a choice lol

well if the Aussie T experts are already in this thread could i ask a question or 2?

i have experience with aussie scorps and want to branch out to other inverts but info is very limited.
im shopping around for my first T and was thinking selenotypus plumipes or something from the phlogius genus, any recommendations from the phlogius genus or selnotypus genus? i am leaning away from selenotypus as they grow extremely slow im only considering plumipes due to its reputation for being calm and john at jj's will have some slings early next year.
id prefer a species that is calm enough to not tear my hand off when i do maintenance on its enclosure but still has some fire at feeding time and id prefer a more leggy surface dweller, for some reason the stocky spider look just doesn't resonate with me :/
Unfortunately we don't have any species that meet all of your preferences. Selenotholus Kotzman is always outside, but will leave you as an amputee if you stick your hand in, Selenotypus are gentle and slow but underground 90%, and Phlogius sp. are terrestrial, large and leggy, but EXTREMELY reclusive and bolty. Rehousing is a nightmare with adult specimens. Pretty much all Phlogius have the same temperament, so you can pick and choose what you like with them

Last edited by a moderator:

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
RezonantVoid: "Phlogius sp. are terrestrial, large and leggy, but EXTREMELY reclusive and bolty."

Ive heard mostly the same things about the Phlogius genus. However, I'm surprised to hear they're reclusive. I remember Steve Nunn saying that the larger Phlogius species tend to be out in the open much of the time / more visible. Though of course that would also depend on the individual tarantula as well.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
RezonantVoid: "Phlogius sp. are terrestrial, large and leggy, but EXTREMELY reclusive and bolty."

Ive heard mostly the same things about the Phlogius genus. However, I'm surprised to hear they're reclusive. I remember Steve Nunn saying that the larger Phlogius species tend to be out in the open much of the time / more visible. Though of course that would also depend on the individual tarantula as well.
One of my girls just came outside for the first time since February the other night, and my others will only come outside at midnight on the condition that there is a cricket in the container. My 2 exceptions are a Rubiseta MM and a recently molted Crassipes that regularly does stretches.

[Edit]
They also teleport back under their hides or down their holes if you lay a finger on their containers

Ftang5

Arachnopeon
Unfortunately we don't have any species that meet all of your preferences. Selenotholus Kotzman is always outside, but will leave you as an amputee if you stick your hand in, Selenotypus are gentle and slow but underground 90%, and Phlogius sp. are terrestrial, large and leggy, but EXTREMELY reclusive and bolty. Rehousing is a nightmare with adult specimens. Pretty much all Phlogius have the same temperament, so you can pick and choose what you like with them

from the phlogius genus i was considering Proserpine or Crassipes and i really like the legs on crassipes and the body of Proserpine only reason i am hesitant to crassipes is ive read their venom will give you cramps for a week and make you chuck yer guts up for a day which is alot more extreme than my scorpions and their localized pain and swelling. im not willing to deal with a kotzman as a beginner tarantula even before i was considering getting a T i was still aware of its fierce reputation. guess ill have to deal with a skittish T if i want to keep my fingers. sigh why cant i import some fancy american spooders like a salmon birdeater or even an arizona blonde, im looking at you Australian government

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
from the phlogius genus i was considering Proserpine or Crassipes and i really like the legs on crassipes and the body of Proserpine only reason i am hesitant to crassipes is ive read their venom will give you cramps for a week and make you chuck yer guts up for a day which is alot more extreme than my scorpions and their localized pain and swelling. im not willing to deal with a kotzman as a beginner tarantula even before i was considering getting a T i was still aware of its fierce reputation. guess ill have to deal with a skittish T if i want to keep my fingers. sigh why cant i import some fancy american spooders like a salmon birdeater or even an arizona blonde, im looking at you Australian government
Pretty sure any Phlogius will kill your dog, and probably the nerves in your hand for a week as well as give you one Iof the worst pain experiences in your life lol. I don't believe there's a great deal of difference in potency, but the risk of any of the above happening is very low when done right. From what I can tell, you seem like the responsible type so I think you shouldn't have too much to worry about.

I've never kept Prosperine, but they seem to be quite readily available over the last few months so it may be the best bet for affordability. Otherwise I have a healthy batch of Phlogius Rubiseta eggs in a container here, but while they are quite colourful they are on the smaller side

Ftang5

Arachnopeon
Pretty sure any Phlogius will kill your dog, and probably the nerves in your hand for a week as well as give you one Iof the worst pain experiences in your life lol. I don't believe there's a great deal of difference in potency, but the risk of any of the above happening is very low when done right. From what I can tell, you seem like the responsible type so I think you shouldn't have too much to worry about.

I've never kept Prosperine, but they seem to be quite readily available over the last few months so it may be the best bet for affordability. Otherwise I have a healthy batch of Phlogius Rubiseta eggs in a container here, but while they are quite colourful they are on the smaller side

i am completely fine with a small spider i was considering C.tropix but info is limited so i dont knwo much about it. ill try and do some research on rubiseta but the fact i didnt even know that was a species until now is a sign i wont find much on the internet so if you could fill me in on them that'd be great. fairly certain phlogius got their dog killing venom as a defense against dingoes but what would i know :/

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
i am completely fine with a small spider i was considering C.tropix but info is limited so i dont knwo much about it. ill try and do some research on rubiseta but the fact i didnt even know that was a species until now is a sign i wont find much on the internet so if you could fill me in on them that'd be great. fairly certain phlogius got their dog killing venom as a defense against dingoes but what would i know :/
Those are my thoughts as well to be honest, since I'm sure they probably dig them up as a quick snack or something

C.Tropix is a rainforest species so it likes things to be slightly more damp but other than that the are basically a small, slow growing Phlogius sp., They do web even more than some Phlogius though which is cool (at least my little one does). Rubiseta (sometimes nicknamed Red Stents) is pretty much just a smaller terrestrial species, that is more red in colour (hence the "Rubi" in "Rubiseta) than most Ive seen pictures of. My girl is still quite a handful with rehousing though, and she spends most of her time under her large log. They also make substantial amounts of webbing, but Probably not as much as Crassipes. After molting, they go jet black for around 2 weeks which is also a perk in my eyes. Damp subtrate at the bottom and a dry top centimetre or so with a decent sized wooden hide and they are fine

Ftang5

Arachnopeon
Rubiseta (sometimes nicknamed Red Stents) is pretty much just a smaller terrestrial species, that is more red in colour (hence the "Rubi" in "Rubiseta) than most Ive seen pictures of.
sounds good but the faithful google image search has come up with conflicting results with different colors and builds all with the label rubiseta, could you post a photo of your girl?

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
a little more stocky than i thought but she is very pretty, what is your price excluding postage for when her slings are ready to be sold?
To my knowledge, the next generation of these is entirely in my hands at the present time, so I'm doing $20 a sling + $15 for postage.

However, while they all appear to be growing well at the moment, they still aren't ready yet. But I can update as they approach availability

Ftang5

Arachnopeon
To my knowledge, the next generation of these is entirely in my hands at the present time, so I'm doing $20 a sling + $15 for postage.

However, while they all appear to be growing well at the moment, they still aren't ready yet. But I can update as they approach availability
fair price, keep me updated on the slings development.

while waiting for a response was rummaging through your post history and you are very knowledgeable if I didn't know any better id say you can be the modern-day steve nun with your collection of spiders and knowledge, here have a follow

dragonblade71

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yep, Coremiocnemis tropix is a true rain forest species. Also known as a dwarf tarantula for obvious reasons.

I don't hear too much about Phlogius species "Ghost" these days. This was a beautiful looking white tarantula that was discussed a few years ago. I don't think many specimens were found and as far as I know, it was never introduced into the hobby. Very rare. I also heard about another Aussie tarantula that was even whiter in colour and also rather rare.

Last edited:

Ftang5

Arachnopeon
Yep, Coremiocnemis tropix is a true rain forest species. Also known as a dwarf tarantula for obvious reasons.

I don't hear too much about Phlogius species "Ghost" these days. This was a beautiful looking white tarantula that was discussed a few years ago. I don't think many specimens were found and as far as I know, it was never introduced into the hobby. Very rare. I also heard about another Aussie tarantula that was even whiter in colour and also rather rare.

A white T? In australia? I must (sustainiably) obtaint it!

So it was discovered by steve nunn? What happened to him people stopped reffering to him around 2012 does he still do spiders/ can you still get in contact with him? Would love to hear the (if any) progress on this "phlogius ghost"​