Genus Aphonopelma

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would say they are pretty uncommon despite the fact that a lot of people think they have one too.

MyNameHere

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Lopez said:
I feed you, I nourish you, I keep you warm.

SO WHY DON'T YOU GROW????? :mad: :mad: :mad:

This little Aphonopelma sp."Guatemalen Blue" has reneged on the deal.
Oy! I'm thinking about getting an aphonopelma, but after reading this thread, I'm a bit concerned they'll grow SO slowly that I might forget about them. :eek:

WhyTeDraGon

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Id never purchase a baby, why when I can just go across town and get an adult female for free {D

Im pretty impatient, I dont think I could wait on one of these to grow.
But I AM waiting on 3 G. aureostriata's to grow...maybe thats even worse lol

kyle_de_aussie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wreckon theres some satisfaction in raising slings i like watching them as the grow and become more defined in there features after each moult
slings are cool ;)

Blasphemy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Here's an unsexed A. seemanni I picked up at a Petco I visited. I was in there Saturday and was just looking around and saw this guy (or girl hopefully). After thinking about it for a day, I had to go back Sunday and pick him up. On a side note, I was very impressed with the overall care of the reptiles at this Petco...each had plenty of room and were well fed with open water dishes. No sign of cotton anywhere...amazing!

Last edited:

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Congrats on the new addition.

Fortunately, not all PetCos are horrible places. There are some that really do try to care for the animals.

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Here's my Aphonopelma chalcodes, who shockingly molted yesterday. I thought this would never happen....HAH!

Before:

Seems my photography skills have also gotten better. :rolleyes:

After:

Other Aphonopelma I used to own..........Can you guess the species?

Last edited:

baboons24

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my a.chalcodes has'nt molted since i've had her and tha's been a year. the previous owner told me she had'nt molted in 2 years. do they start molting every other year when they get older?

very nice pics, i wish i had a digital cam.

MyNameHere

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
my expert eye sez that one of the "other" Aphonopelma spp. might be "bicoloratum"

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
MyNameHere said:
my expert eye sez that one of the "other" Aphonopelma spp. might be "bicoloratum"
Yes, you are correct, but which one? Didn't you say you were going to bed???? ;P

MyNameHere

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the one on top...you know, the one that looks like a 'bicoloratum'!!!

And I said I had to get ready to go to bed.

Ready now. :D

Arachnoking

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Deffinately A.bicoloratum and possibly A. moderatum for the last pic

Last edited:

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
Gorgeous! I would love to have some Aphonopelma species. I hear they are really calm and docile as well. Really nice pictures!

Spider-man 2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lorgakor said:
Gorgeous! I would love to have some Aphonopelma species. I hear they are really calm and docile as well. Really nice pictures!
Aphonopelma spp. really seem to depend on the individual pertaining to its behavior and attitude. They all seem so different....

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Lorgakor said:
I've have an A.moderatum that is one of the touchiest T I own...has yet to kick hairs, but will bite at any touch.
The only thing she won't do is eat food and molt. Almost three years no molt, and it's gotta be a year with no eating, but she still has a nice, healthy butt. Really one of the oddest Ts I've come across. Here's a kinda blurry pic of her.

MUNG!!!

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a 1" moderatum that hasnt eaten nor molted since november... and is still showing no signs of molting... gotta love the Aphono's {D