urgent!

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That looks like webbing to me. I catch avics getting tangled in their own webbing all the time.
could be, but do they also get stiff and jerky? there has to be something wrong with it

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thats one of the dangers with purchasing WC t's, though im kinda shocked jason or joel would of sold a t in such bad shape..they are really good at making sure their t's are in good condition prior to a sale????:? actually alot of the dealers here are.... have you talked to them at all??i think joel is out of town till next week but im sure if you bring it to their attention they'll clear it up....

what kind of sub are using that it molds that quickly??? is there enough ventilation???

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thats one of the dangers with purchasing WC t's, though im kinda shocked jason or joel would of sold a t in such bad shape..they are really good at making sure their t's are in good condition prior to a sale????:? actually alot of the dealers here are.... have you talked to them at all??i think joel is out of town till next week but im sure if you bring it to their attention they'll clear it up....

what kind of sub are using that it molds that quickly??? is there enough ventilation???
i've only had the T since arachnocon so it hasn't been long, it was fine for the first week i had it then it got a little strange so i left it alone. the only problems i saw with it at first was that its legs were in bad shape but i figured that would clear up with its next moult.

i bought some scotts peat after reading that other people used it.. all my cages have plenty of ventilation, dead crickets just get really nasty and moldy in it, and i've never had that problem with the old peat i used so i'm going to switch back.

sick4x4

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
umm interesting...depending on how much moisture in the sub(which if its for an avic)shouldn't be that much... mold shouldn't be that big of a problem..ifs its growing over night on food debris, there might be a contamination of all the peat...

usually i get my peat from Lowe's for like 6 bucks its Canadian peat and i also buy vermiculite and do a 70-30 split..i have never had mold (knocking on wood)..for the really moisture dependant ones i use eco earth....also i found that if you put some beaked moss(kindbergia oregana)under the water dish you can kinda get away with a drier sub for the rest of the set-up, that could also help with mold...just over flow your water dish and let the moss soak it up.....heres some pics of my Tblondi setup so you see what i mean...or just take out all food debris the next morning...

sorry i didnt want to over due your thread just trying to help

Last edited:

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm suprised no one has said this (unless I missed it). Stiff and jerky sounds like dyskinetic syndrome to me. Just my 2 cents.

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
umm interesting...depending on how much moisture in the sub(which if its for an avic)shouldn't be that much... mold shouldn't be that big of a problem..ifs its growing over night on food debris, there might be a contamination of all the peat...

usually i get my peat from Lowe's for like 6 bucks its Canadian peat and i also buy vermiculite and do a 70-30 split..i have never had mold (knocking on wood)..for the really moisture dependant ones i use eco earth....also i found that if you put some beaked moss(kindbergia oregana)under the water dish you can kinda get away with a drier sub for the rest of the set-up, that could also help with mold...just over flow your water dish and let the moss soak it up.....heres some pics of my Tblondi setup so you see what i mean...or just take out all food debris the next morning...

sorry i didnt want to over due your thread just trying to help
yeah i've been using a canadian peat too that i loved i just cant carry the big bales by myself so i had to get the scotts last time i went there. i'm just going to switch back because i never had problems with that stuff

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm suprised no one has said this (unless I missed it). Stiff and jerky sounds like dyskinetic syndrome to me. Just my 2 cents.
i just looked that up, but the video links didn't work.. do you know where i can see some videos of that?
i will try to take one of my tarantula but i'm not sure how to use the video on my camera, if i get one i'll post it

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
i just looked that up, but the video links didn't work.. do you know where i can see some videos of that?
i will try to take one of my tarantula but i'm not sure how to use the video on my camera, if i get one i'll post it
There should be a button or setting with a video camera symbol on it. You should be able to take video by pushing the shutter button.

I do know that peat companies will sometimes use entomopathogenic nematodes to control pests in peat, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they used entomopathogenic fungus as well.

I completely missed the palps.

Last edited:

lizmotobike

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
[I completely missed the palps. - cheshire/QUOTE]

don't mature males eat their sperm webs when they are done with them?
i do not see hooks but the palps look kind of clubby - ?
i am still learning about sexing spiders yet. can you see hooks? on his 1st set(not palps) or is it possible as you say he is acting slow and run down that you have a post penta.ulta.......ack......i can't think of the word for post matured molt. in that case do they lose thier hooks?

luckily i am going to meet with some locals and get a good lesson in Tarantula sexing.

Last edited:

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
heres some pics. i took of the spider the day i got it.. i don't know if this can help sex it at all, when i posted them no one said anything about it looking like a mature male

do mature male avics have hooks? because i've never seen any on this spider

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
There should be a button or setting with a video camera symbol on it. You should be able to take video by pushing the shutter button.

I do know that peat companies will sometimes entomopathogenic nematodes to control pests in peat, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if they used entomopathogenic fungus as well.

I completely missed the palps.
i took a video with my sisters camera but then i realized i don't have a program on my computer to upload the video to.. i took a video on my phone but you can't even tell whats going on because the quality is so bad.

and i thought maybe something would be weird with the peat so i looked it up here on the boards before i used any and people talked about using it with no problem

Taceas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
While I can't see the palps in detail, they do look rather "clubby" at the ends, compared to adult females I've seen and my own adult female Avic. avic, although the butt definitely looks healthy for an adult male. At that size it would have to be an adult I would imagine.

I too would have to agree that the white stringy stuff is more than likely its own webbing. It doesn't look like any nematode infestation, nor mold. While its slow, you might try to remove that.

As for the problem, I honestly have no clue. Avics in general seem to be prone to "S.A.D.S. - Sudden Avic Death Syndrome" for whatever reason. It's happened to me, twice, on well started juveniles.

I would definitely get rid of that peat moss pronto if its molding as fast as you say. Personally I prefer coco-fiber to peat in almost all of my tarantula enclosures, it isn't near as dusty as peat, and I've never had it to mold spontaneously.

Clean out the enclosure you had it in and sterilize everything. Wash the container down with bleach water, rinsing it thoroughly and letting it dry out so no smell remains. You can bake the wood decorations (if you have any) in a 200* oven for an hour. Everything else I would throw in the trash.

Do you have any chemical smells in your home lately? Doing any repainting, thinner, etc? I had a P. subfusca almost die from fumes from a plastic hide in its enclosure. The fumes built up and it was acting lethargic, drunk, and started to death curl. Catching it in time ultimately saved its life.

Keep it in an ICU container and see if it improves.

I've bought most of my tarantulas from SSW and they were great people to deal with, so I doubt this was an intentional misrepresentation on their part. They've always been stand up people when I've contacted them. So I would email them with your inquiries and wait for them to reply. It's not your fault, but it is kind of unfair to name drop them before they've had any input. :eek:

I hope for your sake your T makes it. But I don't think they feel suffering the same way higher organisms do, they're pretty much basically pure instinct and reflexes.

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've bought most of my tarantulas from SSW and they were great people to deal with, so I doubt this was an intentional misrepresentation on their part. They've always been stand up people when I've contacted them. So I would email them with your inquiries and wait for them to reply. It's not your fault, but it is kind of unfair to name drop them before they've had any input. :eek:

I hope for your sake your T makes it. But I don't think they feel suffering the same way higher organisms do, they're pretty much basically pure instinct and reflexes.
thanks for the reply, i'm going to see how the T is doing in the morning whne i wake up. i never said who i bought the T from until someone said i should talk to them, and everyone i talked to said they were good guys so i never doubted that.
i know the T doesn't feel our kind of pain.. if anything it just puts me in pain, i can't stand seeing anything alive being as uncomfortable as that T looked earlier today, especially if its something i care about

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
oh! and if you look at the pictures on the first page of this post compared to the pics. i just posted from the first day i got the T you can see that its abdomen has gone down in size quite a bit, i don't know if that points to anything

SSW.com

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi Edie, sorry to hear about your spider doing badly. If it doesnt pull out of it you will get a store credit from us. Just send me an email and let me know. Our website and email was down a good part of last week until this monday so i wanted to post this here in case you emailed us and we didnt get your email. Thanks!

Joel Miller

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It's not a mature male.

Sorry it's not doing well, it happens with WC stuff.

Eric

R.HENNING

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes it is not a mature male.

I have had Avic's get all tied up in their own webbing.
And had to cut them out before, also had them die from being in a tied up state.
Also seen a few other arboreals get tied up in there own web.

Sorry to hear about yours.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
It's not a mature male.

Sorry it's not doing well, it happens with WC stuff.
That's what I was about to say. You can clearly see that in the first set of pics.
Truly sad to hear about, but with wild-caughts, crap happens.

thats one of the dangers with purchasing WC t's, though im kinda shocked jason or joel would of sold a t in such bad shape..they are really good at making sure their t's are in good condition prior to a sale????:?
Looking at the pics of when she first purchased it, (and having been there), you can't blame SSW for this at all, it looked visually fine at the time of purchase.

-Sean

edie

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That's what I was about to say. You can clearly see that in the first set of pics.
Truly sad to hear about, but with wild-caughts, crap happens.

Looking at the pics of when she first purchased it, (and having been there), you can't blame SSW for this at all, it looked visually fine at the time of purchase.

-Sean

i never blamed them :) i wasn't even going to say who i bought it from until people asked.. it was a beautiful spider when i first bought it, it dropped the weight fast though. i've had problems with 2 other wild caughts i've had in the past so i'm just going to stay away from them now.
and the spider did end up dying a couple days ago