Arana Polita - Chicken Spider Diary

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I agree...they are burrowing species, they live under the ground don't they? at least 25cm under.
Already answered previously, you must have missed it. :}

They do not burrow. They commandeer burrows from rodents in the wild, and not once when I had them in the bins for a few months with a large amount of soil did they burrow at all. The babies did dig and cover themselves with about 1 cm of soil, but then they all molted. I speculate that that was a way for them to maintain an enclosed humid mini environment.

Also the steps of the stone wall are hollow. These have natural, rodent burrow like looking entrances. This allows for even more space for burrows.

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
That coulda' been Bad!

Good thing U set-it-up, and planted and waited...

Let's see more Pix now :razz: - Jason

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good thing U set-it-up, and planted and waited...

Let's see more Pix now :razz: - Jason

Soon... very soon.

I'll be posting more pics once I have some more broms, moss, and vines planted that are coming this week.

As for the T's in the tank, I have yet to see them leave their burrows. They took many weeks to start wandering around the tubs at night, so all I've caught glimpses of were some sitting at the entrance of the burrow and one molting right at the entrance in the perfect spot for no discernible photographs. :wall:

Tindalos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i know this is a stupid question, but why are they called chicken spiders?:?

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Has this ever been documented or is it just an urban legend type of thing? Has this or any species ever been shown to exhibit "pack" hunting? I can't imagine there has but well, I keep learning new things about tarantulas all the time :)

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Has this ever been documented or is it just an urban legend type of thing? Has this or any species ever been shown to exhibit "pack" hunting? I can't imagine there has but well, I keep learning new things about tarantulas all the time :)
I have only seen the slings attack larger crickets together, much like H.incei slings. So far I have not used large enough prey to test with the results, nor do I want to risk harming the T's in anyway if the prey items fight back.

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
I have only seen the slings attack larger crickets together, much like H.incei slings. So far I have not used large enough prey to test with the results, nor do I want to risk harming the T's in anyway if the prey items fight back.
toss in a large roach...

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
a large dubia would/should work.
Ah, I thought you meant with the adult tarantulas. Sadly roaches are illegal in Canada. People have them, but they are not supposed to be kept beyond approved research projects or zoo facilities.

I would guess in order for adults to pounce on the same prey it would take an extremely large prey item. I've seen the slings jump on crickets together in such a manner.

TalonAWD

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ah, I thought you meant with the adult tarantulas. Sadly roaches are illegal in Canada. People have them, but they are not supposed to be kept beyond approved research projects or zoo facilities.

I would guess in order for adults to pounce on the same prey it would take an extremely large prey item. I've seen the slings jump on crickets together in such a manner.
You should get a feeding video up. I would love to see the bum rush party.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
man,luckily the Ts werent affected by the pesticides in the plants.
that wouldve been real bad...
and i third the feeding video!
maybe you could get a big locust and cut of its hind legs.

harmroelf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
"i know this is a stupid question, but why are they called chicken spiders?"

hence the name campel spiders for some other creatures...{D

robd

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It supposedly originated in Peru where they're from as they have been known to attack or gang up on chickens in farms. So that's what the locals refer to them as. It is not widely known whether or not this is specific to this particular tarantula or any black large spider attacking a chicken. Odds are it's probably more generalized than people would like to think.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey everyone. Sorry for the lack of response for a bit. I have been swamped with school projects, work, and preparing for an upcoming reptile show I'm selling vivariums at.

Once that all settles down (next two weeks), I will make some videos.

An update on the big tank though, the tarantulas are just starting to get comfortable and I saw for the first time the largest adult crouched just at the entrance of one of the burrows. This entrance is quite large and exposed. I have not seen it being used the entire time they have been in this tank. Instead they were always just out of site in a small "hidden" entrance. I would only part of a leg or abdomen.

So it could be possible in a few weeks the tarantulas may be actively moving around the tank at night. I'll get pictures. :)