Genus Aphonopelma

aftershock

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
At the moment they are subadult and are male and female. I guess both will be mature after the next molt. Then it's mating time..:) after that my male will fly to denmark and make sweet love to a danish lady..:)

They are a very defensive species. The fastest and most "aggresive" Aphonopelma sp. I've delt with.

Arachnoking

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They dont realy get much more blue than that one in the pic. They only get a powder blue colour and not the kind of metalic blue seen in Ephebopus cyanognathus.

Very nice spiders all the same :)

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
What Dean says is right iv seen them with more blue on the chelicerae then in aftershock's pic's but never with more blue then that on the legs.

David_F

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Finally got a photo of my A. seemani. She was my first T and is still one of my favorites. I'm surprised she let me hold her though. She's usually a bit psycho. :D

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Adult female Aphonopelma bicoloratum.

Adult female WC in CA Aphonopelma sp.

stubby8th

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi all! I am new to the Arachnoboards and fairly new to this hobby. I thought it would be appropriate to begin where I began - by introducing you to the little girl who started me in this hobby, Lucky. She is a native of my hometown in North East Texas.

Last edited:

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Welcome to the boards and to the hobby. I must admit...alot of us would consider ourselves lucky to be able to go out and have access to Ts in the wild. I know I would! I hope you get the chance to study them in the wild...that would be so awesome!

She's a very pretty T. And appears to be a nice size...and very well fed too. Mine has a huge butt, in spite of being on an apparent hunger strike. :? :? :?

I have an A.moderatum (no where near that size, and apparently is content to NEVER grow), that would've bitten me at least a dozen times if I tried to handle her. She's more of a worry than alot of my more defensive Ts.

Are there alot of different species in your area? Again, welcome to the boards...you'll find lots of info and help here. Best of luck.

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
Very nice. I have never handled my anex. She seems to like her space so I leave her be.

stubby8th

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks so much for your thoughtful and friendly resoponses! I think I'm going to like it here. Yes - she is from a colony that inhabits the old part of town, a block off the square. The colony is about a half mile long and from what I have observed thus far, is comprised of A. Anax in two different color variations.
I have had 'Lucky' for about a year now and she is better tempered than the rosehair I've owned for almost as long!
:rolleyes:

MrFeexit

Arachnodork
Old Timer
Is it possible the two colors stem from where they are in regards to a molt?You know shortly after they look very dark then as they get closer to a molt they tend to look very faded and washed out. Very cool that are able to see a colony first hand. You have the chance to see behavior in a natural setting. Very cool. Take some pictures if you can, it would be very cool to see.

Aviculariinae

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,
I would also love to see some photo's of these in their natural habitat.Your Female looks very fat and if she is WC she maybe gravid,or now we Know who ate all the pies ;-)

1borenkr

Arachnopeon
Collected this girl a short distance away from Salt Lake City. Hopefully she will give me some babies in the future.

BlkCat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She is little. Are they normally that size? How big do they get? Is it normal for that species of T to be docile enough to handle?

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Aviculariinae said:
Hi,
I would also love to see some photo's of these in their natural habitat.Your Female looks very fat and if she is WC she maybe gravid,or now we Know who ate all the pies ;-)
I posted some pics awhile back of my collecting trip
A. anax and A. hentzi collecting
I live about 20 minute's from where they are found. Seems though that they are only found on one side of town, and ALL over it.

Cigarman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That is one pretty lass there. She looks real healthy. Nice and plump and not a blemish on the girl. Nice.

1borenkr

Arachnopeon
They get a little bigger, as far as what I've seen; and yes, they are very docile. Occasionally they will kick hairs at you, but once they are out of their terrarium they are pretty calm

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's right folks. This is the real deal here! Not petty hints of blue here or there. Took some photos of my girl. Hopefully the color holds out. I think she may have temporally satisfied my P. metallica craving.

Just stunning....

Here is her before picture. Notice the purple irredesence.

And now...

And to top it off, it is confirmed female now!

The photos are not manipulated in any way. All I used was flash. I am gonna take her out in the sunlight later and get "natural" photos.

Last edited:

H-D

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Beautiful colouration :clap: Never even knew that a blue phase existed. Doubt that I'd be able to find one where I am...

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
H-D said:
Beautiful colouration :clap: Never even knew that a blue phase existed. Doubt that I'd be able to find one where I am...
I guess they are actuallt consider a Blue/Black phase. You live in the UK, I am sure there are some there.

Best $15 I ever spent....