1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm new to this world

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by KingDontay, Jul 13, 2017.

1. Anoplogaster

Anoplogaster Arachnobaron Active Member

Advertisement
    I was skeptical in the early days, too. But I have had zero issues with receiving them through the mail. As long as they are packed properly, and are shipped overnight, things generally work out nicely. Also, responsible sellers will often have a temperature range rule, where they will not ship if there is a chance the animal might experience extreme temperatures (either too hot or too cold), and they will advise you to wait for more ideal weather before shipping. The sellers on this site also have review comments. Browse around, and find the folks that know what they're doing:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. I do apologise for not zooming in and noticing this was a mature male. I do like MMs to reach their potential and have a chance to breed.
    I was just excited to have someone get interested in a hobby I love.
    With pesticides and destroyed habitats, I am not as against (non near-extinction) wild-caught as some. Ironically, I always considered myself an ecologist thinker. :eek:

So... I am always happy when someone discovers the thrill of T keeping.

OP -- please do get some captive bred T you can enjoy (you've got a setup anyway) -- it's a wonderful hobby and has provided joy and stress relief in my own life. :)

• Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I have never had a DOA. All of my Ts were purchased online. You may be able to rescue a pet store T.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. beaker41

beaker41 Arachnoknight

I wouldn't be nervous about it, any established reputable tarantula seller will ship responsibility and send you the stock you want. Personally I've only run into issues with a couple dealers out of many over the years. It's easy to figure out which ones can be a problem by browsing the review section here at AB.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Anoplogaster

I typically view this as support for that side of their business. If you give them money for the T, it just encourages them to continue selling:bucktooth:.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. I know -- it's pathetic to call a pet store purchase as a 'rescue' anyway. I figure they replace their Ts whether they die in in the store or sell them. Pathetic, but true.
    I rescued a beardie from a pet store. I figure they'd have replaced him whether he sold or died in their care. Beyond abominable.
    Again, pathetic. But true.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. KingDontay

KingDontay Arachnopeon

He is released.
    (He's the black mass underneath)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 3
  8. KingDontay

KingDontay Arachnopeon

They do. I have lots of "feeder" rats from pet stores. They can't help where they come from.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoking Active Member

Good choice. Im not crazy about WC males, but a female is fine IMO.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. You've won a lot of respect here today! I am so sorry, again, I didn't notice it was a mature male -- I feel so horrible not to have considered it. I was just so impressed with your desire to provide a T a good home.
    Please don't give up over this mature male. Tarantulas are amazing pets. Mine make me smile daily. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. KingDontay

KingDontay Arachnopeon

I was hoping for a female. But I'll have better luck buying one.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. KingDontay

KingDontay Arachnopeon

I won't. I've been wanting one for awhile anyway. I thought it was fate.

• Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Anoplogaster

And even if you raise a sling and it turns out to be male, you can always loan or sell him to a breeder who needs males.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. [still ranting at self: it was only 3 inches!!!!] Never considered MM could be so small. :(
    I am guilty of always wanting a happy ending. :(
    Really thought you'd rescued a young sub-adult.

Same here.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  15. KingDontay

KingDontay Arachnopeon

I thought he was young as well. Well I might get the one from the pet store. Its been here for over 7 months in a critter carrier.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Arachnoprince Active Member

Tarantulas don't have the mental hardware to appreciate "freedom" vs. captivity; nor can they be domesticated or tamed. A captive tarantula often lives in much the same way as a wild one: moving very little while waiting for food. If you are providing for its basic needs, it's "happy."

I don't have a problem with taking wild tarantulas (as long as it's not an endangered species, and the wild population is not being adversely affected). Even the captive-bred supply in the hobby may sometimes need to be invigorated with fresh bloodlines from the wild.

However, I would not keep a mature male, as his days are numbered, and he is primarily interested in wandering in search of a female.

That being said, I generally prefer captive-bred tarantulas unless there is a good reason to take a wild-caught one (lack of supply in the hobby, desire to restore pure bloodlines to muddied species, etc.). Wild-caught tarantulas may also be more likely to have parasites or other health issues.

I won't be buying any more tarantulas from stores that do not properly care for their tarantulas. I prefer to give my money to people who have tarantulas' best interests in mind.

If you don't know any local sellers, you can check out exotic pet shows. Every time I've been to Repticon, there have been a few tables with tarantulas, and I rarely leave without a new eight-legged friend. You can save on shipping and meet other hobbyists and breeders in your area.(If you aren't good at remembering names, bring a wish list of species that interest you, preferably with scientific names listed.)

Shipping will work fine most of the time, but I understand being wary of it for your first purchase and/or wanting to avoid shipping costs. Still, sometimes that is the only option for a particular species you want, and there are many reputable sellers to choose from. Most offer a live arrival guarantee (LAG) if the weather is not too hot or cold, and you pay for express delivery. You can read reviews of these businesses on Arachnoboards, and you may want to Google them as well.

Another good place to look is our Classifieds section. (You can search that board for particular species, usually listed by scientific name.) Read the seller's reviews before purchasing. (You can find the seller's reviews by clicking his or her user name and clicking "Reviews & Reports Page.")

Of course, you should also post a review after the transaction is complete! Whether the experience is good or bad, it helps your fellow hobbyists to know.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Award Award x 1
  17. Its wrong to do. How would you like it if someone snatched you up and locked you in a cage?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. ShyDragoness

ShyDragoness Arachnosquire Active Member

I got all my T's online with no DOA's ^w^

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. mconnachan

mconnachan Arachnoprince Active Member

There's nothing to be nervous about pal, we've all ordered T's online, look on the classified section on this Forum, you'll come across countless sp. and great breeders, they're really great at packaging them safely, and LAG is provided (Live Arrival Guarantee) so there's no need to worry or not to buy online, hope this encourages you to buy your first T online. Good luck with your search, there are hundreds of superb starter species. All of my tarantulas have been online purchases, I don't have a store that sells spiders in my area, you always get a better choice online as well, I mostly go for 4-5 so the purchase is economical, 1 at a time is very expensive with P&P and LAG. But if you only want one at the moment then go for it, well worth the cash for these fascinating creatures.

• Love Love x 1
  20. Trenor

Trenor Arachnoprince Active Member

NC
    I don't get the whole it's cruel to have a wild caught tarantula thinking. They all come from wild caught (and most from smuggled) origins. Why does one think that a sling born into captivity is somehow different than one that was born in the wild?

Saying you don't like the wild caught pet trade cause often it more about money than care for the animals.. fine.

This is a individual that caught a single local species and they want to provide a good home for it. Granted a male would be better of left to roam and breed but if she went out and found a female whats the harm? If she wants to take one local tarantula out of the wild and take care of it then that's fine IMO.

Saying a tarantula that was captive bred is any better adjusted to life in a box when they don't have the mental capacity to adjust or be tamed is not valid IMO. They don't have the cognitive ability to know they are captive so as long as their needs are met what the harm?

The local pet store here sells green and brown anoles which are native to NC. They are literally everywhere around my house 10 miles from the store. Why would you buy one? That's just silly to me. The captive bred lizard it no more adjusted to being a pet than the ones I caught and kept as a kid.

Yes, some animals (including us) have the ability to understand captivity. If you catch a wild rabbit most of the time it will die.. usually from shock. There are lots of other examples of animals that when born in the wild don't do well in captivity. This really isn't the case for a tarantula.

Saying: How would you feel if someone snatched you up is not a valid comparison since we have the mental capacity to know where were captives and they do not. It's like saying how would that plant feel if we dug it up out of the woods and gave it a good home in our yard. That T doesn't know it's any more a captive than that plant does.

To the OP: If it was me, I'd take my time, find a nice local female and give it a good home. Best of luck.

• Agree x 5
    • Like x 4
    • Award x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Lollipop x 1