US Native Scorpion Thread

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I tried it a few times, it's a little harder than I thought it would be to get it just right. Computer micros/cams aren't that expensive now.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
back in the day, gala was the one who convinced me you can use your camera's optical zoom AND a magnifying lens :) the problem is that your depth of field approaches zero so your camera placement and angle need to be almost perfect to get a good picture. now i get a decent picture 1:5 to 1:10... when i started it was more like 1:20 or 1:40

SoHum

Arachnopeon
6 pages of USA scorps and no love for U. mordax?

IMG_20150110_153253.jpg

IMG_20140929_111459.jpg

IMG_20150110_152921.jpg

IMG_20150110_153103_1.jpg

The three in the terrarium are the same one, the one in the jar eating...whatever that is I gave to a friend last fall. They are basically identical in size and coloration except the one's legs were more orange. Both wild caught, no idea what instar or sex, but if I were to made a wild guess it would be female because of the shape of the chela. What can I say, I'm new.

Last edited:

SoHum

Arachnopeon
My UV light will arrive in a week or so, if I turn up some soon I'll let you know! I found one while splitting wood a few weeks ago, but it was so tiny I didn't even try to keep it, it was before I found this site and ididn't have the first clue what I would have fed it! I would guess 2 or 3i , I compared it to a small cricket and if the tail was laid flat behind it they would have been the same length..., maybe I have a pic.

IMAG0298.jpg

That little plastic lid is 2 and 3/8" across, making that scorpion REALLY small!

SoHum

Arachnopeon
You're making me want a communal species.. They look like they're having fun. Also reduces the chances of having a pet log.