Want to keep your rights to Ts? Poecilotheria owners, breeders or dealers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
Well, it would be like having a pedigree for a Savannah cat, which is a serval x domestic cat hybrid.

It's horrifically annoying but far from impossible. What about efforts to form some type of lobbying group to tell our side of the story or maybe even sue individuals who defame persons or businesses?

Case in point: the NRA. They don't always win, but can put up stiff resistance to bans.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Looks like Poecilotheria fasciata, P. ornata, P. smithi, P. subfusca, and P. vittata are now considered part of the ESA.
http://usark.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/ESA-2018-Sri-Lanka-Tarantulas-final-rule-1.pdf
Not good news , why don’t they got after poachers in Sri lanka? And leave captive bread out of it ? Captive sometimes is only thing that. Saves certain species.
Just think if someone woulda kept a dodo bird as pets . Pooor birds , spiders can go just as fast , deforestation, poachers .
They should have a standing army kicking people & lumber company’s out of the rainforests.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Not good news , why don’t they got after poachers in Sri lanka? And leave captive bread out of it ? Captive sometimes is only thing that. Saves certain species.
I could be wrong but the reason is that, this agency, called 'Fish and Wildlife Service' (if I'm not wrong), has absolutely no power of action in Sri Lanka, since is a USA one and not, for instance, an 'international' one (like U.N ones) or something 'born' after certain international agreement - see CITES.

Second, I hardly doubt that Sri Lanka - with the helluva of issues they have - would care too much for their native T's, uh :lock:

Conclusion: this U.S agency decided that it's best to do such a thing, in regards of the homeland 'front', for put a patch on the issue.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
Still, captive bred ones and those already over here are unaffected right?

What recently happened to Brazilian tarantulas is majorly <edit> up big-time in my opinion. It may well even be worse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Still, captive bred ones and those already over here are unaffected right?

What recently happened to Brazilian tarantulas is majorly <edit> up big-time in my opinion. It may well even be worse.
You can keep and breed what you have within your state without permit, but when it comes to crossing state lines some serious permits are involved that are usually only provided to Zoos and Aquariums. This being for all members of the 5 species.

Last edited by a moderator:

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
What ever happened to Trump's rule that for every new regulation, 2 old ones need to be removed?

Here's where you can complain about unneeded regulations to the Trump administration. He loves getting rid of them, the dumber the better.

https://www.reginfo.gov/public/do/eAgendaMain

Note to mods: You actually need the website or it won't work. I'm assuming that fish and wildlife is under the EPA, but I'm not sure about that. The important thing to do is to contact them and complain. If everyone on this board sent emails to those in the contact us section at once, something might be done.

What needs to change specifically is the removal on all restrictions for any tarantula born in captivity and bred in captivity in the United States, another words if it's 100% American made.

You can, of course, just send email or old fashioned snail mail to the Whitehouse. Obviously, be nice and professional in your language & don't send them actual tarantulas unless they specifically ask for one. I have no idea if Ivanka Trump wants a C versicolor, M-kay?

If your tarantula would be considered an American citizen if it was a person, why regulate it?

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Not unless the wild population recovers.
True! An issue that, watching/considering the 'Moonlights' we have almost worldwide (environment/nature speaking) is something that in 3, max max and I say max 5 years, would be achieved.

After all, in Sri Lanka, is extremely false to state that the Indian ocean keeps 'claiming', little by little, portions of that island :bored:

:lock: :troll:

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
You can, of course, just send email or old fashioned snail mail to the Whitehouse. Obviously, be nice and professional in your language & don't send them actual tarantulas unless they specifically ask for one. I have no idea if Ivanka Trump wants a C versicolor, M-kay?
I hate to break it to you, but I don't think Trump cares about some spiders halfway across the world, especially since he can't "fix" the problem by slapping tarriffs on someone.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
The issue isn't specifically tarantulas. It is needless and ineffective regulation of small businesses. I can assure you that Trump does strongly oppose BS regulations of any type that don't work against small businesses, of which breeders fall into that category.

If you don't ask, you won't receive. Several hundred to several thousand protests are certainly enough to attract attention. The fact that this costs the feds exactly zero dollars also helps.

I doubt that the Lacey act, which infringes on American sovereignty is number one on the popularity list either.

Specifically what we should want is an exemption on any tarantula born and bred in America.

Like anything else, it's about awareness. Government harassment of pet owners is never popular.

Whitelightning777

Arachno-heretic
Since it's federal, it has to be some sort of federal agency.

You could also try suing for an injunction in Federal court on grounds that the comment period notice wasn't given to any breeders or owners nor was any attempt made to contact such persons.

Heck, mail a letter to the White House. You never know. I think a lawyer and class action suit is needed.

Lost Patient

Arachnopeon
You need to organize a group of political supporters. Send congressman and Senators E-mails with scientific facts that the Tarantula keepers/breeders in the USA are helping to prevent a species from going extinct. It needs to be like the sacred oath of each Tarantula keeper able to own a Pokie to keep and possibly breed them. Either way sorry rambling again, anyway. You need the community here to band together and have specif call to actions. This way everyone writes and calls there politicians at the same time, thus flooding the offices.

raggamuffin415

Arachnosquire
If you read the document there's a section about captive breed species in the hobby. Basically they dont meet the criteria for reintroduction into the wild because the muddled genealogy (accidental hybridization) and lack of diversity in the gene pool if not cross bred.

Sounds like a good idea but not really doing anything to change status unless it's an organized and intentional repopulation program with federal recognition.

Jaromysfuneral

Arachnopeon
Why can’t we just Robin Hood this situation, give another nickname only known to breeders and continue breeding them in captivity. Keeping an endangered species from being bred in captivity isn’t ever going to help it reproduce in the wild, what needs to be done is it needs to be bred in captivity and people need to replace what they can back to the wild so that hopefully they will continue there as well, which is what they do with fish and other amphibians.

I can honestly say that if I had this species that is exactly what I would organize and I truly hope more feel that way as well.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Why can’t we just Robin Hood this situation, give another nickname only known to breeders and continue breeding them in captivity. Keeping an endangered species from being bred in captivity isn’t ever going to help it reproduce in the wild, what needs to be done is it needs to be bred in captivity and people need to replace what they can back to the wild so that hopefully they will continue there as well, which is what they do with fish and other amphibians.

I can honestly say that if I had this species that is exactly what I would organize and I truly hope more feel that way as well.
Downside to that is when people get caught doing that. What do you think will happen? A slap on the wrist? With the already fanatical focus on Poecilotheria, the genus might become banned from the hobby altogether, and it would 'prove' to the people that make these decisions that hobby keepers can't be trusted.
Something like this always gets out. All it takes is one gruntled customer and a phonecall.

Status
Not open for further replies.