Today in the Spider Room?

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Noticed today that my recently molted genic had been moving her exuviae to her burrow. It was currently sitting at the entrance and slightly squished down, after having been on the other side of the enclosure looking perfect yesterday.

Today, I was the one that was having none of that.

Using the bamboo tongs, I swiped it operation style in a smooth motion right out of her enclosure. She didn’t react until I was closing her lid. Maniacal laughter ensued.
Today’s score: Keeper: 1 T: 0

Hi all
Not a good day.
Lost my young AF Hapalopus formosus today.
I saw it coming few weeks back.She went very lethargic and just didn't sit right in her web.
She was 700 days since her last moult and well over due one.Refusing food for 259 days straight too.Lightly moistened half the enclosure 3 weeks ago when I noticed and added one more water dish closer to her web entrance and was hoping she will moult out but no joy unfortunately. Nothing I can pinpoint as cause she behaved normally for spider in heavy premoult and during her previous premoult refused food for 200 days ish too.Now need to find a date for my juvenile male when he is mature. Fingers crossed I will.
Regards Konstantin

Last edited:

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
Hi all
Not a good day.
Lost my AF Hapalopus formosus today.
I saw it coming few weeks back.It went very lethargic and just didn't sit right in her web.
She was 700 days since her last moult and well over due one.Refusing food for 259 days straight too.Lightly moistened half the enclosure 3 weeks ago when I noticed and added one more water dish closer to her web entrance and was hoping she will moult out but no joy unfortunately. Nothing I can pinpoint as cause she behaved normally for spider in heavy premoult and during her previous premoult refused food for 200 days ish too.Now need to find a date for my juvenile male when he is mature. Fingers crossed I will.
Regards Konstantin
I’m so sorry for the loss of your female. :.-(

I wish you the best for your male and slings to come.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Today Chucky (1.0 A. genic) heard crickets rustling and got REALLY excited! He wasted no time and tried to run towards the edge of the container to grab it. I love it when they're extremely food motivated. Always so entertaining on feeding day. IMG_20230523_184249276_HDR~2.jpg

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Hi all
Not a good day.
Lost my young AF Hapalopus formosus today.
I saw it coming few weeks back.She went very lethargic and just didn't sit right in her web.
Regards Konstantin
Aw, I'm sorry. Always sucks to lose a spider. I wonder what happened.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
A failed molt sexing. My lovely genic, the one where I was so proud of myself for swiping her molt out of her enclosure before he reacted, was twisted so badly that it ripped while I was trying to sort it out. Maybe I’ll be able to sex the next one..likely around Christmas.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Doing the dishes after a few large rehousing sessions... Definetly the more mundane side of having a large collection.
20230528_102455.jpg

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
20230531_185138.jpg
Pulled this eggsack from a WC Hysterocrates sp Niger Delta. She entered my collection on ths skinnier side, so I was under the impression she had recently molted and this was possibly a phantom.....

20230531_185845.jpg
Guess not lol. Looks like she was paired in Africa before being collected and imported.

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
An accidental tong feeding with H pulchripes. Little lady was looking super skinny after her molt and was out and about. I lightly tapped her lid to send her bolting down her burrow, then opened the lid and carefully positioned the meal worm (crushed right before) to land on her very skinny front porch. To my surprise, she popped up like a jack-in-the-box and snatched it as soon as the tip of it touched her web and was gone back down the hole before I could blink. 02E7F430-02CD-4F1C-AC95-CC393B5A9B69.jpeg

IntermittentSygnal

Arachnotic
Arachnosupporter +
It’s pretty much the end of monsoon season in East Africa and I decided to give one last drench to a corner of Mz H pulchripes lithic soil-style enclosure (or at least my closest approximation of). I found myself singing, “I bless the rains down in Africa!” as I watered her enclosure corner tonight. Totally cracked myself up.

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My tiny G.rosea massacred some bean weevils. I'm a tad worried because upon further inspection, it seems to be missing a leg and I don't have any idea where or when it happened.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I'm sensing a pattern here..... MF P. irminia is on a phantom eggsack. That makes 3 this year.

SacredSalticidae

Arachnopeon
Got my 2nd T, an Avic avic, moved into their new enclosure and fed! Despite this being my 2nd T it's actually my first successful feeding. My B. hamorii disappeared into a burrow shortly after I brought it home and has yet to come out. :(

avicularia.jpg

ladyratri

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Finally, conclusive evidence for the first time in 8 months that my versi is capable of fully exiting its web tube!
PXL_20230610_011240788.jpg
Seriously the first sighting of its back two toes since I rehoused it on October 10.

And a slightly better glimpse of its fresh-ish new adult colors (and floof!) 🥰
PXL_20230610_011300832.jpg