Who molted today?

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
One of my two Ornithoctoninae sp. "Phan Cay Blue" molted today (both of them have been in premolt for weeks now and the other should also be ready to go any day now). This is the really fat one that I complained about not molting. I can't take a good picture of it at the moment but the legs look MUCH longer and thicker than before, so hopefully there was a massive size increase!

Edit: Just got a glimpse of it stretching (sadly behind a dense web curtain, so no good pictures possible) and I think it gained almost an inch and a half of DLS with this molt, putting it around 3.5" DLS...

Last edited:

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
my first ever A.geniculata.All the years,never had one,so got as a freebie.To see what all the hype was about. DSCN1905.JPG

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
Well, instead of my other Ornithoctoninae sp. "Phan Cay Blue" (which should molt any day now), my Pamphobeteus sp. "Manganegra" sling decided to join the Molt Marathon. Wish it luck....it's going to need it given the presence of a surviving feeder cricket that I didn't notice in time.

Update:

Update 2: I think my second "Phan Cay Blue" might be molting right at this moment-can't make out much through the web, but I might have seen pale legs being slowly pulled out of the old exuviae. Fingers crossed. That would be two long-waited molts and a third, unexpected molt within the past three days.

Update 3: yep, the second Phan Cay molt is happening. First time I've had two molts in a single day.

Within the past month I've had 3/5 of my pokies (metallica, regalis, one of the three ornata slings), my SAF Ornithoctoninae sp. "Haribon", one of my Phormingochilus everetti slings, and now both my "Phan Cay Blue"s and my Pamphobeteus all molt. I suspect my A. genic sling and juvie Omothymus violacepes are next on the list-both have molted fairly recently, but I have reasons to think they'd be molting in another month as the sling has gone off food and the O. violacepes has started webbing extensively.

Last edited:

Pedipalpable

Arachnosquire
My 1” 0.0.1 Acanthoscurria geniculata sling “Squeaky” molted last night while I was sleeping. Though I cannot be sure, just by eyeballing it I would say that they are now roughly 1.5” at a conservative estimate. Possibly more. In any case, they are definitely markedly larger.
714932B9-ADE7-4E96-A2E2-EF39080FC521.jpeg

Not the best photo I realize. All I have to work with currently is my 6+ year old iPhone and the enclosure has an opaque top and is in a dimmer corner of the room. I didn’t want to use the flash or lift the top off to avoid disturbing Squeaky. I enhanced the photo a bit to make it clearer.

And for anyone wondering where the name Squeaky came from, it’s short for “Squeaky clean,” after the fact that they are usually grooming at some point during the day. We’ll see how well it holds up when they become a hulking 8” beast. ;)

Attachments

Last edited:

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Small Chilobrachys fimbriatus female molted some time recently, Pterinichilus murinus TCF female molted (pictured) and so did my Y. diversipes #2
DSC_0299.jpg DSC_0298-2.jpg

Last edited:

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
P. irminia sling molted overnight last night. Terrible photo through the webbed up enclosure wall:
PXL_20230405_123617224.jpg

Took me a minute to sort out all the limbs. It helped when the new legs moved and the old ones didn't.
PXL_20230405_124546208.jpg
Probably at least 2" now.

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
One of my G. pulchra slings bought to resell molted to 4i. Its a girl! :) T. violaceus sling and N. incei olive sling molted, also female.

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bumba horrida, my larger female molted. Biggest female Pamphobeteus sp. "mascara" is molting right now.

Last edited: