Why herpers shouldnt keep spiders

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
Now, don't take this the wrong way, but do you really expect anyone to take the above message seriously? Bill wasn't talking about typos, Bill is talking about your excessive use of "netspeak", a practice that I quietly abhor, Bill's just not so quiet. Your entire reply is exactly what prompted his gentle but snide commentary.

I'm a big fan of the English language and, while I'm not bothered by occasional misspellings or "proper" use of slang, or even the chopped English from foreign speakers, seeing people who almost certainly do know better deliberately butcher it just so they can save a keystroke or two and/or look cool is annoying. If you want people to "hear" what you say, it's best that you say it clearly and intelligently. Using 'every1' and 'y' is neither clear nor intelligent, it's just gibberish that has no semantical meaning except among a group of people with no respect for the written word.

Don't take this personally, I have absolutely nothing against you, but people have tried to point this out to you more than once and it seems to be going right over your head. Since you felt the need to answer Bill's post the way you did, I'll come out of my shell for the moment.
ok then "why" couldnt of u just told me that in PM? its a force of habit every1 i speak too uses the "netslang" its just the way ive come to learn to type now u know what the word means so y does it bother u???

caligulathegod

Arachnodeity
Old Timer
1+ C0ul|) |-|a\/3 833|\| \/\/0r53.

4T Le4S+ 1+ 1$|\|'t Thi5 4|\|n0y1|\|9 l337 5pE@|<

[translation]It could have been worse. At least it isn't this annoying elite speak[/translation]

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by caligulathegod
1+ C0ul|) |-|a\/3 833|\| \/\/0r53.

4T Le4S+ 1+ 1$|\|'t Thi5 4|\|n0y1|\|9 l337 5pE@|<

[translation]It could have been worse. At least it isn't this annoying elite speak[/translation]
lol i thought it was called l33t? :p

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by Grael
ok then "why" couldnt of u just told me that in PM? its a force of habit every1 i speak too uses the "netslang" its just the way ive come to learn to type now u know what the word means so y does it bother u???
Honestly.
I've been shatting since. Gods for a LONG time. I think it's coming up on eight years now.
When my first computer was a MOnster and the modem was about as fast as snail mail.

I have Never used netspeak.
I just never saw the point.
It's only a few more letters to type and honestly.
When I have to read it I usualy have to go over it once or twice again to allow my eyes and brain to translate.

And I am far from a stupid woman.

My oldest daughter started using it and I promptly told her to type right or get the hells of my machine.
She writes Beautiful work and is in gifted and talented for language arts and creative writting.
I don't and will not see her fall to ruining her typing skills by butchering it.

This is NOT an attack.

Don't take it as one.
Just attempting to explian Why so many find it annoying.
To myself.
I see it as simple lazyness.

No offence intended.
But it's Not difficult or time consuming to type you instead of u.

Two more keys. No biggy.

Mercy knows we all as individuals typo and mispell enough without adding to it.
I am a typo Goddess.
And I butcher the Hell out of spelling.

But I Do try to be as clear as I possably can to make it easier for those that would read my questions to help me with my curiosities and worries and in general help educate me with their better experience.

Ok. Enough of my preaching.

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
yea i know nixy what u mean but when i started using the net ( i was like 14) ive never been the best of spellers and a lot of ppl arnt either ive always heard a certain rule when using the net "type how u say it" i think this way makes reading more intersting give thier posts or messages etc more personality coz u cant hear thier accent so it kinda comes out in thier typing i find proper english very boring if every1 uses it and has no personality

well thats my preaching lol

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Originally posted by Grael
ive always heard a certain rule when using the net "type how u say it"
I'd like you to read what you just said there and think about it...

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Code Monkey
I'd like you to read what you just said there and think about it...
i just did.....and u dont get it? say like im welsh and i type in my slang and accent if u like like sometimes u will hear me say words like "mun" or "tidy" slang.....adds more personality to that persons words....

Valael

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Eh, I'm going to jump on Code Monkey's side. I may not be the most articulate person out there (Very, very, very far from it.) but I also despise anyone who can't take the time to spell out a word.

u, y, ne1, every1, r, etc.

It really doesn't get you anywhere fast, and no matter how Pro-Net speak you are, you can't deny the fact that you look 10x less intellegent when you say "Y do u h8 my netspeak so much?"

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Valael
Eh, I'm going to jump on Code Monkey's side. I may not be the most articulate person out there (Very, very, very far from it.) but I also despise anyone who can't take the time to spell out a word.

u, y, ne1, every1, r, etc.

It really doesn't get you anywhere fast, and no matter how Pro-Net speak you are, you can't deny the fact that you look 10x less intellegent when you say "Y do u h8 my netspeak so much?"
well almost 98% of the ppl i speak too use it its kinda like a net accent like if u grew up in liverpool u would have a liverpool accent :p

ok ok ill try to stop myself and ill start to type veyr formally and neat and tidy and very english (shudder) god cant win with you ppl lol

Aboreal Rayne

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wow, this thread has gotten way out of hand. Why don't you all kiss and make up? Also I hear Hooked on Phonics can do wonders. :?

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Aboreal Rayne
wow, this thread has gotten way out of hand. Why don't you all kiss and make up? Also I hear Hooked on Phonics can do wonders. :?
wha?????lol

yea just deleted all the off topic posts...

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
(makes kissy faces at everyone)

SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCHES!!

I think everyone should don pink ballet slippers to reorient themselves to the subject of the thread.

I Would add tu tu's.... But I think that would frighten our spiders.

I know mine would be screaming up they're tank walls.

No wait,, that would be the pinktoe thread..

Um....

Oh hell lets all don tu tu's and slippers Anyway!

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by krystal
|)o|\|'+ |\/|4|<3 |\/|3 1/2 2 uze g0|)'5 i 4g4i|\| !
Translation would be " don't make me have to use gods eye again."

Right?

Never actualy Looked at that kind of type before to try translating it.
OI Yerk it makes my brain go.
"Erk? *Screeeeeeeech,,, ~Sounds of breaking things~ Crunch.....* Huh?"

AudreyElizabeth

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
quite a silly assumption

What does being a herper have to do with overfeeding inverts????? Most serious herpers take the time to learn about their pets before they get them, and spend a lot of time and money making the perfect habit before they ever bring the animal home. Truly, keeping herps the right way prepared me to get into invertebrates as pets, not to mention all the extra terrium supplies I already had on hand.......If I didn't know better I'd let that statement make me mad! ;P

Ropes4u

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Actually unless you go to school AND get a degree you are a hobbiest.. but thats just my 2 cents.

Ropes

Chris

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow this sure blew up when I wasnt around to keep track!

I swear... I could say I love my mother and someone on this site would get offended!!!

I keep reptiles as well as inverts... and I keep them all in great shape. It was meant as a shot at people who don't keep inverts but assume they know about them because they keep reptiles.

This particular person I was making fun of is a real knob and deserves to be laughed at by invert keepers... but I should have known there would be people crying foul just like every other thread that has ever been started.

Life must be a bitch when your skin is that thin eh?