Who's behind the computer - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That's enough!
Ok guys, this is going to be the only warning. Take the arguements to PM or e-mail. Anymore public, off topic scrapping and there's going to be some vacations form the Watering Hole.

Atrax

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Atrax said:
That's enough!
Ok guys, this is going to be the only warning. Take the arguements to PM or e-mail. Anymore public, off topic scrapping and there's going to be some vacations form the Watering Hole.

Atrax
Looks like I'm going to Maui! {D

Mad Hatter

Arachnofriend
Old Timer
Back on topic (this thread is for posting pics, right? :) ).... here are some poor quality pics of me (blame the webcam)

Last edited:

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
guesskatiejules said:
Easy...heehee.....to.....impress......heeheee......?

*falls on the floor, clutching gut, attempting to stop laughter*
You actually think guys are hard to impress???

I never thought that would come from you, you seem to have plenty of the most impressive thing a woman can have...

you know, the one that starts with Br and ends in ain ;-)

PS
Your signature seems to be solid true...
I hate it...

Last edited:

guesskatiejules

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
genious_gr said:
PS
Your signature seems to be solid true...
I hate it...
Give it time, give it time. When I prove it wrong myself, I'll take it down. Promise. :)

And yes, guys seem harder to impress than that. It seems that way, anyway. Maybe you all are simpler than I thought...... ;)

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
here's another of my crack shot daughter :)
This is her Walther P 22 that she got for her birthday last year. For those of you that will be appalled, I've included her dad's hand behind her for adult proximity. Also, please note the use of ear and eye protection ;)

Attachments

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Im not appaled but I have a problem finding the logic in putting a firearm in the hand of a child. Just as little as I would let my kid hook my rattlers I wouldnt let her shot until 18. Some hobbys are for adults.

/Lelle

Israel2004

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Crotalus said:
Im not appaled but I have a problem finding the logic in putting a firearm in the hand of a child. Just as little as I would let my kid hook my rattlers I wouldnt let her shot until 18. Some hobbys are for adults.

/Lelle
Really really disagree with this statement, but hey to each his own.

PrincessToad

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Immortal_sin said:
This is her Walther P 22 that she got for her birthday last year.
I think that's great. Growing up in the North West that is something that is very common. You can't go to a shooting range here in Montana without seeing several children with their parents out practicing.

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Crotalus said:

/Lelle
It's an American thing, you wouldn't understand. I mean that literally.

America is a "gun culture". From the birth of the country to the "taming" of the west, guns have had a major part of our history. It is not uncommon for children to be taught how to handle and use a firearm at a very early age. There is even case for argument that if everyone taught their children as well as Immortal Sin appears to have done, there would be fewer gun accidents. I was taught how to handle and use a firearm at a very early age and was taken hunting many times before the age of 10 carrying my own firearm.

There are many aspects of European culture that I don't understand simply because I don't have the life experience to do so.

Botar

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Having grown up in a very rural area where cougars, bear, feral dogs, and rabid animals were all very real threats, my sister and I were taught to use guns at a very young age. We weren't allowed to leave the immediate area of the house without a gun, actually.

I think that a child learning to use a firearm under close supervision is fine. More responsible than hiding the gun and making it a big taboo so that the kid gets curious and goes to take a look at it on their own.

RazorRipley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Personally, Im not much of a gun fan... I sold mine a few years back, because I got to thinking, all they ever lead to is trouble. Besides why do animals need to be shot? So whats that leave? Paper targets? Not my thing, but too all of you who play Rambo with your ammo, hunt animals for game, shoot at a range, protect your homes, teach your kids to shoot, or even shoot each other, rock on with it! Ill stick to wasting money on overly priced arthropods.

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Theres a difference between regarding firearms to be for adults, and to regard them as just a sport equipment. I dont see it as a US vs. Europe thing, its just common sence to me.
I wonder if the old settlers would allow their kids blasting away with firearms? I doubt that. Thats just a argument for todays gun owners. I dont have a problem with guns or gun owners, I just dont think it belongs in a kids hand.
The gun accidents would probably decrease if people put their guns in locked gunsafes, but when keeping them in drawers and accessible for kids then theres no wonder accidents happen. I dont think its the kids who should first and foremost be teached how do handle guns, its the owners. Then you hopefully see fewer accidents.

Note: Im not saying immortalsin keep her guns in a drawer.

/Lelle

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Immortal_sin said:
Way to go, Shelby! I am all for children shooting firearms - in a trained adult supervised situation with all requisite safety gear (as shown in the photo). She is learning early on to respect a handgun, it's safe and proper use and its potential for improper use. I have met Shelby on two occasions and she is a brilliant young lady who certainly is capable of grasping the responsibilites of gun ownership. I agree fully with Botar's comment on the possibility that this sort of training would reduce gun accidents.

I was raised by a police chief and started shooting before I was 9. First a .22 long rifle and then a .22 pistol. There was never any chance that I would find one of my dad's guns and "play with it". That's because I learned early on that a gun is not a toy, but a tool, and because I was knowledgeable I never had the curious impulse that another child of the same age might have if he or she "discovered" a gun in the house.

I'm not sure if the Barbies comment was in jest, but there isn't anything that anyone at a certain age is supposed to do. I have no children, but I'd like to think that I would prefer my daughter to do what pleases her, and I personally believe that firearm training is a far better way to spend some time than learning BS about how a woman is supposed to look as represented by the glamor and exaggerated slender bustiness of the Barbie doll.

Cheers, Michael

Crotalus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
SpiderShoppe said:
That's because I learned early on that a gun is not a toy, but a tool, and because I was knowledgeable I never had the curious impulse that another child of the same age might have if he or she "discovered" a gun in the house.
Others dont have the same knowledge as you had when you were a kid and end up blasting their sibling or themselfs to pieces.
And if the parent keep the guns locked away, then the possibility of the kid "discovering" it is gone.

/Lelle

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Alright, to get this thread on topic...

"Who's behind the computer" is nobody. But I am in front of this one.

Cheers, Michael

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
Crotalus said:
I wonder if the old settlers would allow their kids blasting away with firearms? I doubt that.
might want to do some research on that ;) "Where The Red Fern Grows" is an American classic, i forget the author...main character in that book is quite young and through out the novel he almost always has his .22 rifle. Not quite the settler days but not far from it either. I know it's a fiction novel but I'm sure it would not be hard to find some factual evidence of settlers teaching/allowing their children to use firearms. I just don't have the time, got to go to work ASAP (out sick yesterday and slept half the day today).

as for gun accidents...yes, if people would lock up their guns correctly that would indeed help. On the other hand, unlocking a pistol from a gun cabinet and loading it (or putting in the clip) doesn't make much sense if there's somebody in the house who shouldn't be there. I [wholeheartedly] agree that children should be taught guns at an early age (not sure exactly when...i wasn't allowed to have my own rifle *.22 Remington* until I was 10...but I would do target practice with my dad). I was taught guns are NOT toys and whoa be to me if I was ever caught playing around with one. If children are not taught about firearms they will indeed become curious should they ever find one and THAT is when accidents are more likely to occur. Adult supervision should be required at all times, proper gun use is something that should be taught if guns are to be kept around the house. All the kids I grew up with knew how to shoot guns and most of them would go hunting with their father (and sometimes mother). The one gun "accident" that I recall in my small town (my dad was the volunteer ambulance driver) involved some kids (13-16 years old) watching "Young Guns II" (movie about Billy The Kid iirc) in the basement of one of them's house and one was cleaning a rifle. Well...supposedly was cleaning the rifle (.30-06 i think), i've never been positive about that myself, and accidentally dropped it or did something and it went off...shooting one of the other boys in the head. Dad said when they got there there were brains, fragments of skull, and blood all over the wall and the kid who had the rifle was hiding in a corner in the bathroom scared as hell, so maybe it was an accident. No charges were ever pressed that I know of. These kids were not from a family where hunting played much of a role, I don't know how much proper gun etiquette they had been taught, blah blah...but they weren't the most responsible kids in town either. I think the mother was upstairs watching TV or something. Curiosity killed the cat/child...

anyway..case in point, gun accidents are fairly rare (wish i had some statistics to cite), especially in homes where guns are not treated as some mystical object that the children are taught never to touch...but are taught how to fire them and how to use them responsibly as well as all the safety aspects (never point a gun at another person regardless if it's loaded or not, never play with guns, etc).

Guns don't kill people...people kill people...and the people who kill people WITH guns either do it out of malice or as a result of an accidental discharge (most of the time...there are other circumstances but they are rarer).

nice pic Immortal :) used to love shooting my dad's lil .22 pistol, i forget what kind it was though.

Status
Not open for further replies.