Too many babies?

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am willing to bet you have the same thing as me.....WC H longimanus from Malaysia. I doubt these would be x-bred
I'll send you pics over email or PM as i prefer not to post them here and get a million opinions on what they are. But believe me they are most certainly none of the common species seen in captivity.

Parts of them say spinifer, parts of them say petersii, parts of them say longimanus. But they have been examined by several self proclaimed heterometrus experts, including some from asia, and none can reach any sort of conclusion on what the heck these are.

Have you had any success breeding yours? I just recently acquired this pair as well as 40 or so of their offspring. :clap:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Where did you get yours? There are a bunch of these Malaysian imports floating around now.
I do have a male and female together but no kids yet. I have only had them since February if memory serves me right

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Where did you get yours? There are a bunch of these Malaysian imports floating around now.
I do have a male and female together but no kids yet. I have only had them since February if memory serves me right
Sent you a PM with the details. It will be interesting to compare specimens. If this is indeed some sort of new species, it will liekly be highly desirable. :razz:

Australis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmmmr...sounds familiar
Tabor...care to PM me some pics
I wanna see if its the same as mine...

:D
Lets just sa they are kinda local

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What's wrong with cross-breeding? 99.9% of the time the resulting hybrids are sterile anyways so no harm can be done! Has anyone ever heard of a mule, beefalo, a fantasy horned frog, a liger or a blood parrot cichlid?

BadBikaDamo

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Cross breeding species useually results in retarded unhealthy animals. Scientists do it to prove they can (egomaniacs). There are over 2000 amazing differnet scorpions out there to choose from. If you want some sort of super beast, go back to playing warhammer. Better still, might I recommend you take a trip to the Congo and find the true beast, the Pandinus Dictator.

hadrurus 666

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Cross breeding is wrong, scorpions evolved in different shapes and sizes to cope with anything thrown at them, this means that they are the "best" they can get at the moment, until evolution changes them again.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What's wrong with cross-breeding? 99.9% of the time the resulting hybrids are sterile anyways so no harm can be done! Has anyone ever heard of a mule, beefalo, a fantasy horned frog, a liger or a blood parrot cichlid?
Because if they are not sterile and some irresponsible person sells them to someone like me that does NOT want hybrids in the gene pool then I am screwed. That alone should be a good enough reason.
I am quite familiar with the other animals you are speaking of. I just dont want this in my personal scorpion collection.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Sent you a PM with the details. It will be interesting to compare specimens. If this is indeed some sort of new species, it will liekly be highly desirable. :razz:
The pics look just like what I have and they were IDed as H longimanus

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What's wrong with cross-breeding? 99.9% of the time the resulting hybrids are sterile anyways so no harm can be done! Has anyone ever heard of a mule, beefalo, a fantasy horned frog, a liger or a ?
None of those are anthropods. Plus, we are trying to support the hobby, not deplete pure populations. Theres no reason to cross breed anything when we have mates for all the differnt kinds of species around, all that would be done is a loss of productive oppurtunities to breed correctly.

And also, about the "No harm done" comment. There are documented cases where hybridization has contributed to the extinction of species. Currently, the mallard duck, introduced to hawaii for hunting purposes, has been extensively cross breeding in the wild with the hawaii duck, an endangered species.... I'm sure the ones who were part of the introduction effort said the same thing, and it's quite evident they were wrong.

It's very unfortunate that people aren't respectful of nature. Locally I've noticed someone released a bunch of pet ducks, look like some sort of asian species, into the wild. After the winter melt, I noticed all of them paired off...... with regular mallard ducks. I'm sure the moron will be long and dead by then, but with the amount of ground birds can travel in any given day is well within the boundaries of all the other duck populations around here, you can only imagine that it will just be a period of time before they ruin the rest of the pure mallards in the area.

Other hybrid organisms that refute "no harm done" is fish, in which hybridization has cause humongous drops in natural populations, and or presents a competitive advantage, which will depete the species of fish these hybrids feed on. Also we have seen many unforuate circumstances plant hybridizing in the wild.

Sorry for the ear full, but the comments in this thread were far from accurate.

Aztek

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
He never said he was going to release them in to the wild...

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well I am off to cure cancer, while you fight for how things have been for millions of years.

Edit: also create a variety of hybrid scorpions. And no begging will not get me to give you any.
Whats up with this newb here trying some genetics experiments with an animal he hardly know about.:evil: Do what you want but i'm willing to bet your not gonna do any crossbreeding of any size.

JLDomestics

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't see how the mallard duck fits into this discussion. The ducks live in the wild. We are talking about captive specimens which will only be living in captivity. I know this comes down to a matter of ethics and personal opinion, and there is no right or wrong answer. SOme people don't like hybrids, that's fine. Others, like me, are quite fascinated with them, and actually strive to obtain hybrid specimens. I can see Brian S standpoint about not wanting to obtain any hybrids that he thinks are "purebreds"(not sure if that word fits properly?), but that's where it comes down to doing your research before you buy to make certain that what you are receiving is what you want to be receiving. Give it another 10 or 20 years, there will be more hybrids around than you can believe right now.

quiz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't see how the mallard duck fits into this discussion. The ducks live in the wild. We are talking about captive specimens which will only be living in captivity. I know this comes down to a matter of ethics and personal opinion, and there is no right or wrong answer. SOme people don't like hybrids, that's fine. Others, like me, are quite fascinated with them, and actually strive to obtain hybrid specimens. I can see Brian S standpoint about not wanting to obtain any hybrids that he thinks are "purebreds"(not sure if that word fits properly?), but that's where it comes down to doing your research before you buy to make certain that what you are receiving is what you want to be receiving. Give it another 10 or 20 years, there will be more hybrids around than you can believe right now.
hybrids of? :5:

tabor

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hopefully most species wont interbeed so it wont even be an issue :)

scorpians111

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
heres my ansew why not ask some1 on here for a active emp and ask him to send u it and breed them together so u have 50 % of a chance to get a active and vicious emp and i think crossbreeding is wrong but it is possible