US Native Scorpion Thread

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've seen so many threads with some very nice scorpions. Most of them are all exotic species. While those scorpions are wonderful, lets not forget our own species, found in the US. Lets see some of our own, backyard, scorpions. I'll get started with one of my favorite species.

Superstitionia donensis, one of the smallest species I own. Adult can be less than 1", babies are crazy small.

I collected these guys in several places in central Arizona.

Attachments

Last edited:

KoffinKat138

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice scorps John.

I found this lil guy where i live,west of Atlanta GA,

Vaejovis carolinianus

Koh_

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i wish there was some native scorpions in ontario , canada.
beautiful scorpions you guys got there.

TheScorpionLord

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
nice bro, Im runnin thru there tomorrow hopefully i can get a quick look and see what i can find
I personally love the AZ barks Hadrurus Arizonesis striped devils and the dune scorps
gorgeous critters btw :)
-Tim

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
OK, here are some pics I dug up.

A diplocentrus whitei male:

Here's a baby whitei:

A female:

Paruroctonus utahensis, not really sure(?), found in w texas:

Centruroides vittatus:

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
this is an awesome topic!

way to go!

i'll play i guess. these scorps were found in UT.

H. spadix (my favorite scorp if you couldn't guess... :rolleyes:):

P. boreus??:

some sort of vaejovis?:

others:

H. arizonensis:

C. sculpturatus:

Harlock

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
D. lindo with a younger instar in the background cage

V. waurei (I think)

Serradigitus sp. (unidentified)

V. waurei up top, the Serradigitus under.

I've also got some mesic and xeric vittatus, but I don't feel like bothering them.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
OK, here are some pics I dug up.

A diplocentrus whitei male:

Here's a baby whitei:

A female:

How many baby whitei do you have. I'd love to arrange a trade.

John
Hey John I only have 4 babies that were captive born, from a female somebody I know had in w texas. But I picked up what was labeled a D. peloncillensis in a pet store here and immediately recognized it as a D. whitei. But lately I wondered if it might be a giant D. lindo, so I just did a pectine count of 16 on this female and that matches up with D. whitei, odds are good that it's gravid. If so I will have babies to throw out there. lindo females pectine count is 9-13, whitei females is 14-18 (http://www.americanarachnology.org/JoA_free/JoA_v29_n3/arac_29_03_304.pdf) I'm not used to keying out diplos so since I don't know where it came from, I can't help but have a tiny bit of doubt about it being whitei, I'm confident it is but not 100% sure.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm not used to keying out diplos so since I don't know where it came from, I can't help but have a tiny bit of doubt about it being whitei, I'm confident it is but not 100% sure.
Looks like a D. whitei to me, and if the pectine count was right, then it sounds like a positive I.D. to me. There are three TX diplos, D. lindo which are lighter colored, D. diablo which no one has and are also lighter, and the D. whitei. D. whitei are only found in certain parts of the southern 1/3 of Brewster and Presidio counties. Pretty darn rare. That's a nice friend you have in TX!

The other two U.S. diplos are only found in Extreme S.W. NM and south central and south east AZ.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nice pic you have there. The guy I got the babies from doesn't really care about scorpions, I could've taken all the babies but I would've felt greedy. He was feeding them hermit crab food lol, I would've saved them! whitei are actually common in their area, more common than "people" are there haha, so not many people there to catch them. I found 12 in one night crawling on the road and saw several at the entrance to their hole while blacklighting, but those backup down their hole before you can get to them. I'm sure enough this is whitei, my only other wonder was if it was something from deeper down in Mexico I haven't seen before since the seller(ZK) has gotten stuff from there through people he knows, but yeah, it's unlikely it came out of Mex. He just couldn't remember where he got it.

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Anuroctonus pococki

Smeringurus mesaensis

smaller more orange individual

Only really decent pics of native stuff I have, that I can remember atm...

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +

Pseudouroctonus reddelli.

Vaejovis vorhiesi -- from the right spot but always subject to revision, of course.

Hadrurus arizonensis

Centruroides hentzi

Centruroides sculpturatus

Centruroides vittatus, Vaejovis coahuilae

http://research.amnh.org/users/lorenzo/PPT/Florida_2008.htm for pictures of Florida Centruroides.

Also, if nobody digs up a good picture of P.gracilior I'll be forced to dig through my hard drive for one of mine. They are definitely in competition as one of my favourite US species. Anyone who has seen one fight a full sized cricket will know why.

Cheers,
Dave

Last edited: