Wild Aphonopelma in Southern California

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Southernstyle: Just ask around. Doesn't have to be any particular nature person as the males are pretty conspicious when they cross roads.

GQ: Do you have vinegaroons or anything else in your area in SoCal?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
in southern CA there are about 10-15 species of Aphonopelma tarantula, another 10-15 non-theraphosidae mygalomorphae spiders, hundreds of true spider species, something like 15 species and subspecies of scorpions, 4-5 species of giant centipedes, pepsis or hemipepsis wasps, dozens or hundreds of ant species, dozens or hundreds of stone centipedes...

it's might expensive to live out here.... but WELL worth it!

check out this thread for links to google image searches for a lot of the non-thera myg's in CA
http://venomlist.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14075

Ewok

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
wow you are lucky to have all those tarantula and scorpion species out there in CA!

WYSIWYG

SpiderLoco
Old Timer
Aphonopelma eutylenum Sling

Interesting. So it probably takes around 5-7 years for these guys to mature.

Any companion observations of any you have in captivity if you ever collected any? Your photos look pretty similar to the ones we have here(3 tone color etc.)
I have what is supposedly a captive bred aphonopelma eutylenum sling I bought about 6 or 7 YEARS ago. It is still a sling after all this time. I rarely see it eat, but it's growing and its abdomen is pretty hefty. He/she is getting ready to molt again. It's maybe an inch now, but it was only only about 1/8 of an inch when I first bought it. I'd heard they are really slow growers, but I didn't expect to still have a sling after all this time. :p

Would be cool if it turned out to be female. :)

radjess331

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have what is supposedly a captive bred aphonopelma eutylenum sling I bought about 6 or 7 YEARS ago. It is still a sling after all this time. I rarely see it eat, but it's growing and its abdomen is pretty hefty. He/she is getting ready to molt again. It's maybe an inch now, but it was only only about 1/8 of an inch when I first bought it. I'd heard they are really slow growers, but I didn't expect to still have a sling after all this time. :p

Would be cool if it turned out to be female. :)
7 years and is still a sling? thats crazy