Ts as feeders for other Ts

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
But it serves a reasonable purpose; BREEDING. the other way is to put the spider in stupid risk.

You're telling me a dying MM is a greater risk than a fresh male? You've got to be kidding me Fran. I'm having a hard time rationalizing your opinion.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You're telling me a dying MM is a greater risk than a fresh male? You've got to be kidding me Fran.
You dont get it :).
Im saying that putting them together to cohabitate and BREED its different that to feed a MM at random.

That serves NO PORPOUSE, and inputs an UNNECESSARY RISK.

Theres no reason and no benefict to feed a MM to another spider. You have feeders for that which are safe for the animal to eat.
Less dangerous,less mess, less stressfull....

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You dont get it :).
Im saying that putting them together to cohabitate and BREED its different that to feed a MM at random.

That serves NO PORPOUSE, and inputs an UNNECESSARY RISK.

Theres no reason and no benefict to feed a MM to another spider. You have feeders for that which are safe for the animal to eat.
It's not random though. I'm purposely putting an old dying MM into the females cage so she can have a wonderful meal. The way I see it, it's a great benefit, to both myself and the female. She gets a big meal and I have one less T to worry about. At least he aint going into the garbage.

Anytime you place two spiders in the same tank, there's a risk, breeding or not.

I'm not going to argue with you on this subject anymore though. I can see you're stubborn in your ways so it'd be pointless of me to try and convince you otherwise. Agree to disagree.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's not random though. I'm purposely putting an old dying MM into the females cage so she can have a wonderful meal. The way I see it, it's a great benefit, to both myself and the female. She gets a big meal and I have one less T to worry about. At least he aint going into the garbage.

Anytime you place two spiders in the same tank, there's a risk, breeding or not.
I doubt a dying MM is a greater meal than your own gut loaded feeder roach.
Is it for YOUR benefict? That might be,but not for the T.

You have 100 dollars and 2 options.

Invest them on gambling with high posibilities to winn.
Invest them on a game with no possible winning outcome, besides playing.

In both cases you played and you were at risk, but only in one is inteligent to take the risk of loosing.

PS: this is not stubborness, but being practical and inteligent.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

I'm not going to argue with you on this subject anymore though. I can see you're stubborn in your ways so it'd be pointless of me to try and convince you otherwise. Agree to disagree.
What Fran is saying:
Putting a MM with a female to breed: You are doing it to breed the spider.
Putting a MM in with a female solely for the purpose of feeding the female: No reason to do it at all.

I agree with Fran. If you just dump the MM in there just to feed it off, no plans of breeding, you are putting the female at risk for no reason. Zero. That's pointless. Freeze it (Or just let it die off, why do you have to worry about it anyway?), then dump it in the trash, and give your female some roaches.... "it's still a great benefit, to both yourself and the female. She gets a big meal and you have one less T to worry about."

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree with Fran. If you just dump the MM in there just to feed it off, no plans of breeding, you are putting the female at risk for no reason. Zero. That's pointless. Freeze it (Or just let it die off, why do you have to worry about it anyway?), then dump it in the trash, and give your female some roaches.... "it's still a great benefit, to both yourself and the female. She gets a big meal and you have one less T to worry about."

There's a risk no matter what. Breeding or not. I don't freeze T's. Nor do I let them wither and die away. A MM is a lot bigger than 2 roaches. :) Why would I waste the roaches if I already have a meal for the female?

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A MM is a lot bigger than 2 roaches. :)
A cupcake has more mass than a MM. That doesnt mean that is a better meal for a tarantula.

The risk is there; one is stupid to take, the other one can give you a very positive and profitable outcome.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A cupcake has more mass than a MM. That doesnt mean that is a better meal for a tarantula.

The risk is there; one is stupid to take, the other one can give you a very positive and profitable outcome.
I see no risk in giving my big strong healthy female a meal that she will easily overcome. I see a way greater risk placing a fresh male in with my female.

I'm done with this now. I knew I'd get flamed for it.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I get what you guys are saying about the risk, but I also get what Jason is saying about not wasting a dying MM.

It's your spider, do what you want with it. I've fed males to females, and I've also let males wither and die.

Fran, the cupcake analogy was terrible - I hope you know that.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Fran, the cupcake analogy was terrible - I hope you know that.
Thats your opinion, buddy. It perfectly shows that no matter the size of the feeder, does not mean is a higher quality meal.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I see no risk in giving my big strong healthy female a meal that she will easily overcome. I see a way greater risk placing a fresh male in with my female.

I'm done with this now. I knew I'd get flamed for it.
No flames from me,-)

It happen all the time. Most people let their sacks cannibalize on eachother untill they reach a manegeable number. Most people dont have the time and energi to feed 1000+ slings, and even if they could sell all of them, they dont have the time to pack and ship that many times. I know many people here who does it. It´s a common practise.

As for using worn out MM as feeders, i am indefferent, they can do it or not, either way, it dont bother me. I use them when they are on their final leg.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thats your opinion, buddy. It perfectly shows that no matter the size of the feeder, does not mean is a higher quality meal.
You're comparing something a spider would actually EAT to something a spider would NEVER eat.

Bad analogy, buddy.

I also didn't see anything where Jason implied that the meal was of 'higher quality', only that it had more mass than two roaches.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is highly stupid IMO to breed a specie that you know you are not ready for,or up to the work after the eggs hatch.

the fact that is a common practice doesnt make it inteligent, right, reasonable or approachable.

No flamming here really, just contrasting opinions :).

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You're comparing something a spider would actually EAT to something a spider would NEVER eat.

Bad analogy, buddy.

I also didn't see anything where Jason implied that the meal was of 'higher quality', only that it had more mass than two roaches.
And I never implied that tarantulas eat cupcakes, but only that they are bigger than MM and it doesnt mean is better.

He used the term "greater". That can be interpreted as better.

Pociemon

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It is highly stupid IMO to breed a specie that you know you are not ready for,or up to the work after the eggs hatch.

the fact that is a common practice doesnt make it inteligent, right, reasonable or approachable.

No flamming here really, just contrasting opinions :).
No, it is not stupid if there is a market for a certain species. But if this species gives you 1000+ eggs, and you can sell 200, then most people would let cannibalizing take place untill they reach a desired number.

i dont care if it is inteligent or not, but it does make sense to do it this way. If a LP in nature gives 1000eggs, i am sure there is much less than 200 that will make it to adulthood, so all in all, the odds are better for the T´s this way;)

Last edited:

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Actually...

Go back to Spain. ;)

He reffered to it as a "wonderfull meal" , "great meal"...and i said that not because is bigger it means is better.

Sometimes you just jump on the wagon just for the heck of pointing something out at random, for the heck of it man. :)

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm not jumping on any wagon - I said I saw both sides of the argument but your analogy was terribly flawed. Who else told you your analogy sucked? Looks like I'm the only one, so it's my wagon. ;)

Chris,

The problem with your post is that Fran was directly responding to a different section of a different post, so anything Jason said prior to that doesn't really fit into this conversation.

Anyway...