Introduce Yourself

leelyloo

Arachnopeon
Hello! I/my husband have been thinking about getting a tarantula for some time (our kid has a serious spider obsession that sort of rubbed off on me, and no she would not be the primary caretaker or allowed to handle it, no worries). I stumbled across this board while googling things and I'm looking forward to learning more about tarantulas while I research!

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Hello,

I'm a tarantula/scorpion caretaker from germany. I've been lurking around different boards around the web for years, beginning this year I decided to looking into joining some community online.
Im not too fond of what there is in my first language and I find myself mostly being on this board now. So I think I'll give this group a shot, I'll introduce myself real quick.

My name is Jonas, Im from Germany. I've been keeping T's for six years, right now I take care over 9 animals. Two Scorpions and seven spiders.
I got my first spider from a pet store and I was the best example of running into a store with no clue. I started with mostly literature and after that got into resarching on the internet.
As my first spider said pet store sold me a P. Cambridgei. The second spider, from the same store, an A. Geniculata. These two tought me alot, I kept them for around four years before I started to really expand my "collection". Thou that was mostly due to the fact I was living at home back then.
Got my own place now, with much room for large spiders in the future. ;)

Now you know my name and what I've been up to in the hobby so far, cheers!
Hi there and welcome!

I think it was the right choice to finally register here. :) Forget about the **** from that other forum. :p
Schoen, dass du da bist. :D

Jonroe

Arachnopeon
Hi there and welcome!

I think it was the right choice to finally register here. :) Forget about the **** from that other forum. :p
Schoen, dass du da bist. :D
Hi, haha yea It took me a moment to get motivated again. ;)

NapalmsMaster

Arachnopeon
Hi my name is Kristine (Napalm is my dog...).
I've been lurking on here and researching T's for a few months now, I am hoping to soon purchase my first sling (or two..) soon. However it took me almost 6 months to decide what kind of pour over to buy to make coffee so who knows how long it will take me to decide on the right tarantula.
I love the solid black T's. I'd love a Grammastola pulchra or a Brachypelma schroederi, and maybe even work my way up to a Haplopelma minax. I also have a fondness for any T from Puerto Rico, I used to live there as a child. Oh and I probably shouldn't admit it but....the OBT is starting to peak my interest because of all of the horror stories about how defensive they can be has almost made me overlook the garish orange color.
I'm a little nervous about getting a sling as a first tarantula, since I know how delicate they can be, but I'm hoping my experience with reptiles and my amazing superpower (common f%$%ing sense), and these boards can help me along.
I'd also appreciate any other suggestions of solid black (or dark purple) T's to look into, and not just as a good starter T but just to admire.

Jonroe

Arachnopeon
@NapalmsMaster Hello and welcome :)

You can add Grammostola Actaeon to your list. Maybe also G. Iheringi but they have noticeably reddish hairs on their abdomen.

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
Hi my name is Kristine (Napalm is my dog...).
I've been lurking on here and researching T's for a few months now, I am hoping to soon purchase my first sling (or two..) soon. However it took me almost 6 months to decide what kind of pour over to buy to make coffee so who knows how long it will take me to decide on the right tarantula.
I love the solid black T's. I'd love a Grammastola pulchra or a Brachypelma schroederi, and maybe even work my way up to a Haplopelma minax. I also have a fondness for any T from Puerto Rico, I used to live there as a child. Oh and I probably shouldn't admit it but....the OBT is starting to peak my interest because of all of the horror stories about how defensive they can be has almost made me overlook the garish orange color.
I'm a little nervous about getting a sling as a first tarantula, since I know how delicate they can be, but I'm hoping my experience with reptiles and my amazing superpower (common f%$%ing sense), and these boards can help me along.
I'd also appreciate any other suggestions of solid black (or dark purple) T's to look into, and not just as a good starter T but just to admire.
Welcome!

My first two T’s were slings, both only about an inch in DLS. With a little bit of research here, you can easily keep a sling alive and healthy.

Also, Napalm is a great dog name! My
Dobie’s name is Heisenberg. Not quite as cool as Napalm but pretty good I think.

NapalmsMaster

Arachnopeon
Welcome!

My first two T’s were slings, both only about an inch in DLS. With a little bit of research here, you can easily keep a sling alive and healthy.

Also, Napalm is a great dog name! My
Dobie’s name is Heisenberg. Not quite as cool as Napalm but pretty good I think.
Do you think it would be risky to go smaller than 1" (depending on the species of course) for a first sling? I saw a few I may be interested in on FearNotTarantula and SwiftsInvertabre but some were really small.

Oh and Napalms a "good boy" he's thirteen now but we spent seven years traveling the US hitchhiking and hopping freight trains together. Big dreadlocked metal chick and a pitt bull mix...everyone said he was my guard dog but I think its the other way around...

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
Do you think it would be risky to go smaller than 1" (depending on the species of course) for a first sling? I saw a few I may be interested in on FearNotTarantula and SwiftsInvertabre but some were really small.

Oh and Napalms a "good boy" he's thirteen now but we spent seven years traveling the US hitchhiking and hopping freight trains together. Big dreadlocked metal chick and a pitt bull mix...everyone said he was my guard dog but I think its the other way around...
I would probably shoot for something in the 3/4”-1” range (or larger) for a first T for two reasons. One, convenience because at that size you can just feed small crickets, and two just because smaller slings are a bit more fragile.

My first T was a GBB sling that was max 3/4”. I was kinda freaked out because it was so small, but I just used the information here and now it’s around 2” after a couple molts and doing great.

At this point I have three T’s now, and I’m sure I could handle a sling that was 1/4”-1/2”, but I sure wouldn’t have wanted it to be that small for my first T.

Take all that FWIW... I’m sure with the info here you could keep anything alive.

Sounds like you and Napalm had quite some adventures!

Sbiriguda

Arachnopeon
Hello everybody, I am interested in Lepidoptera and especially in how to make/buy an incubator for them, which might be similar to something you have to do for some species you talk about here. I am from Italy

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Hello everybody, I am interested in Lepidoptera and especially in how to make/buy an incubator for them, which might be similar to something you have to do for some species you talk about here. I am from Italy
Sbiriguda? Supercazzola prematurata? :pompous:

Sbiriguda

Arachnopeon
Hahahaha
Sorry for speaking Italian, we are talking about a comic actor who inspired my nickname here
Perhaps this kind of comicity would be appreciate by non italian speakers, so...
Here you go

Maximus

Arachnopeon
Hey all, I’m Max, I’m currently in between Ts, but I used to have a Rose Hair, 3 Black Satans (male and 2 females), and a Brazilian White Knee. I got away from the hobby for a while, but have decided to get back into it. I have been coming here for quite a while to learn, research, and gather info, so I thought I would finally join and be part of the forum.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Hello! I/my husband have been thinking about getting a tarantula for some time (our kid has a serious spider obsession that sort of rubbed off on me, and no she would not be the primary caretaker or allowed to handle it, no worries).
A tarantula is a great thing to get "for your kid," along with Lego sets and video games. ;)

Caskar97

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone,

I'm Caskar. My real name is Caspar. I recently bought my first two Ts. My main hobby is listening to and making music, but I also enjoy (retro) gaming and reading manga. I guess I'm also into anime, but not as much. I'm currently doing an education in the Netherlands to become a teacher of English. It's nice to meet all of you.

Also, I find it amusing that the user above me is called Ungoliant, because that's what I named one of my Ts.

AlabamaBug

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone,

Like others, I have been hanging around in the shadows for awhile reading and learning. I finally decided to join the forum seeing as how the membership price was so low. I have only become interested in tarantulas in the past six months after doing some research to help my son when he got his first T. My son (8) has been deeply interested in all types of creepy crawlies for years, but his main fascination has been spiders. He has always kept different spiders that he has found, and studies their behavior while trying not to be too invasive. After years of asking my wife and I, we finally decided that we would get him a T but I would help. My goodness these things a fascinating!! It didn't take long before I was hooked and looking for any information I could find. This year he finally got his long awaited B. albopilosum that he calls Bendi. He "got me" a GBB and together we got a hapalopus sp. Columbia. We are very excited to be caring for these tarantulas and look forward to interacting with everyone here on the forum.

John

dbacksfan1980

Arachnopeon
Greetings everyone, I am back in the tarantula hobby after nearly ten years. I was first introduced to tarantulas back in 2007. I had always had appreciation for spiders and other arachnids, but the idea having one as pet didn't appeal to me. The fascination came with a fair amount of fear too. However, decided to conquer my fear and purchased my first T--a G.rosea after reading up on tarantula care. As time went by, that fear was overcome by amazement. Unfortunately, I was moving out of state and a good friend of mine wanted one, so I gave it to her. Like many others, I've liked having an "odd" pet. Currently, I own a LP 1.5'' spiderling. Hoping to have a big spider someday. Anyway, that about sums it up. Best regards, Ben N.

alanfjones14

Arachnopeon
Hey All,

Welcome to Arachnoboards. Please take a moment to introduce yourself. Let us know who you are and what brings you here.

Feel free to post a picture of yourself here.

This thread is for personal introductions only, please let us know what inverts you have here.

Hope you enjoy your stay :D

The Arachnoboards Team
Hi I am new to this fascinating hobby and currently have a curly hair tarantula and a mexican red knee.I have started with easy spiders to keep but hope to progress in the future.My other passion is motorcycling.

Mainbutter

Arachnopeon
Howdy arachnoboarders!

Long time lurker, new poster.

I'm mostly here to gawk at photos of all your cool inverts, but since my wife wants a display spider for her work desk, I am helping her do some of the leg work.

Fun facts about me:
I live in Washington D.C.
I've kept herps and inverts for over two decades, but never arachnids.
We sold our collection after the last move, but finally decided to make room for some small caged critters.
I'm an avid fisherman, and have discovered that the DC tidal basin has over a dozen targetable fish species.

Thanks for having a great community with lots of information on crawly critters.