I'm new to this world

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
How big is the sling? If it's a small sling, that's probably too big. I don't know if those are the average sized kritter keeper, but I didn't put any of my Ts in one until they were at least 2 inches
The vent holes might pose an escape risk as well (for a tiny sling).

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
The vent holes might pose an escape risk as well (for a tiny sling).
That was exactly my concern. I should have been more specific.

@KingDontay, giving us the size of your new addition would be incredibly helpful. But if it's truly a sling (the definition varies, but I personally consider a sling anything under 2 inches), then I'd put it in a smaller container with smaller ventilation holes. In an enclosure that's too big or has too large ventilation holes, you could risk the little baby not being able to find food, or it even being able to escape

Nephila Edulis

Arachnoknight
Good setup for it while its so small?
As long as the T can't escape, feels secure and is safe then it should be fine. Just make sure it has a place to hide and burrow under and that it's in an easy enough spot to feed it (just makes the process of feeding it much easier), also be careful of feeder insects escaping into the enclosure, a runaway cricket can eat a moulting tarantula.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
That setup looks pretty good for a larger sling/juvi.

What T species are you getting and what size? Depending on the size (it's likely to be smaller than 1 inch as a sling) I'd get a clear deli cup and set it up.

Here are a few 2oz comdiment cups I setup for tiny slings (1/8th of an inch sling).

Here is a 4oz condiment cup setup.

16oz deli cup for 3/4 or larger slings.

Not really showing much of a setup but here is one of my G.pulchripes in it's 16oz deli cup.

We can help out with the setup once we know the species and size it'll be.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Looks good from what I can see
Depends on the size of your sling if it truly is a sling a deli cup with holes small enough that the sling can't escape no larger than the size of the carapace, use a sharp drawing pin to make the holes, fill the cup about half full if it's 2oz that's the way I keep all my true slings - 1cm or so.

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
The sling is 1" currently.
That enclosure is on the big side for something that small, but a genic should be able to grow into it relatively quickly. As long as the carapace can't fit through the vents, it should be okay. Even if it's abdomen is massive compared to the vents, it could still escape if it can fit it's carapace through it. I don't have experience with that species in particular, but I know at least my slings would have been able to get out of a kritter keeper at only a 1 inch legspan. Just check it's carapace compared to the size of the vents. If it's carapace looks like it can fit through the vents, either rehouse the sling into something smaller with smaller holes, or make that enclosure so that the sling can't get to the vents. I believe other members have had luck with using packing tape over the outermost layer of vents. If you can see for a fact that it's carapace is larger than the vents, it's fine as is.