Visit From The Usda!!

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I wonder if the USDA would have the authority to confiscate inverts from another era? Time travel, cloning or what have you... could a keeper be fined? I would love to set up a marsh aviary for cloned specimens of prehistoric dragonflies.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
HoldThePickle said:
Yeah ok. You're right, they really might think I will release my "mutant killer bees" and "colony of killer japanese beetles" into the wild. So if you're reading this USDA, I am NOT going to release any of them. They will stay in captivity right next to my nuclear flying snails and breeding pair of trouser snakes. :rolleyes:
My comments were mostly aimed at a poster who has since deleted his posts, but you also mentioned viatnamese walking sticks in your original post, which are quite real.

Wade

CustomNature

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wade said:
My comments were mostly aimed at a poster who has since deleted his posts, but you also mentioned viatnamese walking sticks in your original post, which are quite real.

Wade

Oh, and my brain slugs from space aren't real???! ;)

kraken

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Brainslugs from space ARE VERY real man!!! If they escape our captivity we are all doomed!!! Dont let them get out pickle!!

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
its not surprising that authorities have found this site or are watching it.isnt this the worlds largest invert forum ?also as of late there have been a few shady people from other countrys trying to sell t's on here.couple people from malaysia and chili off the top of my head.
these guys are just doing there job.altho stick bugs may not seem as a hige threat to the country there have been some seriously bad insects brought into the us in the past 50-100 years that have and still are doing alot of damage.
lets not forget about
africanized honey bees
fire ants
argentine ants
japanese beetles
ect...

Last edited:

redknee_freak

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
can they do something about c/b species that are native to the US

I just read this thread this morning wow,

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You're supposed to have permits from the USDA to transport native insects between states, even if they're native to both states. This is mostly because some states have regulations against out-of-state insects, although most don't. The main thing to worry about concerning natives is weather or not there are any state or local regs.

Wade

redknee_freak

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Now is there any type of links to know about this, or getting permits , things like that so i can read more up on this

thanks wade

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Being a huge government bueracracy, nothing about the USDA is straightforward. I found this information once somewhere on www.USDA.gov, but can't remember where exactly. You want to look under the APHIS division, and look for documents pertaining to permitting.

Wade

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wow, I didn't see this back when it started, but are we allowed to put a notice saying that if you are affiliated with the government then you are not allowed to use the website? Kind of like how the illegal download servers did when the governemnt started cracking down on the piracy laws? That is a crock of BS though, crack down on people who collect bugs..theres a guy down the road from me who has a cougar in a cage in his backyard and they let him down that lol.

Ed

EDIT: I wonder if the employees of the agencies that conduct ecological tests and expiriments and animal studies hold the same permits we're suppose to. Bet you they don't! lol

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I know for a fact that the OSU Bug Zoo has to have all the appropriate permits to keep their phasmids. And we do have them; I've seen them myself. I tried to see if private parties can apply for these, but as Wade said, nothing about it is straightforward.

nepenthes

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
allot of things for the permits are hard to come by, the Damn FDA is afraid of a walking stick, even though we have thousands.

:?

Cant even ship an insect thats allready IN the states to other people, and im talking ants as well, can ship ants cause we might introduce new pests. Mind as well stop ALL bee apiarys, you know how many pests they spread?

Stupid FDA! I would rather eat bad meat.... :wall:

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is understnadable though, even though we're hobbyists, who's to say some malicous person cannot stumble upon the website, find a dealer and make an order.. Maybe I'll just move somewhere that has cool stuff.. {D

Zarathustra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Guys, not sure if this is the right forum for this but(if its not feel free to move it)........
I just got a visit from two very nice USDA officers. They seized my Vietnamese Walking Sticks, (that i just bought at the beginning of June!!). They said they ARE watching the forums here and are starting to have to put a stop to the shipping of illegal "possible pest" insects across state lines. Thought you would all like to know!!
Hello,

How did they get into your house? Did you let them in, or did they have a search warrant?

????josh????

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm just wondering if Native US species of millipedes are banned as well as exotic species?

BeetleExperienc

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No, native species are fine to own. The only native species not allowed would be endangered ones.

Exotic species that are carnivorous (insectivorous) are generally ok too (spiders, scorps, tiger beetles...)

If you are speaking of legally transferring them from state to state, the receiver is supposed to get the local "OK" from their State folks, as far as I can tell.

Non-native, non-carnivorous insects fall under "plant pest" status (beetles, millipedes, phasmids, etc.). Basically, if they eat any part of a plant at any stage of their life they are considered plant pests. To legally keep any of these (exotic ones anyway), you are supposed to have:

1. A containment facility that is licensed by the USDA.

2. Another license from the USDA to be allowed to import/keep these insects.

There are a few states (FL, TN, etc) that do not like any insect being shipped in, even if the exact same species is native to the state.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Exotic species that are carnivorous (insectivorous) are generally ok too (spiders, scorps, tiger beetles...)
That's true for arachnids and centipedes, but carnivorous insects are also banned. They not only classify animals that eat plants as potential pests, but also insects that might eat plant pollinators (bees, butterflies etc.). The way the regs are written, they are open to multiple interpretations. Until recently, they pretty much allowed perdatory insects if they were strict predators (many predatory beetles feed on some plant matter), but they recently started geting stict on it. They recently started cracking down on mantids and assassin bugs and siezing them, for example. The focus there seems to be on imports due to the risk of mites that may hitchhike on them. Captive bred animals may be allowed at some point, but I don't think they've actually announced anything on that yet.

Wade

Zarathustra

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Does anyone know if the USDA shows up at your house with a search warrant, or do people just let them in? I wouldn't let them in without a search warrant.