Genus Aphonopelma

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
I these two at the White Plains , NY show for like 5.00 each. I plan to empty his table of these next time I attend it.

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Very nice - congrats on the molt. :)

I must ask, why are you handling less than a day after the molt?

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
lol..Becca. I was wondering when someone was gonna ask. The were moving around allot in the KK so I let them walk out onto my hand. I don't pick them up anyways due to the size of them. They are so soft compared to other T's. I figured since they were walking around it wouldn't hurt any.

slavestate13

Arachnopeon
I caught this last night. It's probably the size of a silver dollar. I live in east county san diego. I almost stepped on it. It was missing the leg when I found it.

Michael.NEGRINI

Arachnopeon
Ruben said:
Aphonopelma Stoicum

Cheers
Ruben
Are you sure this is A. stoicum ? Take a look at legs IV, I think it could be Crassicrus lamanai. I have had this species some years ago, very unusual and nice.
:)

Best regards, Michael

tarantulakeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here's one you don't see very often. I bought her along with a mature male back in May of 1999. The male was mature and could fit on a silver dollar. I gave him to Tom Prentice. She is fully mature and under 2 inches. Both were collected near Portal, AZ. She just molted. John

tarantulakeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Here's another one that just molted. She was collected in 1999 from Prescott, AZ which is north of Phoenix. She is also mature and under 2.5 inches. Just shows not all Arizona aphonopelmas are brown. John

Lorgakor

Arachnomom
Staff member
A very drab A. seemani. I hope it looks better after its next molt. It doesn't like me very much.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The Aphonopelma hentzi is the only native tarantula here in Missouri. To find them it is best to find a glade.

This is where I am finding tarantulas.

Here is a close up of the terrain. As you can see it is rocky with little top soil.

Some are under rocks with no burrow at all like this one.

I kicked over this rock and found a burrow with a shed in front of the entrance.

I got a blade of grass and stuck in the burrow which only went about 4 inches and look what came out....

It had a bad attitude for an A hentzi

Under a different rock I found this one. It looks like it is in front of a burrow but it only goes about 2 inches. Note the webbing she has made on the ground.

This burrow actually went quite a ways back. I did coax a t out of this burrow but didn't take a pic of it. Note how it has also made webbing at the burrow entrance.

Under this rock I found several Cicada larvae. I suspect that tarantulas feed heavily on these.

Mike H.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
WOW !! great pics bro !! I have a small female about 3.5 inches...they are a neat little spider..

Regards, Mike :rolleyes:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks Mike. I have been wanting to document one of my T hunting trips for quite awhile and today was the day lol ;)

jbrd

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wow nice pics of your expedition there , did you collect any or were you just an observer?

siucfi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow those are some great pics, I have a question for you. I live in southern Illinois and was wondering where exactally this location is in southern MO. It my be a bit of a drive for me but I would love to look for wild T's myself.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
I don't own this spider nor do I know much about it, but it is always very nice to see some actual habitat pictures! :clap:

Rounder

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
nice post Brian, did you go out today again then? How long and how many did you find? Looks like you found several nice sized Ts.

Rounder

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
siucfi said:
Wow those are some great pics, I have a question for you. I live in southern Illinois and was wondering where exactally this location is in southern MO. It my be a bit of a drive for me but I would love to look for wild T's myself.
I've gone with Brian twice on T hunting expiditions this year. At one point we made the comment that we could probably earn a few extra bucks on the side as a guide, haha. In one particular area we found so quite a few Ts in a short amount of time.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
jbrd said:
wow nice pics of your expedition there , did you collect any or were you just an observer?
Both, I kept 4 but I probably found 20 or more in about an hours time.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
siucfi said:
Hi,
This is in Ozark County, MO. Anywhere in SW MO,SW AR, and NE OK should have this type of habitat. The A hentzi is supposed to range to the Miss River but I am not sure what type of habitat you will find them in Eastern MO.