Introduce Yourself

xxCHAOTIC

Arachnopeon
Hello! Long time stalker never actually made an account to post.

I'm chaotic. I started out being terrified of spiders and the like not even a year ago and after getting my first B. vagans with my roommate's C. versicolor and somehow ended up with 6 tarantulas and getting a 7th for my birthday next week and saving up for a tattoo of a P. regalis. Funny how that happened.

KnK

Arachnopeon
Hi there,
I'm a long time user, but lost my ID and can't remember the e-mail, lol.

I'm from Brazil, used to keep T's and some scorpions, about a 8 years ago I step away from the hobby, since now.
Here in the country is hard to get some species (special brazilians/south american), sometimes someone import something, but comes with high costs. Luck for me I still got some good friends from the old times, and soon I will collect some of they spider rooms. :D

In the moment I'm keeping a Dolichotele sp. (in the ID section someome told D. cf mineirum, and makes a lot of sense), and a Lasiodora klugii (trying to trade). Waiting to receive a recent bought A. purpurea "peru purple" and a O. violaceps (both lings).
I'n the past I used to keep arborials spider, most avicularias and poecilotherias, and burrowers like ephebopus.

This year I hope to get some nice species, let's see what I get.

Always was here in the board, best place in the web to acquire real information.

Thanks all.

Beenie1983

Arachnopeon
Hello :)

Been a lurker for a while and can’t remember if I ever did an introductory post! Just in case....

I started keeping Ts in September last year when my (was) arachnophobe fiancé finally said I could get a tarantula :D
I already had a female Regal Jumping spider (she’s still with me) and she’s gone a long way towards helping my fiancé see the light lol!
So I started with a B. hamorii sling and a G. pulchripes sling last September and now I have 14 T’s with a mix of New and Old world :D im about to pick up four more T’s and a Damon diadema this Monday!
My fiancé is no longer scared of spiders and now has his own T, and two of the T’s I’m picking up Monday will be his :)

Aside from T’s, we also have a Miomantis paykullii, two corn snakes, two Royal pythons and three cats :)
Also for fun, I read and build model aircraft and military vehicles.

Ian1980

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone,

My name is Ian and I am very new to the hobby. I am 37 and live in a small market town called Kettering in Northamptonshire, England. I have a juvenile Grammostola pulchripes called Frankie which I bought only 4 days ago. Very exciting. I have been dreaming of owning a T for a long time and now finally, after 7 long years of begging, I have one. I originally wanted a Eupalaestrus Campestratus but could not find one anywhere. I went to my local reptile shop and they showed me the Grammostola pulchripes. After doing some research I decided to get one, and I'm very glad I did. I also have a boxer dog called Lennie, two female cats, Missy and Masie, a male cat, Harribo and 3 children.

Ian

DraykoDog

Arachnopeon
Hi! My name is Melinda. I have been obsessed with insects, bugs, and other "creepy crawlies" for as long as I can remember. As a child I would spend summers on my grandparent's farm studying ants and other bugs/insects. My mom was terrified of spiders and would kill any and all spiders that came into the house. As a result I grew up rather unsettled around them. On one hand I was fascinated by them and wanted to study them, but on the other I wanted to throw fire and run away screaming. :anxious: After moving to WV I started studying spiders and fell in love with wolf spiders. The thing that did it for me was watching the mama spiders run away from me with their little babies clinging to their backs. I had young children at the time and I guess I identified with their mama bear behavior. I learned to not throw things at them when they came into the house to overwinter and would help them get back outside in the spring. One summer I went to a nature exhibit they had at the state capital and this guy had several tarantulas. I got to talking with him and he allowed me to hold one of his (I believe it was Grammostola porteri, but not 100% sure) and my obsession began. From that point on I wanted a tarantula. Fast forward 15 years and I FINALLY have one. I just got her a couple days ago and she's a juvenile Brachypelma albopilosum I named Buffy. I originally was looking at either Euathlus sp. red or Grammostola pulchra slings, but I fell in love with Buffy and just had to get her. That's her the day I got her in my profile pic!

I've been lurking here for several years and decided to set up a profile since I'm finally a T owner. Yay!

cold blood

Staff member
. I went to my local reptile shop and they showed me the Grammostola pulchripes. After doing some research I decided to get one, and I'm very glad I did.
This is one of the best choices you could have made....its more active, a better eater and a faster grower than the E. camp....IMO its one of the very best starter species.

I also have a boxer dog called Lennie
Boxers are the best. Lennie, meet Dolly

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
I guess I should do an introduction, I've been reading this forum for a while now.
I live in Mount Barker South Australia, on the outskirts of the Mount Lofty Ranges. To one side of Mt Barker is the Mt Lofty Ranges with high rainfall, to the other very dry farmland melding into arid 'Mallee' bushland with the red sand environment you would associate with the Australian outback.
I've always kept animals and fish, one of those kids that can't wait to get home from school and get to his mini zoo in the back yard, cages, tanks, jars and containers holding pretty much anything I could catch!
(at least for a while, I was very much encouraged to release what I'd caught after I'd studied it)
I've kept fish,birds and reptiles for over 30 years, but due to health problems I've recently got rid of my birds, and am slowly swapping fish for inverts as they are less demanding physically.
I've been keeping scorpions for about 5 years, and centipedes for maybe 2, going on 3 years I think, the dates are in my notes but I can't find my notebook atm.
In the last couple of weeks I've been researching tarantulas, mainly because they are offered in the adverts when I look to buy scorpions and after watching a few videos I basically have become obsessed and have been reading and watching tarantula stuff day and night ! But don't worry, I'm sure I'm not going to run out of stupid questions any time soon!
On Thursday I ordered my first Tarantula, Selenotypus plumipes, the feather legged bird eating spider. It has just over an inch legspan I've been told. I was tempted to buy a phlogius crassipes with a 4" leg span, but I think it best to start with little guys so I can grow as a keeper and get comfortable with them as they grow.
I have found it all very interesting, and I'm pleased to meet you all.

Last edited:

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Fast forward 15 years and I FINALLY have one. I just got her a couple days ago and she's a juvenile Brachypelma albopilosum I named Buffy. I originally was looking at either Euathlus sp. red or Grammostola pulchra slings, but I fell in love with Buffy and just had to get her. That's her the day I got her in my profile pic!
Brachypelma albopilosum is a great choice for a first tarantula: hardy, generally docile, and fluffy.

Ian1980

Arachnopeon
This is one of the best choices you could have made....its more active, a better eater and a faster grower than the E. camp....IMO its one of the very best starter species.

She's beautiful. When I manage to upload a picture of Lenny i'll post it. He's sleeping off a long walk this morning. Every Saturday morning we meet up with his boxer pal George and they go nuts for an hour or so and then we don't hear from Len until teatime. It's great.

Jaxe

Arachnopeon
Hello I am Jaxe after long time in fear of spiders i actually burried the fear and jumpstarted into the hobby with P.Irminia right now one of the older members is helping and teaching me so i have to say this community is generaly amazing.

Attachments

octaJon

Arachnopeon
Greetings fellow arachnophiles,
Long time lurker here but newly created account. I've utilized ABs for quite some time and am grateful for such an invaluable resource. I look forward to sharing my passion with like-minded individuals for such fascinating creatures.

My 1st (of many) Ts:
B. boehmei
image.jpeg

Ian1980

Arachnopeon

003.JPG 004.JPG

Hi Dolly, meet Lenny. Here he is with Maisey our cat and in the other photo he is with his best chum George.

StarPum

Arachnopeon
Hello!

I am French boy now living in Germany, and am very passionate by arachnids :3
I will get my first T very soon!

I don't really now what else to add, I came here to have some more infos and advices and to share my passion with people :)

Looking forward to chat with you on the forum!

Last edited by a moderator:

mazzzz

Arachnosquire
Hello all I'm new to this... just got my first T a Brachypelma Albopilosum and I have a few questions can't really figure out my way around here so if anyone could help that would be great.. thanks

roy a habergham

Arachnopeon
Hi I'm Roy
I'm from lincolnshire UK and have just recently got back into keeping T's with my Girlfriend, who wasn't keen on the snakes I kept and bred, mainly retics and royals. We have quite a large collection now including: P. Irminia P. Metallica
P. Regalis
C. Versicolor
P. Murinus
P. Muticus x2
T. Violaceus
A. Geniculata x2
L. Parahybana x5
B. Boehmei
B. Vagans x2
B. Hamorii x2
B. Albopilosum
G. Pulchrips x2 G. Pulchra G. Rosea
P. Platyomma
P. Sazimai
P. Cancerides
A. Seemanni
C. Cyaneopubescens

Also a couple of unidentified T's , will post pictures, if someone can help to identify them.
Best regards Roy + Jenny

Brittany10021996

Arachnopeon
Hi my name is Brittany,
I live in Nebraska with my boyfriend and we just recently got our first tarantula. We are both pretty excited to learn all the thing this site can teach us about having a tarantula.

FluffySpider

Arachnopeon
Hi! I've owned Ts for a few years now. A few different species. Right now I have a red rump who is unsexed still and I just got a blue baboon sling. It's almost an inch-ish? When I bought it I didn't realize it was a baboon so I was a bit nervous but I read it's more of a nicer one? I need to rehouse her very soon and now I'm pretty scared lol.

I've just rehoused my red rump, Spooky, and she used to be really spazzy but she calmed down so much. My bf actually moved her for me while I was out of the room. He used to really not like spiders but now I think he really does like them. He's going to help me move the blue one this weekend wish me luck! I'll take some pictures as well.

Here is Spooky in her new cage I made

Mushroom

Arachnopeon
<3
Hello everyone. I come from Poland and I've known this forum for a long time :). Only now registered... and I don't know why so late. I LOVE tarantulas. They give me similar emotions like hamsters, fluffy bunnies and other furry animals.
I've been keeping Ts for about 18 years. In fact, this has long been a family hobby.
Believe it or not but once I left my home town to do my Bachelors, Masters and PhD (molecular biology), my mom didn't let me take my tarantulas with me. Yeah, she's been so addicted to those beasties as well...

I bought my first T when I was twelve. In old good times it was called Brachypelma smithi, now hamori. To avoid any confusion, we were calling her Bumblebee. Her purchase was quickly followed up by some new additions of the OW species. And so it went. As I lived in a very small town where the most exciting thing is perhaps having a beer by the river, I started organizing some local communities and introducing them to the hobby (cultural events, local expos, radio interviews). I was so surprised, that after 12 years of my absence at home, most of my folks are still in the hobby! <tears of pride>

In December our little Bumblebee passed away, having lived for 18 years. Mom was sad, so I quickly contacted the guy who I had introduced to the hobby many years ago. He sold me some cute A. geniculata female which became my mom's fav.

Me... I settled down in a town far away from my place of birth, got some nice job. I live with my girlfriend and two dogs. I decided it was a great time to restart my collection at my own place. At that time we were living with a guy who happened to also be a landlord. I must say, he was very convincing at playing panicked when I quietly mentioned about my plans to get some of these beautiful animals.

As you might imagine, there was no choice...
We moved out to a tarantula-friendly zone. I'm ready to start again! :)

But for now, I'd like to say hi to everyone.