Genus Theraphosa

T.Raab

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi Steve,

TINTER noted 1991 in the Description of Pseudotheraphosa apophysis that they differ from Theraphosa blondi that they possess a stridulation organ on the Coxae II and the thinner Femur of leg I-IV. ;)

diKe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks Steve :) Nice that you like my pictures ^^ It is a great pleasure for me because you take good pictures as well so it is a good sign ^^

Timo was faster than me although he is a few years older than me :p (I think ^^).

Both are freshly molted and I just wanted to show the difference with those pictures because when they are freshly molted you can see it best. Yes I think the T. apophysis must be mature female now (it is my youngest female). I will see if I will try to breed her in near future. The male is waiting and lucky because he can have a few girls in short time ;)

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
T.Raab said:
and the thinner Femur of leg I-IV. ;)
Hi Timo,
You know I think Tinter got it right, but I think some more detail on the description of the femura and how they vary would have been better IMO ;) They are thicker, that is for sure, but the swollen distal ends of the Femur I (dorsally) are a distinction that could easily be made on even younger specimens.

As you know, when theraphosids grow, they thicken up until they die, if they live for overly long periods, the carapace will widen considerably laterally, giving a round appearance, with deep foveal indentations, I call them spider wrinkles at that stage ;) The legs thicken naturally too. So, how would a very old T.apophysis compare to a young T.blondi???

For an ID using femural characters to be good, using Tinter's leg distinctions, it would be exceedingly difficult without comparison specimens in front of you (one of each species). However, IMO he could have avoided that by defining the thicker regions with accuracy on each femur. If he had done that, I think femur I would stand out as a clear indicator for a live specimen ID, without the need of both specimens, or an exuvia to check for stridulatory goodies.

Of course this is just an opinion, basing such things on photos alone (although I do have exuvia from both species here) would be a bad move, just something to think about for anyone who is having difficulty in identification of live animals ;)

People are always disscussing how to distinguish these two species.......LOOK DORSALLY AT THE DISTAL END OF FEMUR I :)

Steve

kennfreeloader

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
larger

Ok this sling 3 weeks ago and its the only moult since i took the prev pic in this thread. I'll post pics of it again if it moults.

2.5" sling

so watcha think?

T.Raab

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi Steve,

interessting point. I just took a look at TINTERs description. He noted in the dicussion that it is possible that the female he determinded could be T. blondi as well, cause the female lack the scopula on the Coxae II. He noted that further work will be shown the correct ID of the female. He also think thats possible that both species occur in the same locality.

This is the part of the discussion (in german):

Die neue Gattung und Art hat mit Theraphosa leblondi sehr viele Gemeinsamkeiten, unterscheidet sich jedoch von ihr in einigen wesentlichen Merkmalen. Die Femora sind bei beiden Geschlechtern dünner als bei T. leblondi. Auch besitzt die neue Art an den Beinen I und II an den o.g. Stellen Fiederhaare, an denen T. leblondi nur einfach Haare besitzt. Es ist nicht auszuschließen, da bei dem Weibchen einige Merkmale zum Männchen differieren, daß dieses nicht der gleichen Art wie der des Männchens angehört und es sich dabei um T. leblondi handelt, die in dem Fanggebiet durchaus vorkommen könnte. Allerdings ist der Untschied zwischen P. apophysis und T. leblondi Weibchen in der Dicke der Femora zu erkennen. Was es mit dem Vorhandensein des Stridulationsorgan beim Männchen bzw. mit dem Fehlen beim Weibchen auf sich hat, müßen zukünftige Untersuchungen an z.B. subadulten Männchen oder anderen Weibchen zeigen.

brachy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi

Im thinking this T. sp Venezuela is very stupid marketing working. In this hobby its full lot... :(

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
MetalDragon_boy said:
dont see pic...
xgrafcorex said:
it doesn't work for me
Lorgakor said:
I cant see them either
Are you all using firefox or something, try a different web browser

*EDIT* just as i thought hy, maybe i could host the pics seperately for those guys, they dissapear!, it says they have been moved or deleted

*edit2* i swear im not on drugs, theyre back, i hope you dont mind Kenn im re hosting them at the end of the thread so people can hopefully see them

Last edited:

eman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Interesting... it sort of "looks" like a blondi sling. It certainly does not look like an apophysis IMO. Who knows if it is even related to the adult WC specimen (which started this thread). In any case, it will be interesting to see how it develops. Keep us posted.

kennfreeloader

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
sorry for not fixing the problem quickly enough, it was working fine before i went to bed.
Gigus:thanx alot for hosting them for me:)
im p feeding it, this one took 2 months to reach its latest moult, probably gona take another month before it moults again.

eman: yeah, am quite worried as to what it will grow up to be..hope its an apoph

if anyone has any blondi sling pics, perhaps you can post them here for reference.

thanx.

Gigas

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It was wierd Kenn i could see them but no one else could?

BLS Blondi

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In my opinion, it is all BS. If it is not a T. blondi or T. apophysis, then it is probably a hybrid. Case in point: I bought a handful of P. "ecuador I and II". With the exception of one, they are all P. platyomma.

diKe

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
M.F.Bagaturov said:
and the adult is definately looks nothing like T. apophysis...
Why not? I am quite sure it is T. apophysis.