Ts as feeders for other Ts

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think we can all come to the consensus that the OP uses smileys to much.

Other than that, I often feed MM's to females. And yes, I lost an adult P. antinous at one point.

Slings killing each other? Pretty normal in the wild. Less normal in captivity. But in my H. incei colony there's some serious canibalism going on.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Other than that, I often feed MM's to females.
Slings killing each other? Pretty normal in the wild. Less normal in captivity. But in my H. incei colony there's some serious canibalism going on.
I think thats a bit barbarian,no need for that... No need to use them as feeders.
Is like if a T is not doing well you feed her to another bigger T.
Ridiculous.

Last edited:

mitchrobot

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
if the MMs i have are mine, and running out of steam they are fed to the female (well, cohabitate until she eats em). i see no point in wasting MMs by letting them waste away...thats a damn big meal with EVERYTHING a gravid female needs to make more of themselves ;). now this is older haggard boys, i wouldnt intentionally feed off a robust healthy male, especially one bigger than my females but only because i wouldnt want the MM making a meal out of my girls.

i see nothing wrong with sac mate cannibalism on species that produce like a trillion slings, or really in general if that's what the breeder decides to do. but to each his own i suppose. also, T nymphs make excellent feeders for tiny slings. my elegans slings have been growing like weeds lately as theyve been getting part of the herd of NC nymphs i have.

now, feeding a big healthy T to another bigger healthy T....i dunno, personally wouldnt do it, but a feeder is a feeder i suppose. although id be afraid of the 'feeder' T hurting the non feeder T (same reason why i personally dont feed my big guys adult mice or like...potato bugs...things bite hard)

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why the hell would you breed (with all the work involved) if you are gonna kill the babies, may I ask.

I see no reason for it. :confused:

A MM Wont be any better of a meal that 2 fat roaches, but way more dangerous. The male reacts and bites the other one and les voila, 2 kills in one idiotic move ( IMO).

But hey, to each his own. Dont see the point, but I guess not everyone has to be reasonable.

PS: Got a better idea. My bunny is not doing too well.....

Last edited:

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I just love how a thread about MMs attempting a post-ultimate molt come up every once in a while and people tell them to freeze it to "end its suffering". Then they say they feel bad for freezing it. What the heck? You mean freezing a T is worse than feeding it to a female? Sheesh, I'd rather freeze to death then be ate alive. So much for "ending it's suffering"

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wouldn't do it personally, but I fail to see how this is any different than feeding crickets or roaches (as far as slings go).

RottweilExpress

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Don't worry Franny, I'd love to kill your bunny. But on another note, I feed off MM's I can't get a mate for or sell. And I let them become food before they've walked themselves to a frail rag, loosing limbs getting to the waterdish. But hey, why don't you let them die that way, gotta be the humane thing, right?

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You can do whatever the heck you want with your tarantulas,Sweedish, I dont give a flying crap.
Just pointing out the risks of the situation (Beside a tad barbarian,IMO), and the idiotic of breeding to kill them right after.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I wouldn't do it personally, but I fail to see how this is any different than feeding crickets or roaches (as far as slings go).
You need to pair several times the individuals, wait 3-4 months, incubate the sac, separate slings and then feed them off.

With crickets you go to the store, buy a dozen, come home and feed them off.
With roaches you open your bin, pick a baby, and feed it off

see the difference? :)

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You need to pair several times the individuals, wait 3-4 months, incubate the sac, separate slings and then feed them off.

With crickets you go to the store, buy a dozen, come home and feed them off.
With roaches you open your bin, pick a baby, and feed it off

see the difference? :)
That doesn't change the fact that you are feeding one invert to another.

Someone isn't buying slings to feed slings, they merely have excess slings. I have read of people here on the boards freezing LP slings because they had sold all they could and couldn't continue feeding 5 or 6 hundred (or a thousand). I am not suggesting that anyone breed irresponsibly, however if you have excess slings that will either 1. Die from improper care, or 2. provide a meal to another hungry sling then why not?

The only difference between a tarantula and a roach being a pet and a feeder is the emphasis the keeper chooses to place on it. Obviously raising and getting young from a tarantula versus a roach is entirely different, but again one wouldn't be raising them with the express purpose of feeding them, they would be doing it because they had no other choice.

Again, I am not saying I would do this, or that anyone should. I would give slings away before I fed them to other T's. I am just saying that this isn't beyond the realm of possibility and is certainly isn't barbaric.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Greediness.

I had an lp sack with 2400 eggs (the rest i gave as freebies) , put them for sell as $1 a piece and they were sold in the first 2 weeks.

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Greediness.

I had an lp sack with 2400 eggs (the rest i gave as freebies) , put them for sell as $1 a piece and they were sold in the first 2 weeks.
This has been debated before, but the point is now that your 2400 LPs are distributed the next person may not be able to sell a single one.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This has been debated before, but the point is now that your 2400 LPs are distributed the next person may not be able to sell a single one.
People who buys in bulk are dealers. Dealers wont feed off the stock ;)

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
People who buys in bulk are dealers. Dealers wont feed off the stock ;)
Lol, What if the dealers aren't buying any because the market is saturated? Again, likely with high producing species.

flamesbane

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If nobody is buying, then why breed them in the first place?
See my previous post where I said one shouldn't breed irresponsibly. However, it is very hard to know the market if you aren't constantly selling in it (IE most people who breed).

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A MM Wont be any better of a meal that 2 fat roaches, but way more dangerous. The male reacts and bites the other one and les voila, 2 kills in one idiotic move ( IMO).
How is this any different than letting a female and male cohabitate for breeding purposes. Males get munched all the time. A dying MM is a pretty safe meal IMO.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
How is this any different than letting a female and male cohabitate for breeding purposes. Males get munched all the time. A dying MM is a pretty safe meal IMO.
IT IS DIFFERENT, that has a purpose that is breeding , with a possible outcome.
People here is talking about feeding MM at random, just for the heck of it.

A MM fangs can be quite large. If the male bites the female, death of both
is very likely.