urgent!

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i believe my Avicularia sp. (wild caught - sub adult) i bought from arachnocon is dying.
i saw it lying over its waterdish this morning when i got home and i put it in an icu. it has white strands coming from its mouth and its all over its body. i can't pick it up to get a look at its underside because its movements are very jerky and its body is somewhat stiff, i don't want to put it in anymore pain than it already seems to be in.

these are the best pictures i could get.. i'm guessing its an internal parasite of some sort.

my question is should i just put it in the freezer? i really don't think it has a chance of surviving and i don't want it to be in pain, i just need a second opinion before i do it.
thanks.

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
its going into a curl now, i'm just going to put it in the freezer, i can't stand seeing it like this.

i'll try to get more pictures after its dead in case anyone else has this problem

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
well

it can't feel pain... so by putting it in the freezer you have just eliminated ANY chance of it recovering... for no good (to me, at least) reason

now... if you think it is like, sick with something catching and want to protect the rest of your collection, then all to the good... but you are just concerned about it "suffering" i would suggest you do some seraching and researching before pulling the plug

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well

it can't feel pain... so by putting it in the freezer you have just eliminated ANY chance of it recovering... for no good (to me, at least) reason

now... if you think it is like, sick with something catching and want to protect the rest of your collection, then all to the good... but you are just concerned about it "suffering" i would suggest you do some seraching and researching before pulling the plug
this thing is coming out of its mouth and is all over its body, and even if ther spider is not in pain.. i'm in pain just looking at how uncomfortable it is.
its not in the freezer yet but this doesn't look like something thats just going to get fixed.
and i don't want to take any chances with the rest of my collection catching this

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Is the thing moving?

Doesn't look like the nematodes spiders normally get. Could it just be silk?

Toss it in an ICU for a few days and give it time to recover. I just had to put a P. cambridgei in an ICU because it was going into a death curl...I'm sorry this is happening to you.

Good luck.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Are you sure it's a sub-adult? That pedipalp looks kind of "mature male" to me.

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is the thing moving?

Doesn't look like the nematodes spiders normally get. Could it just be silk?

Toss it in an ICU for a few days and give it time to recover. I just had to put a P. cambridgei in an ICU because it was going into a death curl...I'm sorry this is happening to you.

Good luck.
i'll give it another few days and keep it in a different room from my other spiders to be safe, i had a couple spiders move just like this one before they died

DrAce

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Speaking of Mushroom spores... could it be a fungus?

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Are you sure it's a sub-adult? That pedipalp looks kind of "mature male" to me.
i'll have to look into that, this is only my second avic. the first is still an s'ling so i've never seen a mature one.
the guy who sold it to me said he didn't know the sex though, so i just assumed it was female or an immature male

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Speaking of Mushroom spores... could it be a fungus?
i had an s'ling die from a fungal infection and it had little white fuzzies on its abdomen, i can't see any of that on this spider but i haven't had it for long. i've never seen this with any of my other spiders before

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
That's so horibble, I wish I could tell you what it is but I can't...

And you never answered before, so is that stuff moving?
I'm sorry :(

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's so horibble, I wish I could tell you what it is but I can't...

And you never answered before, so is that stuff moving?
I'm sorry :(
no, its not moving at all but the white strands have grown from what i can tell. i was looking at the T yesterday and it had the white strands on one of its fangs and it is now over its entire body

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
that sucks. i can't see the pics while i am at work... but if someone sold you an old mature male as "unsexed" they probably deserve a bad review, at the least

also, edie (is that pronounced like E-D? i've been calling you "eddy" in my brain till i saw you are 0.1) for the spider that died of mold... are you sure the mold killed it? i've had spiders die and mold up unbelievably fast before. if you really do have killer mold (and for sure, there are a number of different types of killers) you should probably take a look at addressing that situation

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
that sucks. i can't see the pics while i am at work... but if someone sold you an old mature male as "unsexed" they probably deserve a bad review, at the least

also, edie (is that pronounced like E-D? i've been calling you "eddy" in my brain till i saw you are 0.1) for the spider that died of mold... are you sure the mold killed it? i've had spiders die and mold up unbelievably fast before. if you really do have killer mold (and for sure, there are a number of different types of killers) you should probably take a look at addressing that situation
it was from southern spider works, its the first time i bought anything from them but i thought people really liked them.
and yes, it is pronounced like E-D, everyone thinks its eddy unless they've heard my name before.
and i'm pretty sure the mold killed it, it was still alive when i found the mold on it.. heres a picture i took right before it died

i just got a new type of peat that seems to mold up a lot more than the stuff i used to get, and it smells weird.. i'm going to change it this weekend when i can find someone to go to homedeopt with me.
this isn't my first wildcaught T that i've had problems with though, i think i'm going to try to stick to CB from now on, even if being wild has nothing to do with it i would rather be safe than sorry

_bob_

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
when i bought a tarantula at arachnoexpo from southern spider works the container had tons of molt in it too. when i got home i rehoused it quickly

Last edited:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That looks like webbing to me. I catch avics getting tangled in their own webbing all the time.

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
when i bought a tarantula at arachnoexpo from southern spider works the container had tons of molt in it too. when i got home i rehoused it quickly
yeah, i rehoused her as soon as i got her home