Today in the Spider Room?

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
You're going to be overrun with babies in about 30 days, yeah? Tliltocatl and Caribena munchkins everwhere! Good luck with them!
If all goes well. I still have many milestones to meet, starting with making it 30 days without a sac being eaten 🤣

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
20240520_112410.jpg
New PB for shipment size @ 150. I'm finally south of 400 tarantulas in the room right now lol. That'll probably change next Monday though as it's time to pull another eggsack ;) .

Seriously @NMTs thank you for lighting a fire; I would've missed this opportunity. Only 10 days from pairing though so hopefully that was enough time to marinate 🤣
Sperm is stored in the spermatheca and the eggs are fertilized as they leave the female's body, no marination required lol.

Last edited:

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
Some of my beautiful pokies were out posing pretty today.
Gosh I love this sp. So glad I got the nerve to get some. They really aren't demons.

P regalis
1000007676.jpg
1000007663.jpg

P vittata
1000007677.jpg

Gevo

Arachnopeon
I’m about to witness a molt for the first time! I got my juvenile Brachypelma hamorii (named Sybil) back at the end of September. It promptly burrowed for several months and emerged in February. Over the last several weeks, their abdomen swelled and got shiny, and overnight, it has started blackening a lot, so I believe a molt is imminent and am very excited! They’re in the burrow, so no photos, but with any luck, I’ll get the molt intact enough to see if I can determine if they’re male or female. Whatever happens, I can’t wait to see their new colours!
Sybil molted! They made a molt mat last night and flipped over before I went to bed, and when I woke up, they were just flipping back over post-molt. They’re resting in their burrow now, so I’m leaving them alone, but their colours are much brighter on the legs, and I can already see there’s a significant size increase. They have the molt with them, but with any luck, I’ll get a chance to look at it when they’re ready to let it go. What a cool process to witness!

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Sybil molted! They made a molt mat last night and flipped over before I went to bed, and when I woke up, they were just flipping back over post-molt. They’re resting in their burrow now, so I’m leaving them alone, but their colours are much brighter on the legs, and I can already see there’s a significant size increase. They have the molt with them, but with any luck, I’ll get a chance to look at it when they’re ready to let it go. What a cool process to witness!
Congratulations! It is pretty amazing and it never gets old. I’ll always stay up to watch if I catch one flipped or in the process.

corydalis

Arachnoknight
Caught my Hmac out last night, in a really good mood, which means that she wasn't bothered by the flashlight at all.. so in attempt to get a few capture of her feeding (which has almost never been accomplished before), tried my luck and carefully placed a crippled roach under her. Despite of the poor thing's dramatic agony, took her more than ten minutes to take it, but for my utter satisfaction this time she didn’t retreat with her prey behind the bark, decided to consume it on the spot instead. Needless to say, I did not hesitate to take advantage of this rare opportunity.

IMG_0423.JPG
IMG_0488.JPG

My girl even danced for me :kiss:

IMG_0381.JPG IMG_0385.JPG

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Caught my Hmac out last night, in a really good mood, which means that she wasn't bothered by the flashlight at all.. so in attempt to get a few capture of her feeding (which has almost never been accomplished before), tried my luck and carefully placed a crippled roach under her. Despite of the poor thing's dramatic agony, took her more than ten minutes to take it, but for my utter satisfaction this time she didn’t retreat with her prey behind the bark, decided to consume it on the spot instead. Needless to say, I did not hesitate to take advantage of this rare opportunity.

View attachment 474004
View attachment 474006

My girl even danced for me :kiss:

View attachment 474002 View attachment 474003
Just gorgeous!

zsiciarz

Arachnosquire
The Eucratoscelus pachypus slings did the pachypus thing and dug vertical burrows.
IMG_2279.jpg

My suspected female Neischnocolus sp. Panama has found her perfect spot in the enclosure.
IMG_2288.jpg

Guess it's now a "stick your legs out of the burrow" theme? Nhandu tripepii joins the chat.
IMG_2281.jpg

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +

FatBadBay

Arachnopeon
I rehoused my aphonopelma sp. Santa Cruz and t. Albo when I noticed my g. Pulchra doing her typical pose whenever I'm working in the room.
20240527_211527.jpg
20240527_210841.jpg

20240527_205447.jpg

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
20240527_123643.jpg
20240527_124101.jpg
20240527_124446.jpg
Fourth eggsack of the year, this is another Phormingochilus sp Akcaya and it's a big one lol. This'll likely put me north of 600 animals produced so far in 2024.

In other news, one of my other Akcaya's is on her second eggsack this year....

corydalis

Arachnoknight
Rehoused my young adult P. miranda into her permanent enclosure several days ago. Today I offered her two adult male dubia to plump her up a bit, she immediately hunt them down one after the other, celebrating her new home with a substantial meal.

Also tried to work with natural light only, which was quite of a challenging task due to the fact that there wasn't really enough, and I still don't have a tripod..

IMG_1012.JPG IMG_1092.JPG

After the feast, she couldn't wait to inaugurate her new water dish, of course.

IMG_1114.JPG

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Rehoused my freshly molted A. moderatum female to switch out her substrate and got some decent pics:
1000023513.jpg
1000023501.jpg

Also rehoused this less-itty bitty Homoeomma uruguayense sling, which decided to go exploring:
1000023528.jpg
1000023549.jpg
1000023567.jpg

And my AF Psalmopoeus victori is eating like a horse preparing to be paired this week. She's gorgeous...
1000023482.jpg

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I think she knows day 30 is upon us.

She's been doing a lot of twerking over the last month but this is the first time I've seen her completely off the ground

:(

PXL_20240604_230021002~2.jpg
PXL_20240604_230349410.jpg

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Rehoused this lovely girl yesterday and decided to get some pictures during the process. There are less than 10 pictures of adult females online that I've found, so wanted to contribute what I could. She's not the easiest specimen to work with.....
View attachment VID-20240605-WA0026.mp4

TLSizzle

Arachnoknight
Cute P victori sling made an appearance today
1000008057.jpg

Rehoused my P reduncus. So beautiful.
1000007843.jpg

And my freshly molted A chalcodes female started drumming in the mouth of her burrow today 😵💫

NMTs

Spider Wrangler
Arachnosupporter +
Rehoused this lovely girl yesterday and decided to get some pictures during the process. There are less than 10 pictures of adult females online that I've found, so wanted to contribute what I could. She's not the easiest specimen to work with.....
View attachment 474989
What do you mean "not the easiest specimen to work with..."?! She went right up to the camera and posed all by herself! 😆 Great photos and video.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
What do you mean "not the easiest specimen to work with..."?! She went right up to the camera and posed all by herself....
.... after jump tackling a bamboo skewer from a threat pose :rofl:.

She did not like that prodding stick, that's for sure.
IMG-20240605-WA0027.jpg

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
She started with 1 water dish. After having knocked it over time and time again, I said fine and gave her a second…on the opposite side. This morning, I found she’d knocked over both and drug one to the other. This evening, I found she had righted one of them, filled it with dirt and was sitting triumphant atop it, cleaning her fangs. The dirt she’s depositing in the water dish is what she’s digging around the perimeter. I’m torn here, should her nickname be Punk Rock Girl or Jerkface?
IMG_2562.jpeg
IMG_2569.jpeg