Today in the Spider Room?

Metallattorney

Arachnopeon
My bumba horrida hooked out today. That was disappointing. My ceratogyrus darlingi though looks like it will be female.

kristof55

Arachnopeon
I fed my T. albopilosus, Mickey (my first ever T!), for the first time today since picking them up this past Monday. They took down a large and a medium cricket and then did a funny little dance, turning in a circle as they chowed down. It was adorable—included a brief video here.

...I give myself a week or less until I pull the trigger on an L. parahybana.

View attachment IMG_8352.mp4

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Slept badly, hence: Tonight in the spider-room!

MM, N. incei gold
DSCN7742.JPG

P. cancerides doesn´t like the flashlight (she doesn´t like anything ;-)
DSCN7721.JPG

"Big mama" in the house...
DSCN7746.JPG

T. polybotes (yes, I've posted too many pictures of her lately, but I love her)
DSCN7735.JPG

This lady will be mated next week (P. murinus)
DSCN7752.JPG

P. sp. vespertinus
DSCN7747.JPG

B. simoroxigorum has also left the cave
DSCN7757.JPG

RevS

Arachnopeon
Feeding and watering day... Well. I've watered enclosures a few days ago due to reasons).

All of my other spiders seem fine, the other Harpactira slings closed itself inside the web castle. In fact - all of my slings have now burrowed or hid in a way and I could see that my haplopelma has actually molted overnight.
With this I am once again at a dead end as I don't know what affected one of the slings to such degree while others seem completely fine.

As for the sick sling. It's unresponsive again and I am having a hard time telling if it's dead already or not (it seems to shift positions a bit). I'll let nature run it's course. It seems to be just barely clinging to life.

It has been a hard week...

Edit:
P. cancerides doesn´t like the flashlight (she doesn´t like anything ;-)
So... She's kinda like my Sp. "green (gold carapace)". Angry the moment I look in her direction...

B. simoroxigorum has also left the cave
Beautiful!

On a different note - how do you keep fittonia plants alive in your enclosures?
When I plant them in coco fiber they go from "I'm dying because it's so dry" to "Lol - root rot" with one watering.

Last edited:

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Feeding and watering day... Well. I've watered enclosures a few days ago due to reasons).

All of my other spiders seem fine, the other Harpactira slings closed itself inside the web castle. In fact - all of my slings have now burrowed or hid in a way and I could see that my haplopelma has actually molted overnight.
With this I am once again at a dead end as I don't know what affected one of the slings to such degree while others seem completely fine.

As for the sick sling. It's unresponsive again and I am having a hard time telling if it's dead already or not (it seems to shift positions a bit). I'll let nature run it's course. It seems to be just barely clinging to life.

It has been a hard week...

Edit:

So... She's kinda like my Sp. "green (gold carapace)". Angry the moment I look in her direction...

Beautiful!

On a different note - how do you keep fittonia plants alive in your enclosures?
When I plant them in coco fiber they go from "I'm dying because it's so dry" to "Lol - root rot" with one watering.
I use turtlesubstrate mixed with vermiculite.
I just sprinkle some coco fiber over the surface so that it doesn't look so boring. Coco fiber is not earth, just waste - nothing grows there!

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Rehoused my new A. anax from the insanely large enclosure she was in to a more appropriate one. She wasn’t very happy about it but so far it was still the chillest rehouse I’ve done. Last time was my N. coloratovillosus and that sure was fun. It looked like she only used about a third of the enclosure she was in anyway, so I’m hoping this new one will work for her.

RevS

Arachnopeon
I use turtlesubstrate mixed with vermiculite.
I just sprinkle some coco fiber over the surface so that it doesn't look so boring. Coco fiber is not earth, just waste - nothing grows there!
Explains why I get far better results with a mixture of topsoil and coco fiber.

GiuseppeCharcodes

Arachnopeon
Brand new to the hobby. Last night I was having trouble sleeping, so I checked the enclosure. My little A. chalcodes decided to show off and nearly lift the entire damn lid off the enclosure. Had to coax the spider away from the top and put a heavy box of change on top. A little unnerving- also awesome, I love this little thing.

Attachments

emartinm28

Arachnoknight
Successfully moved my entire collection from New York to Colorado over 3 days. Exhausting but with careful planning I had 0 casualties or issues

RevS

Arachnopeon
Urgent NEWS!

Yesterday my healthy H. pulchripes sling molted without issues - further confirming that I didn't do anything wrong when it comes to keeping them.

As for the sick sling. It remained in a constant death curl since Wednesday - it wasn't responding to stimuli at all since Friday but I didn't dispose of it because it appeared to change positions ever slightly between times I checked on it.
Today when I returned from work it actually reacted when I blew some air at it - slightly wiggling it's legs - something it has last done on Thursday. It didn't seem discoordinated like back then but rather very weak.
I left the sling as it was - glad that I didn't dispose of it after all.

I've checked on it a few minutes ago and to my surprise it has successfully molted!

Molted sick sling.jpg

I've been busy the entire afternoon so I don't know how long ago it molted and how long it's been on it's back now.

I'll keep you updated on the situation.

Yes - the enclosure is pretty moist. It has been since last Wednesday when I discovered it in a death curl and tried to put some water on it's mouth. The air isn't stuffy and there is no smell so it shouldn't be a problem and it definitely didn't worsen the situation over the week.

Edit:
I checked on it after writing this and it flipped back to the upright position!

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Cleared out my A. anax’s old enclosure today. Her previous keepers had her in a giant glass terrarium with a mesh lid that didn’t even close properly. Got it emptied and discovered 2 mealworm beetles, a living mealworm, a pupa, and a dead mealworm inside. Granted these were all at the bottom of the enclosure but it makes me angry on my new spider’s behalf. They were clearly overfeeding her. Glad she’s with me now in a properly sized enclosure.

joossa

Arachnobaron
Daisy was not hungry today again. At least she didn't kick hairs and is still looking pretty. 😅 Will offer a small meal again in 4 weeks.

20210805_202418.jpg

20210805_202429.jpg

Finikan

Painter of Poorly Rendered Images
Arachnosupporter +
Had to do a rehouse for my invisible OBT sling. Located two little feet hiding under a leaf. Carefully brushed the dirt and webbing away and set the leaf in another container and out pops this little orange punk! Had it since it was 3/4" and haven't seen orange before today!
IMG_20210805_180216.jpg

joossa

Arachnobaron
Peach has been very active with the warmer summer weather lately. Tonight, she believed she was an arboreal T. 😂

20210806_224156.jpg

20210806_224204.jpg

20210806_224240.jpg

scooter1685

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Today, for the first time ever, one of my Ts emerged from his burrow with hooks. Considering that, I had a little chuckle about having named him Molly a couple of years ago when I bought him. I'm sure it makes no difference to him, but I think it's a little funny.

Finikan

Painter of Poorly Rendered Images
Arachnosupporter +
Caught my M. Robustum out taking a look at 04:30. No wonder I never see him out of his lair... I'm not one for midnight strolls.
Really need to get it into a clearer enclosure, then again, it's never out anyway. 😁
IMG_20210807_051631.jpg

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Today, for the first time ever, one of my Ts emerged from his burrow with hooks. Considering that, I had a little chuckle about having named him Molly a couple of years ago when I bought him. I'm sure it makes no difference to him, but I think it's a little funny.
This has happened to me three times, lol. I've got Peggy, Scarlet, and Gretchen, all males. Folks have asked me why I don't change their names after I find out they're males and I say it's not like it makes a difference to the spider, so why would I bother?

Last edited:

ConstantSorrow

Arachnosquire
Woke up to find my E. campestratus sling in a semi death curl. She'd been down at the bottom of her burrow so long, she couldn't climb out to get to the water. (Enclosure too deep? HAS to be my fault.)
Switched her to a new home, moister substrate. Tried flipping her over to put some water on her mouth parts but she was objecting so I managed to get the water down the wall and under/around her. Figure that the fact that she was "with it" enough to object is a cautiously positive sign.
Keeping a steady eye on her for the moment. Feel horrible.
I've been awake for two hours and today already sucks.

ETA: She's across the enclosure and up on the cork bark now. Crisis over. Lesson learned.

Last edited: