1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm new to this world

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by KingDontay, Jul 13, 2017.

1. sasker

sasker Arachnoknight Active Member

Advertisement
    I see. Well, it makes a lot of difference to know what species you are dealing with. It is not wise to prepare for 'just any spider' and than go ahead and purchase something.

Congratulations! Never had one myself, but they are not too difficult to care for. It is perhaps not the very easiest beginner tarantula, so you need to keep a few things in mind. Keep its enclosure slightly damp. Please be warned that you should not try to handle this species!! They grow very quickly and have a very healthy appetite. This means that - unless in premolt - they respond to the slightest movements and attack anything that comes close. They are not aggressive per se, they just don't differentiate between a cricket or your finger. They get fairly large and so will their fangs. Although not any less painful, at least he did not mean it when he bites you :) They also have a tendency to kick hairs, more so than other 'typical' beginner species.

The scientific name of this spider is Acanthoscurria geniculata, by the way. It is much appreciated on this forum if you use the proper scientific name (and you look more knowledgeable ;)).

I still strongly suggest that you do some extra reading on this particular species. Feel free to post some pictures for others to see if they have some tips on your enclosure setup. Success!

• Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. KingDontay

KingDontay Arachnopeon

Should I get feeding tongs meant for reptiles for him? I do not have ones that keep the food that far away currently.

3. KingDontay

KingDontay Arachnopeon

Also what websites should I search for their information?
    Is their a particular one for them of just a general tarantula information website with a search bar?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. cold blood

cold blood ArachnoGod Active Member

yes, a set is a must.
    Research threads here on AB. Everything you need is waiting for you to read.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. crone

crone Arachnodemon Active Member

No harm no foul. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  6. sasker

Yes, although it is not yet necessary for a sling though. You don't need to tong-feed your tarantula, just drop in the food and watch it run for his life (with A. geniculata you should not blink or you will miss it ;)). If your tarantula is in premolt and you need to remove life prey, or if you want to remove the remains of eaten prey, it is best to use the tongs instead of your fingers.

• Like Like x 1
  7. mconnachan

mconnachan Arachnoprince Active Member

Definitely, the feeding response from this sp. is attack anything that moves, my A. geniculata was in pre-molt from the minute I got her, after molting and a re-house I fed her the other day, haha the roach was lucky if it even hit the substrate, bang, the roach had no chance, best to get 12" tongs they're my best piece of equipment for maintenance. They assume everything is food, they can't distinguish between your finger and a prey item, other than that easy to care for, dry substrate and a water dish, I've got a piece of cork bark in the enclosure just for aesthetics but it turns out the spider likes to sit on it, congratulations on your first venture into this fabulous hobby.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. sasker

I would suggest slightly damp substrate for now because it is a sling. I believe some keep the substrate for adults not completely bone-dry either, but I have no personal experience with this species.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mconnachan

I over flow the water dish when it needs filled, but that's all, I've not had the A. geniculata for long but it seems to be liking the conditions. So yeah the sub does get slightly moist not much just around the area of the water dish, and it's never hovering around that area so I can only assume it's liking the setup.

10. mconnachan

I've just searched the forum again just to make sure my information was correct, and yes, keep the
    A. geniculata on dry substrate with a water dish, over flow it from time to time, when it needs topped up, once a week is my usual recommendation. Mines is doing great being kept as I've described.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  11. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Arachnoprince Active Member

Acanthoscurria geniculata is a fun species to keep. They think everything is food and react accordingly. Even when my sling was smaller than an inch, she attacked anything that moved: water drops (being added to her water dish or her substrate), my tongs, and the water dish (when removed for cleaning or added after cleaning).

And as they grow, their coloring is quite striking, with white stripes on the leg joints and a red abdomen.

I don't actually tong feed them (as in let them take food right from the tongs), but tongs should be considered a basic necessity for tarantula maintenance. Not only do you avoid having your finger mistaken for food, but you also avoid exposing your hands to urticating hairs. (Your hands may itch for days if they come in contact with urticating hairs, and if the hairs get in your eyes, that requires medical treatment.)

Search this forum for Acanthoscurria geniculata. Post questions if anything seems unclear.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  12. Nephila Edulis

Nephila Edulis Arachnoknight Active Member

I wish I lived somewhere I could catch a wild tarantula. When I was a kid all the big and impressive spiders were either out of reach high up on walls or were way too venomous for an over-enthusiastic little boy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Nephila Edulis

Normally they're in burrows or under logs. Mature males would be the most common ones to find because they will go wandering in search of a female

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Nephila Edulis

Nice choice! They're really beautiful and are apparently just a stomach with fangs :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. mconnachan

Use the search option on this forum, you'll find all the information you need on here, I've just done another search, all you'll need to put in the search option is "A. geniculata care"
    Yes get tongs, they're a must have, especially with this species, they assume everything is food, so when you're removing boluses you will need to use the tongs. You don't want your fingers becoming dinner!

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. scott308

scott308 Arachnosquire

A. geniculata is a great looking spider that you should be quite happy with. Just make sure you never stick your fingers in the enclosure, even if you just mean to get something quickly and the spider is on the other side of the tank- if it wants to, the spider will be able to move faster than you can react. They assume everything is food until they bite it and decide otherwise, so the tongs are a must when handling anything in their tank. This board is the best site for the information you will want and need. Make good use of the search function. Avoid care-sheets from other sites or pet stores. The vast majority of them are full of bad information, and most pet stores have no idea how to care for tarantulas, and have a financial interest in trying to convince you that you need extra equipment that truthfully is unnecessary, such as hygrometers and thermometers. Do not shoot for specific humidity numbers (in this case not an issue since the species likes substrate that is on the drier side) and unless you keep your house very cold, you shouldn't need to have any additional heat. General rule of thumb is that if you are comfortable, the spider should be ok.

Welcome to the hobby and the board!

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  17. mconnachan

Quite right, why oh why do these idiots still continue to give useless care advice is beyond me, the best place to search for care on any species is right here on AB of course.;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. KingDontay

KingDontay Arachnopeon

Good setup for it while its so small?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  19. PidderPeets

PidderPeets Arachnoknight Active Member

How big is the sling? If it's a small sling, that's probably too big. I don't know if those are the average sized kritter keeper, but I didn't put any of my Ts in one until they were at least 2 inches