Genus Aphonopelma

Brando

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
evil_educator said:
nice pics.. oh so when you pour water, the tarantula comes out?
its like those little sponges when you put them in water they turn into something, its a just add water thing ;P

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thanks!

Evil Educator,

Yes, they come out with a bit of water added. In the past I've found that sometimes they will come to the entrance and fold up their legs to block the entrance. When I see them do this I stop pouring water and leave them be. On several occasions I have later found slings and empty egg sacks at burrows that I have previously witnessed blocking behavior. It may be coincidence, but I still leave a burrow alone if the tarantula is attempting to block the flow of water. Occasionally the tarantulas will plug the entrance with dirt and debris. Usually after they are unplugged I find molt pieces or an empty egg sack outside the burrow.
I know, I'm a tarantula nerd, but I occasionally check up on known burrows to see if they are still occupied. I don't usually flood the same burrows repeatedly. A simple glance tells me if a tarantula is in residence. The tarantula in the last photo has been in the same spot for about two years! That tarantula was the size of a dime when I first found it. It has progressively enlarged the burrow to allow for growth. (Okay, I can't verify that it is actually the same tarantula as I haven't tagged it or anything. It may be another tarantula utilizing the same burrow.)

Mad Hatter,

The photos are all from the San Diego area. :)

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Nice pictures (as usual)!
You never tried the straw trick to lure them out of the burrow?

/Lelle

aaronrefalo

Arachnolord
Old Timer
nice pictures.....i would like some time to go in similar places....i live in malta...and there none of such things

Aaron

GQ.

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Thank you!

Lelle,

I do use the straw technique quite often. I have mixed results with it. If the tarantula is not visible I don't even bother. I've never been able to coax up a tarantula that was at the bottom of the burrow. If the tarantula is visible I can usually get it partially out of the burrow as it tries to grab the straw. The tarantulas around here don't seem to want to come out of the burrow after the stick. What I do is coax them to the entrance first. Next I insert the stick into the burrow and tap the tarantula on the backside. The tarantula usually comes right out. It then makes a u-turn and heads back in.

:)

GabooN

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
a.seemanni sling

I picked up some macro lenses filters for my digital camera the other day, have been playing around with them, havent gotten it all figured out yet. I took these, the enclosure was on a dark shelf so the lighting wasnt the best, so it required a flash. The depth of field was reduced on some, as it would focus on one leg and others would be slightly out of focus but i'll nail it soon :p

the photos were 1856x1392, photobucket reduced them greatly but you can see what he looks like pretty good
oh yeah, hes about 1.25 inches, got him about a month and a half ago

check out the orange hairs on his(her?) butt

better overal shot

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
He it is!

Fresh new coat of arms (Molted)

Aphonopelma henzti

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
A very pretty color mix of body and hairs. What kind of "greenery" is that?

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
Just the regular green dried moss in a bale. You can pick the stuff up at most pet shops for decor.

aaronrefalo

Arachnolord
Old Timer
nice i like!!...what is his/her size then?...could u sex it from the exo?

Aaron

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
The A. henzti is about 2" now. Both of mine have molted within 24 hours from each other.

I have one boy and one girl.

Nick_schembri

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That T looks very very freshly molted. maybe a few hours?
I really like your substrate, looks good

Deschain

Arachnolord
Old Timer
ChrisNCT said:
Just the regular green dried moss in a bale. You can pick the stuff up at most pet shops for decor.

I thought that's what it was.

Have you used it in a tank for a decent amount of time? How does it hold up? Any change after wetting it?

Sorry for all the questions, but this stuff looks like a great alternative to "natural" moss, etc.

ChrisNCT

ChrisinTennessee
Old Timer
As far as temperment...the two of Aphonopelma henzti that I have are calm as ever. No bite, no kick!

I have the Aphonopelma henzti on my list for the next show. I will be buying all the Aphonopelma henzti on the table as I do with more T's that are some of my fav's.

The moss used does not hold to water that well. I would say a month or two at most before it looks discolored. I keep a bale on hand to grab some out of when I need to replace it.

The pic was taken a day after the molt. These two below were from today.

Here's updated pics of the Aphonopelma henzti today:

aaronrefalo

Arachnolord
Old Timer
as i said picture and species are great...u gave me an idea for the suface substrate thanks..

Aaron