Today in the Spider Room?

Hi
a little moult sexing exercise revealed that my D diamantinensis suspected male raised from tiny sling is actually a lady.
Picture_20233005013030.jpg
20230405_134106.jpg

Me and my 3 AF are gutted.lol
The hunt for a boy continues ....
Regards Konstantin

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
20230406_224902.jpg
LARGE 0.1 Phormingochilus sp Sabah Blue, patiently waiting for the male dubia to come out from behind the PVC.

20230407_153558.jpg
Ornithoctonus sp Ranong Blue turret construction

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Rehoused:
  • 0.0.5 Ornithoctoninae sp Ho Chi Minh
  • 0.0.3 Ornithoctoninae sp Vietnam Silver
  • 0.0.1 Ornithoctonus aureotibialis
  • 0.0.2 Phormingochilus sp Akcaya (highly likely to be 1.1 from ventral coloration, but I'll wait for a molt)
  • 0.0.1 Phormingochilus sp Sabah Blue
  • 0.0.1 Phormingochilus pennellhewlettorum
And with all the new, larger enclosures from the rehousing spree, rearranged the collection:
20230408_172818.jpg
20230408_172800.jpg

I didn't take a lot of pictures during the rehousing as I had a lot to do in a short amount of time, but here's one of the O. sp Vietnam Silver that got upgraded today:
20230408_123412.jpg

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I'm about 95% sure the massive 7"+ DLS P. regalis I've had in a bioactive for 4 or 5 years is sitting on a phantom eggsack. I needed to tear down that tank anyway and redo it, but I REALLY didn't think I'd have to deal with her on an eggsack while doing it. That should be fun to deal with, trying to get an eggsack from her in a burrow that goes through a pothos root ball :grumpy:.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
I'm about 95% sure the massive 7"+ DLS P. regalis I've had in a bioactive for 4 or 5 years is sitting on a phantom eggsack. I needed to tear down that tank anyway and redo it, but I REALLY didn't think I'd have to deal with her on an eggsack while doing it. That should be fun to deal with, trying to get an eggsack from her in a burrow that goes through a pothos root ball :grumpy:.
That sounds like a challenging situation! Good luck.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
That sounds like a challenging situation! Good luck.
I'll probably let her hold it for two weeks or so while I work on some other planned projects in the T room. With any luck, she'll toss it out or eat it lol. If I'm not lucky, well...... oh well lol.

8 legged

Arachnoprince
T. albo / G. pulchra - both juvenile girls...
DSCN7267.JPG DSCN7272.JPG

...there are not only arachnids in the spider room...
my Rosyboa (L. t. roseofusca) and my old Hog Island Lady...
DSCN7226.JPG DSCN7240.JPG

...arrived today: the most expensive animal in the room, a Yeti Hognose girl:
DSCN7254.JPG DSCN7249.JPG

Chris73G

Arachnopeon
My adult geniculata seems like it its about to molt soon, which i didn´t expect. Got her last year, she molted in may and now she recently refused food, kicked hairs around her enclosure and the bald spots on the abdomen start getting dark. Didn´t expect a adult female to molt again after not even a year and with the temperatures in the room not particularly warm during the winter :).

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Got to see my G ihrengi actively hunt last night, which was a treat. Our usual feeding method is, she bolts to her burrow when I open her enclosure and sits just past the opening in wait. 9.5 times out of 10, the cricket runs straight into her burrow and I only see her legs wrapped around it. Last night, the cricket stayed up top and after a minute or two of waiting, she came out looking for it. She hid in the leaves over her burrow and waited. The cricket moved, she pounced, but it got away. She didn't chase it, but hit the reset button and went back in the leaves again and waited. Sure enough, after a couple minutes the cricket started exploring again and this time she waited for it to get a bit closer to her before pouncing on it. Score!

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
P. irminia juvi 8 days post-molt and very (VERY) ready for that cricket. Earned its chevrons this molt. I'll miss the 80's leg warmers though.
PXL_20230413_212249754.jpg

Growing like a weed even through winter. Three molts with me: Dec 7, Jan 30, Apr 5.
PXL_20230413_170612124.jpg

That last molt is already just a hair shy of 2", guessing it's close to 2.5 now. Unfortunately it spent a solid week chewing this one, so I don't think I'll be able to sex it this time.

Got a great glimpse of its full leggy glory though!

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Someone realizes there's food nearby. It almost looks like she's pointing at the mealworm containers like "Hey human! Get the hint? I'm hungry!" IMG_20230415_213819156~2.jpg

Pedipalpable

Arachnosquire
Someone realizes there's food nearby. It almost looks like she's pointing at the mealworm containers like "Hey human! Get the hint? I'm hungry!" View attachment 443344
It does kind of look that way. I‘m imagining her tapping on the enclosure wall with leg to emphasize her point. :lol:

As an aside, that is a gorgeous T. I am wanting to get a Pamphobeteus antinous myself at some point but I‘m finding it difficult to figure out which of the obscurely labeled regional variations I should get. If only the genus wasn’t so darn confusing. :confused:

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Yeah, the whole genus is a taxonomic mess. Mine is a "big black" variation which seems to be one of the more common ones. You should definitely get one if you can. Big, active, and quite feisty with a great appetite !

Pedipalpable

Arachnosquire
Yeah, the whole genus is a taxonomic mess. Mine is a "big black" variation which seems to be one of the more common ones. You should definitely get one if you can. Big, active, and quite feisty with a great appetite !
“Big black” is one I’m thinking about as I have read they grow quite large (8+”) and are jet black as adults. Both characteristics I like in a T. They seem hard to find though. Granted, I live in Canada, a veritable wasteland where invert hobbies are concerned. Guess I'll just have to keep looking.

Shinn

Arachnosquire
3 months in and my Cyriopagopus lividus seems to have settled into her new enclosure. I put in some foxtail moss expecting it to be dug up extensively but it seems to have built herself a turret and an extensive burrow under and over the piece of driftwood provided and decorated the entrance with some of the moss. Moss on the corner of the enclosure has grown in considerably.
20221001_182008.jpg
20230423_084741.jpg
20230423_084832.jpg
20230423_085817.jpg
She also built a nice 8 inch deep tunnel on the side of the enclosure but has since webbed it over sans this small window to peek in and out of.