Too many babies?

sycjoco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
If your scorpion has babies how can you get rid of them all. Besides keeping a couple... Can you sell them real cheap to stores? or would it be better to kill some off real young :eek:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You could give us some more info like which species, how many etc etc (hint hint)

sycjoco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
probally emperor scorpions... Can you cross breed species? because aren't red claws and emperors both from panidus ??? I like my emperor, but it would be cooler if he were more active by himself and also in the hunt. He doesn't go after his meal... He just waits in the hide until it happens to go in and then he pinches them.

Should i think of also getting a red claw?
I bought this emperor for around 15 with tax, and this other store i know has them for 6.99 but was out of stock ... and there red claws are around 13. Could i keep them together too? or if i buy more emperors would they be alright in the same tank?

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Based on your limited posting career here I think it would be best if you stayed away from breeding scorps for a while bud :)

And for the love of christ do not crossbreed species of the same genus on purpose. Learn more about the basic care and behavioral habits of the scorpions you already own before you start contemplating the ramifications of such advanced hypothetical situations.

edit: to answer your question though probably the most humane way of killing of excess stock would be in the freezer. But why not plan ahead and avoid such a situation ever occuring?

sycjoco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
So your saying it is possible to cross breed? well i would care for most of them and try to find them homes, but 20 is quite a bit.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So your saying it is possible to cross breed? well i would care for most of them and try to find them homes, but 20 is quite a bit.
:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

sycjoco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
come on just give me a clear answer.. If it is possible, but not reccomended because they would most likely kill eachother i won't do it. but if not i would like to try.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What. The. Christ. :confused:

Is english not your first language or something? If so I'll cut you some slack. But dang man, you seem pretty dense.

Crossbreeding within a genus is technically possible, but probably unethical for a whole host of reasons. So far you've exhibited nothing but incompetence in your posting here. For a clear answer: DO NOT CROSSBREED SPECIES. DO NOT BREED ANYTHING. LEARN TO CARE FOR YOUR SCORPIONS FIRST.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
And on the off chance you do end up with a bunch of baby scorpions, don't kill them. Place an add on the forums so people who want them can have the chance to have them.

sycjoco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
HAHAHAHHAHAHAhahaha yeah i dont type to properly, whatchu gonna do about it <edit>? okay i am off to create a unholy demon spawn of a scorpion. Peace <edit>

Last edited by a moderator:

robbie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well i think what you want to know is if it is okay to cross breed.... well the answer is NO:embarrassed: you should never try to cross breed any species of any animals. they were all made a certain way by GOD, and if you don't believe in GOD then evolution. either way these animals are a certain way for a reason. I would say it is just not a good idea.. Not trying to preach just my opinion.

sycjoco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well there are in the same genus... For example dogs make mutts... Whats the difference? If they will react aggressively that is another story, but if only to retain a pure breed...

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'm not sure if you can cross-breed them but if you are curious then put them together, don't cry when you lose a specimen.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The reason you don't crossbreed species with in the same genus is if, on the odd chance, you have a brood and sell them you aren't screwing up someone else's breeding projects.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Dogs are all the same species. Thats totally different from x-breeding 2 different species of scorps. I doubt they would breed successfully anyway.

sycjoco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
The reason you don't crossbreed species with in the same genus is if, on the odd chance, you have a brood and sell them you aren't screwing up someone else's breeding projects.
Oh i see. That thought couldn't have only been by me though...

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
HAHAHAHHAHAHAhahaha yeah i dont type to properly, whatchu gonna do about it <edit>? okay i am off to create a unholy demon spawn of a scorpion. Peace <edit>
ok well im off to properly care for my species and not try to create some sort of "hybrid" super species of scorpion to meet my personal expectations of what a scorpion should be.

Well there are in the same genus... For example dogs make mutts... Whats the difference? If they will react aggressively that is another story, but if only to retain a pure breed...
theres a huge difference between the selective breeding of dogs to produce desired traits over time (ie the creation of a working dog like the daschund or something), and what youre talking about. No one here is going to support your attempts at crossbreeding. The entire point of captive breeding is to PRESERVE these creatures that have remained relatively unchanged for hundreds of millions of years... not to create so called "mutts" for no good reason.

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Dogs are all the same species. Thats totally different from x-breeding 2 different species of scorps. I doubt they would breed successfully anyway.
Im pretty sure there has been some unintentional cross breeding of heterometrus species in captivity already. That's the only explanation I can come up with for this unidentifiable GIGANTIC (swamerdami sized) pair of heteros I've got my hands on. That or its an undescribed species. I ofcourse am hoping it's the latter!

sycjoco

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok well im off to properly care for my species and not try to create some sort of "hybrid" super species of scorpion to meet my personal expectations of what a scorpion should be.

theres a huge difference between the selective breeding of dogs to produce desired traits over time (ie the creation of a working dog like the daschund or something), and what youre talking about. No one here is going to support your attempts at crossbreeding. The entire point of captive breeding is to PRESERVE these creatures that have remained relatively unchanged for hundreds of millions of years... not to create so called "mutts" for no good reason.
Well I am off to cure cancer, while you fight for how things have been for millions of years.

Edit: also create a variety of hybrid scorpions. And no begging will not get me to give you any.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Im pretty sure there has been some unintentional cross breeding of heterometrus species in captivity already. That's the only explanation I can come up with for this unidentifiable GIGANTIC (swamerdami sized) pair of heteros I've got my hands on. That or its an undescribed species. I ofcourse am hoping it's the latter!
I am willing to bet you have the same thing as me.....WC H longimanus from Malaysia. I doubt these would be x-bred