What species is tis scorpion?

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
What I meant by current list, is the species which I have on my list (in my computer library of scorpions) as being from Brazil. I have none of the above named species because of the lack of ability to import from there. I don't really want to go to jail, even if it is free room and board.

adios,
edw. =D

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
haha, i kinda figured that, but i was reading the "invert lists" in the watering hole, and you seem to have a LOT of scorpions, haha =D

ThiagoMassa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks Chad Lee, I´ll go search for this book. I hope finding it here, in Brazil, importation is too much expensive here. Well, if its a book about the scorpions from BRAZIL, i think i´ll find it in BRAZIL! ;)

Thanks again

Massa

ThiagoMassa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks Edward but I think I won´t need the subspecies of this "little" list you posted. hehehe But if I find somethig but a T. serrulatus and a T. fasciolatus, I show you the pic and you ID! hahahahaha
About the T. serrulatus, all of them are yellow coloured? And the T. fasciolatus?
Oh, i´d really love to see your scorps too. Post a pic for us!

hugs
Massa

ThiagoMassa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I changed the setup of her tank, about that tree bark, I was afraid of bacteria, but now I have no way to degree the humidity. any way, i´m keeping the tank closed..
I put the same water "dish"...
any suggestions please post it here.

thanks
Massa

Attachments

Last edited:

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by XOskeletonRED
Paul, that is some excellent info, but do keep in mind, it has been stated that Tityus serrulatus and Tityus stigmurus may be the same species and stigmurus simply be a subspecies of serrulatus, so I wouldn't doubt T. stigmurus having the obtainability of the same potency of venom as serrulatus.
Edward,

Thanks, I'd love to have the entire book! I have excerpts, and those that I have are awesome!!

Do you know if the two are similar in appearance or are there coloration differences? I don't have anything on T. stigmurus.

Best wishes,

Paul

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awesome pics, Massa! I'm sure you have lotsa people drooling over that Tityus!! lol!

:} :} :}

:D

Cheers,

Paul

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
T. stigmurus and serrulatus appear identical in aspects of everything except precise color. Where serrulatus is commonly yellow, stigmurus is commonly red. Dark areas in both species are dark in the same places, serrulatus having a usually brown, but on occasion, black, and stigmurus usually being black and on occasion, brown.

adios,
edw. :D

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by XOskeletonRED
T. stigmurus and serrulatus appear identical in aspects of everything except precise color. Where serrulatus is commonly yellow, stigmurus is commonly red. Dark areas in both species are dark in the same places, serrulatus having a usually brown, but on occasion, black, and stigmurus usually being black and on occasion, brown.

adios,
edw. :D
Interesting, Edward,

So more than likely they're actually the same? Just different color morph. Interesting indeed!

Cheers,

Paul

ThiagoMassa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So, the T. stigmurus reproduces by themselves too? I mean, no Males or Females, as Mat said about the T. serrulatus?

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
T. serrulatus, though some virgin females have been sited, also contains males. They are not in nearly as high of numbers as females, however. It has not been sited on whether T. stigmurus have ever been found to do the same, considering the numbers of males to females were always found to be greater than that of T. serrulatus. I can't remember what the T. serrulatus male to female ratio was in colony, but I believe it was nearing 300 females to 5 males. As soon as I find the info, I'll post it. T. stigmurus are around 1 male to 30 female, if I'm recalling correctly. Will try to find that info to post as well.

adios,
edw. =D

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
On scorpion feeding and Tityus serrulatus

Hi all,

Just an extra little info I found on scorpion feeding in general and Tityus serrulatus from Scorpions of Medical Importance.

Here goes:

"Food consists of insects and other arthropods of suitable size although cannibalism may also occur, and examples of some of the larger species have been seen feeding on lizards, snakes and other small vertebrates. Whittemore et al (1963) and Deoras (1961) found that laboratory colonies could be easily maintained on a diet of crickets and roaches. Bucherl (1971) found that specimens of the dangerously venomous Tityus serrulatus would feed readily on fragments of freshly killed tarantulas. The prey is captured by the pedipalps and if it is large or active it is stung repeatedly as the postabdomen or "tail" is arched over the back and the spine at the end of the telson is brought into action. After the prey has been captured by the pedipalps, it is moved to the chelicerae where a process of maceration begins. As the chelicerae tear the food into tiny particles, these are packed between the coxae of the pedipalps. At the same time, a secretion which liquifies tissues of the prey flows from the buccal area of the scorpion. As this happens, the coxae compress the food particles, and the "juice" thus produced in ingested by the scorpion. When all fluid has been expressed from food particles, the remaining dry pellets are discarded. The process has been described in detail by Stahnke (1966). Although scorpions will feed often if food is available, they, like the spiders, can survive for long periods of time without food if water is available."

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
There has NEVER been a valid report of a male individual T.serrulatus (Polis, 1990 The Biology of Scorpions Pp 161-165). There have been males found in at least one of the other morphs whithin the T.stigmurus complex of which T.serrulatus is a member of but not for T.serrulatus itself.

John
];')

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, I know I wasn't this (w/ emphasis) far off, but here's one abstract stating of male population in the species Tityus serrulatus. I'm still looking for the other which showed males existing in the species as well, and in the colony sited, was an extremely low male to female ratio, nearing what I had stated.

Tityus serrulatus Lutz & Mello 1922 (in fact, the form confluenciata within the Tityus stigmurus complex) is an extremely toxic scorpion of considerable medical importance in Brazil. Its rapid spread is partially due to parthenogenesis. Speculation regarding the occurrence of sexual individuals has been resolved by the discovery of a population, described here, having a male-female sex ratio of 1/2.5.

This page was posted 12/21/2000 and last modified 11/27/02.

adios,
edw. ;)

Last edited:

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
I actually saw that somewhere too but assumed(possibly incorrectly) that it was superceeded by Polis.

Shrug...seems like more detailed work needs to be done on this species complex.

Regardless of the sexual state of the above species complex...it is definitely one to hope we can get someday as an import. Every polymorph of Tityus I have seen is definitely something to envy.

John
];')

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by Kugellager
Shrug...seems like more detailed work needs to be done on this species complex.

Regardless of the sexual state of the above species complex...it is definitely one to hope we can get someday as an import. Every polymorph of Tityus I have seen is definitely something to envy.

John
];')

I'm in 100% agreement on that. I just look at those T. obtusus, T. stigmurus, and T. confluens and just drool and search for more information. :} Perhaps one day I'll get the opportunity to see them in their natural habitat and even perhaps to keep a few. I surely do hope so. I'll just have to visit Central and South America for the majority of them in their natural environment. That's not too far off. Too bad the money seems to be.

adios,
edw. =D

ThiagoMassa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey Ed, come to Brazil!!! On your vacations. Brasília is not the best place for what you are looking for but, you´ll be welcome here! =) At least we have a lot of T. serrulatus...

All right people, considering my T. serrulatus is a female, when is she going to have babies? I´m crazy to see little baby scorps from Snowball! (The name of my scorp.. hahahahahahhaha *lol*)

hugs
Massa

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Believe me. I plan on it one of these days. I also want to go to Central America for some vacationing. I wonder which will be first. I do have a couple weeks vacation time in August. If I can only come up with the funding by then to make a trip like that. T. serrulatus, T. costatus and T. bahiensis would be enough for me. heheh...

adios,
edw. =D

jper26

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Maybe we could all pitch in and help fund you Ed your research on theses species would be very interesting.:)