The OFFICIAL YouTube thread for tarantula care and husbandry channels

Isaax Critterz

Arachnoknight
Who here has a deep "hatred" for exotics lair, I've been scrolling through his channel and I cant go 10 videos without seeing: My tarantula died:sad:! Mold:sick:! Rehousing defensive tarantula:eek:! Honestly hate the guy. His enclosure are "cool" but his water ASMR is an excuse to cover up his awful husbandry...And the Dark Den is not any BETTER, bro fed his tarantula hot sauce, makes his go into water, makes his t's swim! Its the reason why guys like Tom Moran are legends, and why the really popular ones are bound to fall...:confused:

Benson1990

Arachnoknight
Who here has a deep "hatred" for exotics lair, I've been scrolling through his channel and I cant go 10 videos without seeing: My tarantula died:sad:! Mold:sick:! Rehousing defensive tarantula:eek:! Honestly hate the guy. His enclosure are "cool" but his water ASMR is an excuse to cover up his awful husbandry...And the Dark Den is not any BETTER, bro fed his tarantula hot sauce, makes his go into water, makes his t's swim! Its the reason why guys like Tom Moran are legends, and why the really popular ones are bound to fall...:confused:
He's the only one who I'd say is actively bad, he purposefully puts his T's in unsafe, compromised positions for the sake of views...it just can't be denied at this stage.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
This dude said rats and mice are loose in his t room often and cages are literally on the floor wth? o_O :devil: That’s crazy ! Rats 🐀

Last edited by a moderator:

Frogdaddy

Arachnoprince
Go over to the Tarantula Collective group on FB. They won't let you even correct or address bad husbandry issues for fear someone might get butt hurt. Snowflakes just bury their head in the sand instead of giving out correct information. So imo they are perpetuating bad husbandry. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. It's all about promoting TC as a full time income stream and not a resource of information.

mctenor

Arachnopeon
@Isaax critters I would, I love those videos. They were recommended to me on another thread when I first started out.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Also, would you guys recommend people like Dave's Little Beasties, and Tom Moran?
Over everybody else, YES ! Tom more than Dave, though. He gets all the main points out and doesn't overcomplicate things. Sticks to the tried and true methods.

Some of Dave's methods by comparison are controversial, ie bioactive setups, but you can't deny his strength when it comes to breeding. He has way more success than failures. So, he is definitely doing his part in propagating some of those not-so common Ts through the hobby and yet he still takes time to breed staples like Avic avic.

Dorifto

He who moists xD
Some of Dave's methods by comparison are controversial, ie bioactive setups, but you can't deny his strength when it comes to breeding
The only thing I'd change about his setups are the clay balls, as I mentioned himself, anything else. He is a very accesible person and open to constructive criticism, not like other youtubers around.

Talking by myself and based on my experience, a good planted tank helps a lot keeping your T within correct climatic conditions, as it helps keeping the conditions more stable inside hence decreasing any chances of having harmfull conditions inside. You only need a very well vented enclosure, nothing else.

I barely touch the enclosures, maybe once or twice a year for a minor trim, a side from bi weekly/monthly watering.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
The only thing I'd change about his setups are the clay balls, as I mentioned himself, anything else. He is a very accesible person and open to constructive criticism, not like other youtubers around.

Talking by myself and based on my experience, a good planted tank helps a lot keeping your T within correct climatic conditions, as it helps keeping the conditions more stable inside hence decreasing any chances of having harmfull conditions inside. You only need a very well vented enclosure, nothing else.

I barely touch the enclosures, maybe once or twice a year for a minor trim, a side from bi weekly/monthly watering.
he can sometimes come off as quite rough when replying (might be because i only pointed out minor inaccuracies so far), but considering the size of his audience and the fact that he takes time to reply to comments like that at all makes me interpret them as brisk rather than anything else

much like our resident answering machine :troll: ;)

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
Honestly there's not much to tarantula husbandry and maintenance as even advanced species are easier to keep than the easiest reptiles (much less mammals).

Mixture of 3 parts cocoa fiber + 1 part vermiculite or silica sand would be great for species that like it dry. A mix of cocoa fiber or topsoil + sphagnum peat moss works fine for more moisture dependant species.

Use a proper size enclosure with decent ventilation, a water dish, and a hide or 2 and that's about it.

All these YouTubers do is post feeding videos, which can still be fun to watch mind you, but you don't need their advice at all. About the only difficult thing about keeping tarantulas is breeding them, but no beginners need to bother with that.

mctenor

Arachnopeon
Mixed feelings ever since the AB debacle.
Can you expand on this? I'm a beginner to the hobby but the Tarantula Collective is one of the first channels that got me interested in the hobby and i still reference him sometimes and I'd like to learn more about this "AB debacle."

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Can you expand on this? I'm a beginner to the hobby but the Tarantula Collective is one of the first channels that got me interested in the hobby and i still reference him sometimes and I'd like to learn more about this "AB debacle."

Timc

Arachnosquire
Basically, AB is mean because the husbandry advice/general discussion are not guided solely by the profit motive. Clicks on this site aren’t views for him.

PhoenixFyre

Arachnomom
Arachnosupporter +
He was one of the first ones I watched as well and thought highly of him. As a matter of fact, that's how I learned about this site.
Then, after coming here and learning a LOT more than I could ever learn from him or YT Keepers in general, I began to scrutinize his husbandry and how he harassed his T's just for photoshoots.
The icing on the cake for me was when I visited his FB page.
Needless to say, I no longer follow him or many others on YT - even those that are held in the highest regard by others, simply because I always find something that irks me within their vids.

Oh wait, there is one that I follow because I find it relaxing and fun - Dave's Little Beasties.
Do I think he's the god of arachnids that knows everything there is about them? No, but I do enjoy the respect he has for his animals.