What species is tis scorpion?

ThiagoMassa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks Chris!
helped a lot!!

about humidity and temperature I don´t have any way of measure or degree it, but in the case of humidity the "walls" of the tank are sweating and I don´t know if it is a good of a bad signal of humidity, i mean, i don´t know if its too high...
In the case of the temperature, i think that if they live wild on my city, the ambient temperature would be enough, am I wrong? If so, please correct me...

Thanks again!

ThiagoMassa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
oh, about keeping that tree bark in the tank, which is covered with plants (don´t know the name in english, but in portuguese are "briófitas", think it migh be "briofit":)). Is it bad in any aspect for the scorp?

thanks again
Massa

ThiagoMassa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I used that tree bark as an humidity indicator too, as I know that this kind of plant are green just if they have lots of humidity...

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The ambient temp is fine, unless your house is climate controlled.

It actually sounds like there's a little too much humidity. But in a few days it should be fine. Just don't add mist the tank at all.

As for the tree thing, just watch for mites. Moss is generally a good thing, it means that the climate is right. But you always have to worry about infestations with foreign matter. Someone else can probably give you more info. I know Ed has recommended using rotten tree limbs, but I believe he bakes them (Ed, if that wasn't you please correct me). Others use moss or ferns, but they usually grow them from seed/spores.

Chris

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi again,

No problem on the info. I figured you could use it.

Being that they're native where you live, as someone else here mentioned, it is an incredible opportunity to study this species in the wild!

Basically all you need to do is mimic the environment you find them in. More than likely you'll find them under stones, logs, etc.

It would be very easy for you to take care of them being you have everything you need right there. They thrive where you live, so don't worry too much about the conditions being correct. As long as you offer them food and water, and keep them in conditions similar to what it is outside, they should do great. Just keep them in the same conditions as it is outside. If it rains, add some water. If you found this one on a concrete wall, add a piece of concrete into the tank. If you find some under stones, put stones in the tank. You're probably okay using the dirt you have there, as they live on it naturally. The only possible problem I see with that is parasites, but I've never heard of any scorps coming from South America that had parasites. I've seen personally African scorpions with parasites, but from what I understand it's rare. So just use what you have in nature there and you should be just fine. If you find them basking in the sun, place the tank by a window where light can pass through the tank, but never place the tank where it would receive extended periods of light, or it might overheat the scorp. Keep it simple and they should do great!

If you don't have tools to collect with, just be careful. Use a stick to direct them into a cup or container with a good lid, and keep your eyes on things around you, so as to avoid being stung, etc. Just be very careful!

I'd love to hear more about this species behavior, etc. in the wild, so feel free to post it here or feel free to email me privately as well. This type of info would be super! Feel free to email me at phoenixxavierre@yahoo.com or paul@exopets.com.

The best prey items are probably whatever they eat in the wild there, another thing I'd be very interested in finding out about! I'm very curious what other types of "bugs" you have there. Again, I'm not sure how much of a bug collector you are, but being a native there, I'm fairly sure you must be pretty aware of what nasties there are there, and what to avoid. They'll eat pretty much anything smaller than they are. If they don't eat prey within a day or so, remove it. They may be partial to a particular type of food, and be putting various things in there you'll find out what they like to eat!

This is all information that we in the US would love to find out about! I know if I find it interesting, there are definitely others that do as well!

Best wishes and happy collecting! :)

Paul

ThiagoMassa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks a lot Paul!

The simple way, the best way!

You said if i found one in a concrete wall, to put a piece of concret in the tank... So, what about if I found it climbing the walls of my bedroom? Should I brake my bedroom´s wall and put it on the tank??? hahahahahahaha LOL!
The only places i´ve seen it before was inside the houses, in the floor, now on the walls, but never looked after on other places, becouse I just started keeping a bug and being interested of "how to" after taking this one!
But I have an idea of what is the ambient it lives...
Thanks again Paul, and be sure that I´ll try to keep people updated about my scorp.
And Chris, thanks again, you are very kind!

Thiago

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Massa,

Is that you picking your nose with your tongue?? lol!

The only other person i've seen do that is my brother! hehe!

Cheers,

Paul

ThiagoMassa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hehehehe

Yeah, that freak is me! hahahahaha

Today I tried to find some scorps but all that I found were some spiders I don´t know the ID and a mice who smiled to me and said " go back home!" :D

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: hehehehe

Originally posted by ThiagoMassa
Yeah, that freak is me! hahahahaha

Today I tried to find some scorps but all that I found were some spiders I don´t know the ID and a mice who smiled to me and said " go back home!" :D
lol! well, if you're a freak I'm sure you'll fit in well with everyone on these forums! hehe! :eek: (did I say that??) (running and ducking) :D

so were they little spiders? big spiders? colorful? dull? fat? skinny? dying to know!!

Hmmm...mouse talking to you? You weren't eating any wild mushrooms while you were out hunting were you?? ;P

:D

=D =D =D

Talk to you later,

Paul

ThiagoMassa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
thread at "Other arachnids"!

Paul, I post a Thread about the ID of an Evarcha and post inside this one about what I thought it should be spiders, but Wade told they are not...
I don´t know how to put a link so, its on the "other arachnids forum" with this title " Evarcha sp. - The Terminator - need some ID". Take a look and give your opinion! ;)

...about the mushrooms, hahaahah, no i didnt eat that! haeuaueauhahahaha LOL!
=D

Thanks
Massa

ThiagoMassa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
HUGE CRICKET!

two days before today, my scorp ate that ckicket on the photo, that cricket was completely eaten by the time of 1:30pm... Yesterday , at 01:30 am I found a HUGE nocturnal cricket.(comparin to the scorp, as long as the scorp but very fat, much more than the scorp), and put it on the scorp´s tank. The scorp catched it immediatelly! Now its 9:00 pm from the same day and the scorp is still eating the cricket, (the scorp is under that tree bark and i couldn´t take a good shot with my cam, so, no pics... I´m sorry:( ) I tried not disturbing the scorp on turning the bark uside down to take the picture...
Well, the scorp looks very fat!
Oh, while I was whiting it th scorp stopped eating the cricket so I coult take a picture of how fat it is!

Attachments

ThiagoMassa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
the lights are not helping here, so the pics are dark, and I took a pic of the scorp and half of the cricket (very dark picture, sorry).

Attachments

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, their eating habits seem to be quite similar to Centruroides scorpions in aspect of size ratio being equal to their own. My apologies on the delayed response, again. *lol* Paul, that is some excellent info, but do keep in mind, it has been stated that Tityus serrulatus and Tityus stigmurus may be the same species and stigmurus simply be a subspecies of serrulatus, so I wouldn't doubt T. stigmurus having the obtainability of the same potency of venom as serrulatus. Massa, if you happen to find any scorps of which are red in coloration, where the serrulatus are yellowed, let me know, because the only Tityus species I know of with coloration such as that, is stigmurus, which, as I stated, may have equal potency of venom to serrulatus, though most previous testing has shown otherwise. I'm going to run a search on locations which T. stigmurus are located to see if you can possible acquire any info which I may have been missing from my library.

adios,
edw. =D

I definitely wish you more happy hunting. :D I also recommend breaking your house down slowly and into small, manageable pieces and placing it carefully in each enclosure which you have these scorpions in. *lol* That pic is exactly how I pictured you! HAHAH!

Last edited:

ThiagoMassa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey ed, no problem on the delay! ;)

The info I have tells that the T. stigmurus is not located were I live, here we just have the T. serrulatus and the T. fasciolatus (wich I have never seen, don´t know the coloration, or habits, no info at all, just that it is located here). The T. stigmurus lives in the Northeast of my country, in the states of, Bahia, Sergipe, Alagoas, Pernamuco, Paraíba, Rio Grande do Norte, Ceará and Piauí. (You can see on a mundi map). These states are located near to the equator line. It´s hotter and more humid there! Think it could possibly be an important fact...
I know we have the T. bahiensis, T. serrulatus, T. fasciolatus, T. stigmurus, T. cambridgei, T. costatus, T. metuendus, T. silvestris, Tityus cf. charreyroni, Mastigoproctus cf. brasiliensis, T. matogrossensis, Bothriurus bonariensis, Bothriurus araguayae . If anyone knows any other scorp in Brasil, please tell. :)

About the colorations, people from my city only knows the "black" and the "yellow" scorpion, as they are called by the natives. Personally, I´ve never seen a black one. Do we have any black variation in T. serrulatus coloration? And what about the T. fasciolatus, what are the colorations?

Thanks on the hunting wishes! And be sure that I won´t use any hammer or axe in my house hunting scorps! ahahaha LOL! About my picture, how did you mean I´m exactly the way you pictured me, fisically or like a freak! aahahahahahhah *lol*

Thanks Edward!
Massa

Last edited:

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: thread at "Other arachnids"!

Paul, I post a Thread about the ID of an Evarcha and post inside this one about what I thought it should be spiders, but Wade told they are not...
I don´t know how to put a link so, its on the "other arachnids forum" with this title " Evarcha sp. - The Terminator - need some ID". Take a look and give your opinion! ;)

...about the mushrooms, hahaahah, no i didnt eat that! haeuaueauhahahaha LOL!
=D

Thanks
Massa
Thankyou, Massa!

I'll check it out, though I'm by no means an expert. I just lucked out and had info on the species you were wondering about (thanks to a super cool guy!).

Lol!! on the 'shrooms!! How do the Brazilians say Hahaha?

Jajajajajajajajajaja!!!! ;)

Best wishes,

Paul

Last edited:

ThiagoMassa

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
how do brazilians say hahaha?

well, here in brazil we say... hahaha!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahah =D :} =D

but it also can be, hehehehehehe, but here the "e" sounds different, thats why it can be used... actually, we feel free to use any variation of it like, hihihihihi, hoehaoehoaheoaaheohaoe, huhuhuuh... all of them means *lol*!

About the mushrooms here they´re "cogumelos"!

hugs
Massa

redhourglass

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Greetings all,

I'm surprised no one mentioned the book that was published last year by Dr. Wilson Lourenco, "The Scorpions from Brazil". Information for purchase can be found with Jan Ove's ScorpionFiles or at the ISA site. Dr. Lourenco, from France, has published greatly with scorpion fauna in the this region of South America through journals but compiled all, if not most, in this book. I don't have this book yet but since the topic of Brasil is ongoing thus my reason for posting as this is an interesting forum thread.

All the best Massa esp with Tityus id'n and be safe,

Sincerely,

Chad Lee

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
how do brazilians say hahaha?

well, here in brazil we say... hahaha!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahah =D :} =D

About the mushrooms here they´re "cogumelos"!

hugs
Massa
Haha! Massa!

;P

I have a female friend from Brazil and in her emails she always writes: jajajajajajajaja! I forget off hand what part of Brazil she is from, but she has a really cool accent! lol! her native tongue was espangol but she spoke really good english. She said they taught it in Brazil as a second language. Again, I imagine this all depends on what area you're from, Brazil IS a big country!

On the mushrooms, Kewl! "Cogumelos", lol!

:D

Best wishes,

Paul

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Here's my current comp. gen. list of scorpions which I know to be from Brazil... (all species on my current list state that they are from S. America, but these are the only species of Brazil on my list. All others being from other locales in S. America). To clear it up before anyone else asks, this is my list of scorps I have on the computer as being from that location, not my collection.

1 Ananteris balzanii South America
2 Ananteris dekeyseri South America
3 Ananteris deniseae South America
4 Ananteris franckei South America
5 Ananteris luciae South America
6 Ananteris maranhensis South America
7 Ananteris mariaterezae South America
8 Ananteris mauryi South America
9 Ananteris pydanieli South America
10 Ananteris venezuelensis South America
11 Bothriurus araguayae South America
12 Bothriurus asper South America
13 Bothriurus bonariensis South America
14 Bothriurus chilensis South America
15 Bothriurus illudens South America
16 Bothriurus moojeni South America
17 Bothriurus rochai South America
18 Bothriurus rubescens South America
19 Bothriurus signatus South America
20 Bothriurus sooretamensis South America
21 Bothriurus vachoni South America
22 Brachistosternus ferrugineus South America
23 Broteochactas brejo South America
24 Broteochactas delicatus Central America + South America
25 Broteochactas goujei South America
26 Broteochactas mapuera South America
27 Broteochactas parvulus South America
28 Brotheas amazonicus South America
29 Brotheas gervaisii South America
30 Brotheas granulatus South America
31 Brotheas jourdani South America
32 Brotheas overali South America
33 Brotheas paraensis South America
34 Brotheas silvestris South America
35 Chactopsis amazonica South America
36 Chactopsis insignis South America
37 Guyanochactas mascarenhasi South America
38 Isometrus maculatus Australia + South Pacific
39 Microtityus vanzolinii South America
40 Opisthacanthus cayaporum South America
41 Rhopalurus acromelas South America
42 Rhopalurus agamemnon South America
43 Rhopalurus amazonicus South America
44 Rhopalurus debilis South America
45 Rhopalurus lacrau South America
46 Rhopalurus laticauda Central America
47 Rhopalurus piceus South America
48 Rhopalurus rochai South America
49 Teuthraustes amazonicus South America
50 Teuthraustes lisei South America
51 Thestylus glasioui South America
52 Thestylus signatus South America
53 Tityus acutidens South America
54 Tityus anneae South America
55 Tityus asthenes Central America + South America
56 Tityus bahiensis South America
57 Tityus bastosi South America
58 Tityus blaseri South America
59 Tityus brazilae South America
60 Tityus carvalhoi South America
61 Tityus charreyroni South America
62 Tityus clathratus South America
63 Tityus confluens South America
64 Tityus costatus South America
65 Tityus dinizi Central America
66 Tityus discrepans Central America + South America
67 Tityus evandroi South America
68 Tityus fasciolatus South America
69 Tityus indecisus South America
70 Tityus kuryi South America
71 Tityus lamottei South America
72 Tityus lutzi South America
73 Tityus magnimanus South America
74 Tityus mattogrossensis South America
75 Tityus metuendus South America
76 Tityus microcystis South America
77 Tityus munozi South America
78 Tityus neglectus South America
79 Tityus paraensis South America
80 Tityus paraguayensis South America
81 Tityus pusillus South America
82 Tityus raquelae South America
83 Tityus rufofuscus South America
84 Tityus serrulatus South America
85 Tityus silvestris South America
86 Tityus stigmurus South America
87 Tityus strandi South America
88 Tityus thelyacanthus South America
89 Tityus trivittatus South America
90 Tityus tucurui South America
91 Tityus uniformis South America
92 Tityus uruguayensis South America
93 Urophonius iheringii South America
94 Vachoniochactas ashleeae South America

adios,
edw. ;P

Would you like the subspecies of each of those as well? heheh...

Last edited:

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Originally posted by XOskeletonRED
Here's my current list of scorpions which I know to be from Brazil... (all species on my current list state that they are from S. America, but these are the only species of Brazil on my list. All others being from other locales in S. America).

would you happen to have a picture of the room taht you keep all of your scorpions in? i'd love to see how you have it arranged.