Hello there, why not take a few seconds to register on our forums and become part of the community? Just click here.

Wild Aphonopelma in Southern California

Discussion in 'Field Trips (Natural Habitats)' started by GQ., Nov 5, 2006.

1. dtknow

dtknow Arachnoking Old Timer

CA
    Advertisement
    Southernstyle: Just ask around. Doesn't have to be any particular nature person as the males are pretty conspicious when they cross roads.

GQ: Do you have vinegaroons or anything else in your area in SoCal?

2. cacoseraph

cacoseraph ArachnoGod Old Timer

in southern CA there are about 10-15 species of Aphonopelma tarantula, another 10-15 non-theraphosidae mygalomorphae spiders, hundreds of true spider species, something like 15 species and subspecies of scorpions, 4-5 species of giant centipedes, pepsis or hemipepsis wasps, dozens or hundreds of ant species, dozens or hundreds of stone centipedes...

it's might expensive to live out here.... but WELL worth it!

check out this thread for links to google image searches for a lot of the non-thera myg's in CA
    http://venomlist.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14075

3. Ewok

Ewok Arachnoangel

wow you are lucky to have all those tarantula and scorpion species out there in CA!

4. WYSIWYG

WYSIWYG SpiderLoco Old Timer

Aphonopelma eutylenum Sling

I have what is supposedly a captive bred aphonopelma eutylenum sling I bought about 6 or 7 YEARS ago. It is still a sling after all this time. I rarely see it eat, but it's growing and its abdomen is pretty hefty. He/she is getting ready to molt again. It's maybe an inch now, but it was only only about 1/8 of an inch when I first bought it. I'd heard they are really slow growers, but I didn't expect to still have a sling after all this time. :p

Would be cool if it turned out to be female. :)

5. 7 years and is still a sling? thats crazy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.