Arana Polita - Chicken Spider Diary

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So a few observations, one has no pictures, while the other has a dark video.

First is the behavior of the group when a large tarantula molts. I didn't notice it before since I wasn't aware of which tarantula was molting. Either way in the group of 4 large tarantulas I noticed the smallest one webbed up the entrance to the burrow they use. I suspected the smaller one was about to molt. A couple days later when the web was brought down I checked the burrow and discovered one of the larger ones had molted and not the smaller one that was doing the webbing. Could this be a sign of mutual survival and protection? I'll try to document it if it happens again.

Next, I've never seen this behavior before in any of my arachnids. I know some species will wrap up half eaten meals for later so I found this behavior interesting. The smaller one again I discovered was out and about. She had collected a large number of uneaten prey items. Probably a bundle of 4 or 5 she had softened up and placed into a pile. She continued to circle around it and web it up. As soon as I grabbed the flashlight and camera she became agitated and protective of the food bundle and picked it up while facing me. If I left her alone she continued her wrapping. Finally once done wrapping up the bundle of feeder items she took them back to the burrow. I will try to check on them later and see if any of the other tarantulas feed on this bundle she brought back with her.

Here is the quick video of her wrapping the items before becoming agitated and picking it up. It's quite dark, I tried to brighten it up a bit, but that did not work as well as I hoped.

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Any updates on this? Was the sac good? How are the colonies doing? Any closer to getting a conclusive species identification?

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
People were speculating that one of the females was gravid.... I think it's on the previous page.

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Just speculation... don't know... that's why I'm asking for the update...

one can only hope, right?

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Any updates on this? Was the sac good? How are the colonies doing? Any closer to getting a conclusive species identification?
No sac yet. But the female continues to get larger.

Both colonies are doing well with no losses. I just haven't witnessed any new behavior. This is why I can't wait for a sac. I'll get to witness a number of new things.

As for identification, no work has been done on this.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
No sac yet. But the female continues to get larger.

Both colonies are doing well with no losses. I just haven't witnessed any new behavior. This is why I can't wait for a sac. I'll get to witness a number of new things.

As for identification, no work has been done on this.
Feel free to post pictures:)

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah... seriously... whether or not this can be positively ID'ed... it's a fascinating example of a large terrestrial living communally. Document... share!

Crows Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well....

I just went through this entire thread (my eyes are bleeding) and I would have to say it is quite interesting. I must admit that I am still skeptical that it is any different than a P. Antinous however I have some input. I do have a female that is about 8.5-9", by any definition she is huge. She is different in coloration (more of a dark brown) than my other 10 or so Antinous. She was wild caught and from this latest Peruvian import, and most likely gravid, same indicators as yours. I am going to post some pictures of her soon, perhaps it will shed some light on the differences of appearance as opposed to a P. Antinous. I have to admit though, her legs are extremely thick, it competes with the King Baboon. Unfortunately I don't have any other specimens that I can attempt a communal with. Here is the interesting thing, I took a P. Antinous male and put him in her tank and there was tapping from the male and weird "vibrating" from the female. No insertion was made, when they made contact she walked away. So, I ask, have you, or anyone attempted to mate what seems to be called the "CS"? Behavior? Also, the irritation level from the hairs and their temperment has nothing to do with identification, in the least. From one Boehemi to the other, they may vary greatly in behavior, thats besides the point though. Also, Anastasia is correct in her recognition of the slings/younger specimens. I have had many slings, they molt and have the vibrancy of the first picture, with the reddish rump, then over time they became gray, just like picture two. Lastly, the picture of the male, that looks like every P. Antinous male I have ever had here. That's about 10, was that supposed to be a CS? I hope not.

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Could the lack of interest be due to the fact that she's quite possibly already gravid? I've never tried to mate an already gravid T, so I don't know how the female usually reacts to this... the drumming from the male is interesting though.

Even if they mated though, it wouldn't mean that they weren't separate species though... obviously.

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So an update.

The female I suspected was gravid ended up molting today. She actually did not show any signs of her abdomen darkening until the last couple days.

But...

I believe I have a penultimate male. I ended up digging through my CS tank to find all the adults since I had only seen one in the past few months. All were alive and happy, but to my surprise instead of the jet black I usually found I discovered this guy. He has a burgundy on his legs as well which you cannot see in the picture as much. No hooks yet, but I've heard Pamphobeteus males begin to colour up a molt or two before they become mature. Is this correct?

Here "he" is. And since I'm horrible at ventral sexing (I know it's so simple, but for some reason my eyes have issues) I posted the best pics I could get. He would not cooperate and ended up wiggling out of my hold whenever I cupped him. He managed to stay still though in the deli cup. If you guys can confirm he's male, I'm going to keep him aside until he matures so I can breed the other females I have in separate containers.

Scorpionking20

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Just finished reading this whole thread in one sitting. Awesomness...regardless of species. I'm very interested in their habits.

Falk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ive heard if you try to smuggle these creatures out and get cought they will tie rocks to your ankle and throw you in the river:p

PhobeToPhile

Arachnoknight
Good luck to breeding them! Here's to hoping that they will breed and produce slings successfully, and that the male won't get muched by the girl on the first try!

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good luck to breeding them! Here's to hoping that they will breed and produce slings successfully, and that the male won't get muched by the girl on the first try!
Well he was living in the same burrow as an adult female. The chances of the male being munched I believe are quite slim.

Crows Arachnids

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well he was living in the same burrow as an adult female. The chances of the male being munched I believe are quite slim.
Maturity and mating illicit different responses from the female, your chances of her munching him go up when mating is involved. The female molted? Did I understand that correctly? Please post a picture of immediate post molt, if you can.