Typhochlaena seladonia

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
I hope you are right, but too hopeful I think. We haven't seen that happen as the original owners always want to get back the money they put into the original stock (logical), and as with most small Ts, their sac sizes are small. The sacs often range from 20-60 for a variety of small species. I expect this one to be no exception.

The other bit of info to learn is how prolific are they? I don't expect them to be very prolific, but I hope I'm wrong.
Their sacs contain 20-25 slings, hence why they emerge larger than expected.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yeah, I agree. I really don't think the price will come down a lot anytime soon but I can dream :p. Hopefully they breed easily in captivity as well. I'll get one eventually :p

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, I agree. I really don't think the price will come down a lot anytime soon but I can dream :p. Hopefully they breed easily in captivity as well. I'll get one eventually :p
It just depends on what breeders are out for...

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I'd guess that the colors act as warning coloration. Don't forget, other animals, including its predators, could see those colors completely differently
This is not indifferent from some other insects. Look at the venomous caterpillars for instance. Some of them look beautiful but OUCH!

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
I hope you are right, but too hopeful I think. We haven't seen that happen as the original owners always want to get back the money they put into the original stock (logical) This is accurate, and as with most small Ts, their sac sizes are small. The sacs often range from 20-60 for a variety of small species. I expect this one to be no exception. This is inaccurate . I have no idea how many small tarantulas you have bred, but there are many that have very large numbers in their sacs definitely over 60 yet they are often just very tiny. I have bred quite a few and can say Hapalopus, Cyriocosmus, Avicularia minitrax, and others are a few that I have had over 60
The other bit of info to learn is how prolific are they? I don't expect them to be very prolific, but I hope I'm wrong. This is an opinion and I treat opinions like I do buggers. I pick the ones I like and the rest I just blow out. Time will tell as we have many uncertainty as many species I have had have had small egg sacs based upon different circumstances....first time bred for example/young small female. I have had Gbb's with 50 and others with 350

Hey Joe,

So are these not 2nd instar slings that are being offered ? I'm confused now. It seems crazy for a small species to have .5" second instar slings. I guess its possible. Unless if you are saying they have molted a few times? That makes more sense to me at least, but then how small were they when they hatched?

Pretty spiders, maybe next time ;)

Later, Tom
We already spoke over the phone, but for the sake of others I will reiterate what I stated in another post on this thread. They have had a few molts.... eggs to eggs with legs- 1 (if you want to call that a molt), eggs with legs to 1st-2, eggs with legs to 2nd -3, and 2nd-3rd would be 4. So yes I would agree that they are larger then thought and it is very possible this was not perhaps just a first time breeding for the female, but maybe a young juvenile female (which in often cases have small egg sacs as well).

Point is........ we can save all the speculation, hope for the best, and we will see how it goes.

Previous post included here is on the miss speculation on size as well as other comments: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/typhochlaena-seladonia.288579/page-2#post-2549435

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is inaccurate . I have no idea how many small tarantulas you have bred, but there are many that have very large numbers in their sacs definitely over 60 yet they are often just very tiny. I have bred quite a few and can say Hapalopus, Cyriocosmus, Avicularia minitrax, and others are a few that I have had over 60
The sac numbers I quoted were from various breeders over the years. Typically the numbers I heard were below 100 for the smaller species (3" DLS) that were reported to me. Were there some over 100 you bet, but higher numbers weren't the norm in what I was provided.

As you well know Joe there are a variety of reasons, some known and some not, to explain sac size. ;)

Indeed what I wrote about how prolific they may or may not be, was an opinion, doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out haha.

I didn't know you ate boogers.....o_O;)

Last edited:

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
The sac numbers I quoted were from various breeders over the years. Typically the numbers I heard were below 100 for the smaller species (3" DLS) that were reported to me. Were there some over 100 you bet, but higher numbers weren't the norm in what I was provided. Well we went from 60-100 that is a 40 count jump and if that was dollars I would have a full tank of gas LOL. However, I have had many sacs over that especially those pumpkin, munchkin, other patches LOL

As you well know Joe there are a variety of reasons, some known and some not, to explain sac size. ;) In deed that is why I wrote what I did

Indeed what I wrote about how prolific they may or may not be, was an opinion, doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out haha. Never said anyone needed to make rocket parts lol..That is why I wrote, "we can save all the speculation, hope for the best, and we will see how it goes.".

I didn't know you ate boogers.....o_O;) LOL As I have seen before you need to re-read before you click the send button ....I never stated I eat them....I said, " I pick the ones I like". Again, I pick them as we all do, but don't eat :mooning: LOL

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Joe-- No, I read what you typed. Though, for the life of me I can't figure out why someone would pick boogers they like, when one can blow them all out. And, when you do pick the ones you like, I can't imagine what you may do with them. T collections, booger collections....

As for speculation, there's nothing wrong with healthy speculation. No need to "save" it. hahahah

As for the numbers, again, the norm I heard was below 100, most not above 60. This isn't my data, just what people have told me.

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Joe-- No, I read what you typed. Though, for the life of me I can't figure out why someone would pick boogers they like, when one can blow them all out. And, when you do pick the ones you like, I can't imagine what you may do with them. T collections, booger collections...."

I feed the good ones to my favorite tarantulas. Wiggle them a bit and they think they are a cricket. Oddly enough they are dwarfs and when they had their egg sacs their numbers were well over 100 :jimlad:

I am blessed to be able to use my own data as I love lots of dwarfs (along with every other tarantula as well) and have been quite successful. I remember when everyone thought Maraca Cabocla (Now Bumba and I liked the sound of Maraca so much more :( ) was a tiny dwarf tarantula when they first came out. So happy to see many many of my offspring out there successful and getting much larger then expected.

Last edited:

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
Gesù Cristo :angelic: that yellow text color destroyed my eyes :-s
You are right & I fixed it for you as it is ....much to bright to be the color of nasal crust, snorters, nose gems, bogeys, snot, phlegm,mucous,nostril candy, golden nuggets, boogies, boogers ......caccole :writer:

Ciao

N8Legged

Arachnosquire
How does something this colorful even hide in the wild, ya know? It was hard enough for me to imagine A. versicolor slings hiding. This thing is like a box of markers barfed on a dust bunny.
watched a video on youtube of several specimens in their natural habitat (which is being destroyed sadly) but they are arboreal and make little trap door burrows under the bark of trees.