Who molted today?

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
0.0.1 Davus ruficeps molted today. It took all of 10 minutes - I watered it, all was normal, came back 10 minutes later and it was done. I guess when you're less than 1/2" it doesn't take long to get out of that old suit. 🤣
20230215_160936.jpg

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
My (approximately) 9 year old G. pulchripes began to moult last night, and it appears to have done okay. No sign of mating hooks that I can see after a cursory look this morning, so I'm thinking it is probably female, but I am hedging my bets until I can take a better look.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
A bit late but Aphonopelma mooreae molted a few weeks ago. Really deep blues with this one

View attachment 439351
Mine molted too....... to 3i :grumpy: .

In addition to a 0.0.1 A. mooreae, I pulled molts this week from:
  • 0.1.1 Phormingochilus sp Akcaya
  • 0.0.2 Tapinauchenius rasti
  • 0.0.1 Aphonopelma marxi
  • 0.0.1 Aphonopelma sp Dragoons
Managed to get a picture of one of the fresh T. rasti last night through the enclosure:
20230216_224904.jpg

And a pic of the now 3i Aphonopelma marxi, also through the enclosure:
20230216_224935.jpg

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
The normal Aphonopelma growth, huh? Lol

Yeah, I think mine are mutants lol all of them have had fantastic growth
I'm hopeful that I can positively influence the growth rate of most of the Aphonopelma slings I recently acquired lol. I've had quite a few molt already, but I haven't had a specimen molt twice yet to better judge effectiveness.

A guy

Arachnobaron
I'm hopeful that I can positively influence the growth rate of most of the Aphonopelma slings I recently acquired lol. I've had quite a few molt already, but I haven't had a specimen molt twice yet to better judge effectiveness.
The most obvious thing I've noticed with my Aphonopelmas was most of their substrates don't absorb water that well, when I do watering; it just puddles up and evaporates after some time.

Now, with my mooreae specimens it's different for some reason. Their substrate absorbs water really well and holds it for quite some time, making their enclosures have quite the moisture levels I'm assuming. Actually, some would say too moist for Aphonopelma species. Maybe that's what I'm doing right? I don't know but that's my observation.

Dementeddoll

Arachnoknight
I’ve had a couple of my lil dudes molt but I’m afraid to add my O.violaceopes died a week after it molted. I was about to feed it when I saw it dead outside it’s burrow. ☹💔ugh…..no curled legs or nothing was just normal posture just dead. Idk why it hurts so much when you have a loss. Although people say it’s just a dumb spider. I was really looking forward to this one since it was in premolt for a long time compared to my other slings and it had packed on size this molt. It seemed fine. Temp, and everything was to par. Then I just doubt myself when this happens. 😔 I had my other H. Pulchripes sling, P. Metallica, Ephebopus Murinus, and one of my C. Lividus molt since I last logged in here and my o.violaceopes. All have been fine except my violaceopes. 💔

Shinn

Arachnosquire
Phormictopus sp. Green sling molting. Been overdue for a while and it is a pleasant surprise to catch it molting today.
20230218_200415.jpg

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Encyocratella olivacea sling just molted. Maybe I'll get to sex it this time.
20230219_134741.jpg

Cmoore0475

Arachnopeon
No photos yet but my d. pentaloris molted about 5 days ago. Fed it tonight because he had blackened up nicely and abdomen looked horribly shriveled compare to before! Biggest happy dance I’ve seen any of my Ts make to date! Tried to film but he stopped as soon as I approached with phone and hid under her legs. Not a huge difference in size that I can tell still around 3.25 dls. Green bottle molted yesterday and wow what a change in color and size! Finally started into adult colorations big time and probably went from 2.75 to 3.25 inches dls! I’ll send pics soon

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Another one molted today - Euathlus truculentus (blue femur) sling. Molt was 1.125" DLS:
20230219_172441.jpg
20230219_172613.jpg
20230219_173831.jpg

And I was able to confirm it is female!
20230219_213302.jpg

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Those are excellent quality images! May i ask, what lens/microscope do you use?
Thanks! These photos are just with my Samsung S22 phone, but I also use an Olympus TG6 with macro settings. The magnification is with a Carson Pocket Microbrite pocket microscope that you can get from Amazon for like $15 - it'll do 60X to 120X magnification and has been super helpful. Then I just use my phone to take a pick through the lens of the scope.

IvanOoze

Arachnopeon
Thanks! These photos are just with my Samsung S22 phone, but I also use an Olympus TG6 with macro settings. The magnification is with a Carson Pocket Microbrite pocket microscope that you can get from Amazon for like $15 - it'll do 60X to 120X magnification and has been super helpful. Then I just use my phone to take a pick through the lens of the scope.
I will be ordering one asap. Thank you for your reply:)

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
I’ve had a couple of my lil dudes molt but I’m afraid to add my O.violaceopes died a week after it molted. I was about to feed it when I saw it dead outside it’s burrow. ☹💔ugh…..no curled legs or nothing was just normal posture just dead. Idk why it hurts so much when you have a loss. Although people say it’s just a dumb spider. I was really looking forward to this one since it was in premolt for a long time compared to my other slings and it had packed on size this molt. It seemed fine. Temp, and everything was to par. Then I just doubt myself when this happens. 😔 I had my other H. Pulchripes sling, P. Metallica, Ephebopus Murinus, and one of my C. Lividus molt since I last logged in here and my o.violaceopes. All have been fine except my violaceopes. 💔
We can get attached to any animal whose company and care we are committed to. The loss of a beloved pet it hard, regardless of how many legs it has.
I'm sorry for your loss.

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
It's molting time in my T room... This evening it was:

0.1 Davus sp. Panama (Pelé) - 1.125" DLS premolt

Flipped:
20230220_195820.jpg

In progress (a little blurry):
20230220_220342.jpg

And out (but still on her back, stretching her tarsal claws):
20230220_232946.jpg