I'm new to this world

ispectechular

Arachnosquire
In the olden days they were all wild-caught. To be honest (speaking as US citizen) I see too many pesticides in use and feel people gotta enter the hobby some way. I picture this OP as someone who will catch the T bug and want to start purchasing some captive breds. I hate to discourage folks who catch a T and fall in love -- it's a beginning, yannoe?
I can take criticism, so no hard feelings. :)
Just because thats how it started, doesn't mean it needs to continue.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
In the olden days they were all wild-caught. To be honest (speaking as US citizen) I see too many pesticides in use and feel people gotta enter the hobby some way. I picture this OP as someone who will catch the T bug and want to start purchasing some captive breds. I hate to discourage folks who catch a T and fall in love -- it's a beginning, yannoe?
I can take criticism, so no hard feelings. :)
No none at all, it's just not my cup of T, pun intended, yannoe! ROFLMAO

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I won't judge -- I see both sides of issue. But I admit, I sometimes I wish I lived where I could get a free T. With destruction of habitats and pesticide use -- I often see the T hobby as preserving a species not destroying it.
No hurt feelings -- I truly see value in both views.

Last edited:

Eek

Arachnosquire
Just my two cents here...I would say that A LOT of the fun is watching your T's grow from a little speck of attitude into a much larger specimen. The molting process, the change in behavior from spiderling to adulthood...many amusing and enjoyable steps are missed out by skipping straight to the adult phase.

Yes, some of the slings are a bit fragile and you have to up your guard for their sake but it is more rewarding (in my opinion) in the end to point at your pal and proudly state: "I've raised this gal since she was a sling!"

Slings are cheaper too. ;)

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Should I release him & search for one who is already is in captivity?
It's gotta be your choice. If it is a mature male -- he'll miss his chance to mate.
On the other hand, despite complaints, a lot of mature males that were captive bred never got a chance to mate either.
I cannot tell by picture if mature male or not.

I admit, I only have (I think) captive breds... but I am envious of those who can catch a wild T and keep it as pet.
Do whatever you feel is best -- I can't judge you either way. My own G rosea may have been wild caught -- I don't know her true history.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
It's gotta be your choice. If it is a mature male -- he'll miss his chance to mate.
On the other hand, despite complaints, a lot of mature males that were captive bred never got a chance to mate either.
I cannot tell by picture if mature male or not.

I admit, I only have (I think) captive breds... but I am envious of those who can catch a wild T and keep it as pet.
Do whatever you feel is best -- I can't judge you either way. My own G rosea may have been wild caught -- I don't know her true history.
Yup.... as a child, exploring nature and catching critters made me a naturalist. So I can definitely see the benefit to this. It reminds me of a marine conservation function I attended once. After the movie Blackfish came out, everyone was on edge about Sea World cruelty. That meeting was full of anti-captivity opinions. All I had to ask the students was "So, what got you interested in marine science?" Many of them lowered their heads a bit and said "Well, I hate to admit it, but I used to go to Sea World as a kid."

It's a fine line we walk sometimes, isn't it?

KingDontay

Arachnopeon
Once the rain stops I'm going to release him & look at the rose hair here to see if she's female. I really dont like how much they are when you can catch them but when you have a pet you need what's best for them. Thank you all for the advice & I'm lucky to have gotten to watch this guy like I did.

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
Once the rain stops I'm going to release him & look at the rose hair here to see if she's female. I really dont like how much they are when you can catch them but when you have a pet you need what's best for them. Thank you all for the advice & I'm lucky to have gotten to watch this guy like I did.
See? Gotcha hooked into hobby already! :)
I honestly see both sides of issue -- but if it is truly a mature male -- you wouldn't have had him long anyway. I respect either decision.

[I keep looking at pix, I just can't determine gender here for sure -- trust others on this, not me!]

ispectechular

Arachnosquire
Awesome choice. Rose hairs aren't always the best started tarantula unless you don't mind them being moody. They can be defensive/aggressive at times. Mine went through a phase of aggression and If wouldn't have been careful, or not known how to deal with her, I would have been bit.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
So much hate towards wild caught. Catching a mature male is a bit cruel for the reasons listed above, but I see nothing wrong with catching spiders. You all realize that this hobby wouldn't exist if it wasn't for wild collection, yes?

As has been said, you're taking a wild tarantula and putting it in an environment with a steady supply of food, no predators, and climate control. A non-MM would be beyond thankful... if they had the cognition capable of such emotion :p

KingDontay

Arachnopeon
She's the only local one, I will look elsewhere is she is a male. What is a good started tarantula?
I also wasn't going to handle them much till I was use to them & knew their behavior better.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
She's the only local one, I will look elsewhere is she is a male. What is a good started tarantula?
I also wasn't going to handle them much till I was use to them & knew their behavior better.
Can you post some more images of a spider? And also, definitely need some more substrate in the enclosure

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Awesome choice.
If you mean to release him yes I agree, I'm not an advocate of wild caught species, unless it's for the greater good, i.e. a bird that has a broken wing and you're trying to help. Then you call the RSPCA in the UK if not in the UK I don't know the name of the US society for cruelty to animals. I'm just glad she's decided to release the fella.

ispectechular

Arachnosquire
Are you against ordering online? Typically (at least in my area) pet stores only carry G. Roseas. It can be more expensive because of shipping but its worth it in my opinion. Also chances are the pet store is selling a wild caught Rosea.

Some good species to start would be Lasiodra Parahybanna (Salmon Pink Birdeater), Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens(Green Bottle Blue or GBB), Brachypelma vagans (Mexcian Red Rump), Caribena Veriscolor (Martinique pinktoe) and Grammostola pulchripes (Chaco golden knee). There are plenty more but those are just a few. Just make sure you look them up first.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Depends on what you like in a tarantula. Big and (generally) docile, I vote for Grammostola pulchripes. If you want interesting colors, the hobby classic Brachypelma harmorii would be another great starter tarantula. There are quite a few to choose from as a new keeper. Again, it depends on your preferences.

Btw, I personally don't recommend handling tarantulas. They get no benefit from it, and you risk a fatal fall. Doesn't take much to kill a tarantula. I've seen it happen:(

KingDontay

Arachnopeon
Depends on what you like in a tarantula. Big and (generally) docile, I vote for Grammostola pulchripes. If you want interesting colors, the hobby classic Brachypelma harmorii would be another great starter tarantula. There are quite a few to choose from as a new keeper. Again, it depends on your preferences.

Btw, I personally don't recommend handling tarantulas. They get no benefit from it, and you risk a fatal fall. Doesn't take much to kill a tarantula. I've seen it happen:(
That is what I read as well.

Are you against ordering online? Typically (at least in my area) pet stores only carry G. Roseas. It can be more expensive because of shipping but its worth it in my opinion. Also chances are the pet store is selling a wild caught Rosea.

Some good species to start would be Lasiodra Parahybanna (Salmon Pink Birdeater), Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens(Green Bottle Blue or GBB), Brachypelma vagans (Mexcian Red Rump), Caribena Veriscolor (Martinique pinktoe) and Grammostola pulchripes (Chaco golden knee). There are plenty more but those are just a few. Just make sure you look them up first.
I am nervous ordering any live creature online. I might in the future.