Typhochlaena seladonia

14pokies

Arachnoprince
You guys, just be glad that you have better things to spend large amounts of money on than me :dead:.
That's about as comforting as "We can still be friends"..

*Edit* so back to the OP have you decided on how your going to raise it, temps ,moisture level ,enclosure furnishing etc.. ?

Last edited:

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Oh stop slings will be 20 bucks a pop before you know it. ;)

Edit: I would just like to add that this was meant to be read very sarcastically. xD

Last edited:

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer

*Edit* so back to the OP have you decided on how your going to raise it, temps ,moisture level ,enclosure furnishing etc.. ?
Well I keep all of my T's at a constant 77° F. I'm gonna put the little one in your typical amac box arboreal setup with plenty of drilled ventilation with moist sub. It's just another tarantula so I, and others, figure there really shouldn't be much to it.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Well I keep all of my T's at a constant 77° F. I'm gonna put the little one in your typical amac box arboreal setup with plenty of drilled ventilation with moist sub. It's just another tarantula so I, and others, figure there really shouldn't be much to it.
Word.. I look forward to seeing how it does thats for sure!

Andy00

Arachnoknight
Sorry if this has already been mentioned but... what's the adult size on these beauties? Honestly, they're so beautiful you could probably sell one of its molts for a good amount of money haha

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Sorry if this has already been mentioned but... what's the adult size on these beauties? Honestly, they're so beautiful you could probably sell one of its molts for a good amount of money haha
At this point its up in the air. Every picture I've seen online that claims "adult female" has a specimen around 2.5" diagonal leg span.

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
Body size reaches around 1 cm(0.4") in females from what i saw

Marijan2

Arachnobaron
This thread shows a female with a 1.9cm (0.75") body length. Based on this is how I estimate 2.5" dls.
sweet, so they are not ultratiny in the end! i read paper where female was less than 1cm in BL so i guessed it's their final size

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm not sure how pedantic you want this conversation to be Joe, let me know.

First of all, if you can't see the number there I don't know what to tell you. The spider is shown going over the 7 and over the 8. Our rulers here in the states have centimeters and if you line that up against the inch mark then that is clearly .5 an inch. That measurement is in Centimeters
You mentioned "such hate". I have no idea what made you write that. I wished Kodi the best of luck in raising this species, again, I don't think you read thoroughly or remember/reference what you are remarking about.

Joe either you missed what I wrote, or didn't understand what I wrote. Not everything translates via text at times. You'll have noticed my point was the ruler was obviously metric, not Imperial units, and I didn't care what the actual length is, :D. I don't care if @Kodi typed in 0.5" or 2,000,000" haha. It was simply about the units he typed, nothing more.
Here's the post for you.

Kodi said: "That measuring tape is in centimeters. How is that half of a centimeter?"

Viper69 said: "I know it's centimeters, I only use metric when I build things hahah. I hate our units here.
Oh, it's half a centimeter, because you wrote 0.5". I'll let you worry about the math :p:D:wacky:"

Furthermore, when you state comments like the "Poles" and lump a group together when you have no idea what your talking about for this spider I would find it to be very offensive.
I did write coming from Poland is not a guarantee that things were done illegally. I think @Kodi is smart enough to realize that I didn't mean EVERY resident of Poland ships/obtains Ts illegally, and does so 100% of the time.

Have a great one Joe, your comments are always fun to read.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I now have a pretty legitimate reason to buy a black light haha.
I'd be a bit cautious w/this. I've heard from a few serious scorpion keepers, I'm taking their word mind you, that UV light weakens their exoskeleton. The same could happen to Ts. What length of time to cause this was not mentioned to me.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I'd be a bit cautious w/this. I've heard from a few serious scorpion keepers, I'm taking their word mind you, that UV light weakens their exoskeleton. The same could happen to Ts. What length of time to cause this was not mentioned to me.
That's odd. If a scorpion's, or any terrestrial arthropod's, exoskeleton is weakened by UV light/ radiation than they would be in danger every time they are exposed to sunlight. Considering the exoskeleton of all spiders are basically made up of the same "stuff" and there are diurnal spiders, it's probably very unlikely UV radiation/ light has a negative effect.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's odd. If a scorpion's, or any terrestrial arthropod's, exoskeleton is weakened by UV light/ radiation than they would be in danger every time they are exposed to sunlight. Considering the exoskeleton of all spiders are basically made up of the same "stuff" and there are diurnal spiders, it's probably very unlikely UV radiation/ light has a negative effect.
If what I was told is true, then your above statement is not necessarily true. UV radiation's effect falls off by distance. For example, one can be outside and not have any damage to your retinas generally speaking. However, if you one is working in close proximity with a UV light as a significant source of illumination for even a couple of hours, damage to your retina, though usually only temporarily may happen. This happens in labs at times.

Also from an exotic husbandry perspective, when one uses a full spectrum bulb, ie emits UV radiation, the source must be within a certain distance for the animal to benefit. If the UV source is too far, the animal doesn't receive a benefit, and metabolic bone disease via improper calcium metabolism occurs.

Here's a link regarding UV bulbs and the effect of distance

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/phototherapyphosphor-tests.htm

Last edited:

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
I'm not sure how pedantic you want this conversation to be Joe, let me know.

You mentioned "such hate". I have no idea what made you write that. I wished Kodi the best of luck in raising this species, again, I don't think you read thoroughly or remember/reference what you are remarking about.

Joe either you missed what I wrote, or didn't understand what I wrote. Not everything translates via text at times. You'll have noticed my point was the ruler was obviously metric, not Imperial units, and I didn't care what the actual length is, :D. I don't care if @Kodi typed in 0.5" or 2,000,000" haha. It was simply about the units he typed, nothing more.
Here's the post for you.

Kodi said: "That measuring tape is in centimeters. How is that half of a centimeter?"

Viper69 said: "I know it's centimeters, I only use metric when I build things hahah. I hate our units here.
Oh, it's half a centimeter, because you wrote 0.5". I'll let you worry about the math :p:D:wacky:"

I did write coming from Poland is not a guarantee that things were done illegally. I think @Kodi is smart enough to realize that I didn't mean EVERY resident of Poland ships/obtains Ts illegally, and does so 100% of the time.

Have a great one Joe, your comments are always fun to read.

Perhaps it was written obscure as I was not the only one who had your statement in question as two others asked me about it. You missed the first part of your statement where you wrote, "The specimen shown there is not 0.5", but 0.5 cm". That appeared to be what you were writing and not a quote as there were no Quotations.

Now as far as the hate I never said it was directed toward Kodi, but as you stated "And from Poland, well that speaks volumes of its "legality" oh boy.:rolleyes:" . That certainly does not show much love lol, also states it was probably not legal. This comment, "The Poles are more than willing to send illegally to the USA" defintely groups Polish into a stereotype as well IMO.

Often times we should try and reflect or perhaps at least gather the facts by going to the sources before we click the post,submit,send button .....it often aids in keeping the foot out of ones mouth :spitoutdummy:

"Have a great one Joe, your comments are always fun to read" I often have a unique experience reading your positve uplifting comments :drowning: on the forum as well.

Again, You know where to find me my PM box is open, my telephone on during acceptible hours, and texts always are recivievable.....until then.

Joe Rossi

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Perhaps it was written obscure as I was not the only one who had your statement in question as two others asked me about it. You missed the first part of your statement where you wrote, "The specimen shown there is not 0.5", but 0.5 cm". That appeared to be what you were writing and not a quote as there were no Quotations.

Now as far as the hate I never said it was directed toward Kodi, but as you stated "And from Poland, well that speaks volumes of its "legality" oh boy.:rolleyes:" . That certainly does not show much love lol, also states it was probably not legal, this comment, "The Poles are more than willing to send illegally to the USA" defintely groups Polish into a stereotype as well IMO.

Often times we should try and reflect or perhaps at least gather the facts by going to the sources before we click the post,submit,send button .....it often aids in keeping the foot out of ones mouth :spitoutdummy:

"Have a great one Joe, your comments are always fun to read" I often have a unique experience reading your positve uplifting comments on the forum as well.

Again, You know where to find me my PM box is open, my telephone on during acceptible hours, and texts always are recivievable.....until then.

Joe Rossi

I see what you mean on the measurement Joe. I wrote it purposely like that because I was only pointing out the units, and wanted to keep Kodi's value the same. I kept the numbers the same in the hopes that @Kodi would notice I was singling out the units themselves, nothing more.

Now I see your reference on Poles re: hate. Actually there's no hate at all on my end. It wasn't clear who you thought I had hate for in that response of yours.

To be specific on "the Poles", SOME Poles do not always do things legally, and sometimes they do. ;)

Kodi

Title Master
Old Timer
Here's the little one that I'll be receiving Saturday morning.
201611109514541795resized.jpg

The fluff balls enclosure. Complete with two mosses and suspended cork bark so wherever it makes its web I can observe.
20161111_023807.jpg
20161111_023839.jpg