The OFFICIAL YouTube thread for tarantula care and husbandry channels

Paolo G

Arachnopeon
Why don't you like TC? Kat is ok but not my favorite. Dave's Little Beasties is my go to.
Have you seen his podcast with dustin from simply spiders? The cancel culture thing? He did that out of spite cause he got called out about his video on the "top 10 most dangerous spiders" which he later changed to too 10 most defensive tarantulas. Him and TK have lots of drama.

also i find that they do this for money and i know a lot of youtubers do that but there is no learning from their content. I find a lot of new keepers in the fb groups watch TK and TTC. I feel like they ask the dumbest questions cause they did not learn anything from them LOL

ant ramblings

Arachnopeon
Yes heard the podcast . I feel like they get a very hard time in the us just being able to buy anything . It's all so expensive and they're seems to be so many people trying to scam .
Here in the UK we are lucky prices are low and most of the sellers and breeders are family run concerns who know each other so not really any chance of getting scammed . In fact the problem here is its so cheap that colections can so easily grow and people struggle to keep them warm so collections start being sold off in the winter time.

campj

Captive bread
Old Timer
I'd like to take a moment to have everyone reflect on how truly terrible the Exotics Lair guy is at caring for tarantulas. Every video seems to be him screwing up, watching him rehouse defensive spiders with one hand drives me crazy, everything looks very unsanitary.

tarantulas118

Arachnoknight
I'd like to take a moment to have everyone reflect on how truly terrible the Exotics Lair guy is at caring for tarantulas. Every video seems to be him screwing up, watching him rehouse defensive spiders with one hand drives me crazy, everything looks very unsanitary.
I’m not the biggest fan Either

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
Tarantula Collective & Tom Moran

I’m not the biggest fan Either
I like the guy, but you're right. He definitely is too careless. Makes lot of mistakes. The kind you think a newbie would make, not an advanced keeper. One of his recent vids, don't remember what one, he kept putting his camera right into the enclosure of some of his defensive OW species and I was thinking "Love how he just shoves his camera deep into their enclosures. What a grand idea. What could possibly go wrong? 🙄"

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
He makes me so angry
Can't really argue against his antics, even as someone who finds him mildly amusing. He makes the most ridiculous mistakes. Ones an advanced keeper should NOT make. Like doing cage maintenance or feeding or whatever it is he's doing while his enclosure is up high allowing his A. geniculata (a very large terrestrial species) to bolt out of it's enclosure, fall on the ground & bust it's abdomen thereby killing it. Can he be entertaining at times? Yes. Is he the most informative YouTuber out there? Definitely not. For informative invert YouTubers I'd suggest people like the Tarantula Collective & Tom's Big Spiders. Not this guy.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Can't really argue against his antics, even as someone who finds him mildly amusing. He makes the most ridiculous mistakes. Ones an advanced keeper should NOT make. Like doing cage maintenance or feeding or whatever it is he's doing while his enclosure is up high allowing his A. geniculata (a very large terrestrial species) to bolt out of it's enclosure, fall on the ground & bust it's abdomen thereby killing it. Can he be entertaining at times? Yes. Is he the most informative YouTuber out there? Definitely not. For informative invert YouTubers I'd suggest people like the Tarantula Collective & Tom's Big Spiders. Not this guy.
You really shouldn't even bother to support this guy, he's not doing anybody in the hobby any favors. The problem is that most people who are thinking of keeping Ts don't know better and his example just shouldn't be followed at all. I stopped watching his stuff since a couple of years since it's just cringe-inducing.

I can agree on recommending Tom Moran but not Tarantula Collective. Too much click-bait titles and over sensationalism on his channel. Dave's Little Beasties is a much, MUCH better alternative. A person like Tom that shows the correct practices and doesn't sacrifice safety for himself and his spiders over a good shot.

My 2 cents.

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
You really shouldn't even bother to support this guy, he's not doing anybody in the hobby any favors. The problem is that most people who are thinking of keeping Ts don't know better and his example just shouldn't be followed at all. I stopped watching his stuff since a couple of years since it's just cringe-inducing.

I can agree on recommending Tom Moran but not Tarantula Collective. Too much click-bait titles and over sensationalism on his channel. Dave's Little Beasties is a much, MUCH better alternative. A person like Tom that shows the correct practices and doesn't sacrifice safety for himself and his spiders over a good shot.

My 2 cents.
Well, I'd say Exotics Lair could be a good example for what NOT to do as a tarantula keeper. Tom Moran and, like him or not, Tarantula Collective both seem to be fairly informative. Haven't watched Dave's Little Beasties but I'll definitely have to check him out. Thank you.

slocoj91

Arachnosquire
Yes heard the podcast . I feel like they get a very hard time in the us just being able to buy anything . It's all so expensive and they're seems to be so many people trying to scam .
Here in the UK we are lucky prices are low and most of the sellers and breeders are family run concerns who know each other so not really any chance of getting scammed . In fact the problem here is its so cheap that colections can so easily grow and people struggle to keep them warm so collections start being sold off in the winter time.
We are scarce on a lot of species though, Brexit was a bad time for me to get into Ts 😭 People having issues keeping a collection warm just because it's large makes little sense...feels like the same people who haven't done an ounce of actual research. We need to stay warm ourselves and not have pipes freeze. I have a fan heater which i rarely use, none of the tarantulas are exhibiting unusual behaviour.

I run cold and I'm pretty sure the Ts are usually more comfortable than I am.

Mountaindani

Arachnopeon
I watched one of him and his buddy chase a male around a room that they were breeding. Definitely more about clicks than anything imho. I think my first post here was mentioning youtube videos and I got a lot of wise warnings to be careful with that advice. Those videos got me interested in keeping tarantulas, which I am very grateful for. But I do watch them with a more critical eye, and I don't watch ones where obvious stupidity is the message.
I believe 1/2 of what I see, 1/4 what I hear, and none of what I see on youTube haha. Can't thank those from AB enough for helping me with any real questions I have on husbandry for my Ts. Even when I google an issue, it more times than not comes up with an AB link for an solution. :)

Isaax Critterz

Arachnoknight
A few I watch are:
Tom moran
Tom's big spiders
The tarantula collective
Dark Den
Exotics lair
Christopher lopez
Tarantula kat

give your opinions

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
Tom moran
Tom's big spiders
Good one to watch
The tarantula collective
IMO, another pretty good channel

Used to be good, nowadays a lot more questionable. Still not as bad as Exotics Lair.

Exotics lair
Why would you even watch this?

Christopher lopez
Never heard of this guy.

Tarantula kat
I don't watch her, so I don't have any opinions, though most people on here dislike her.

Isaax Critterz

Arachnoknight
Good one to watch

IMO, another pretty good channel

Used to be good, nowadays a lot more questionable. Still not as bad as Exotics Lair.

Why would you even watch this?

Never heard of this guy.

I don't watch her, so I don't have any opinions, though most people on here dislike her.
TDD literally makes his T's swim and stuff..Exotics lair is questionable..

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Recommendable or not, if I can learn something from it, I will count it as informative.

Wolfram1

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
countless threads like this one exist already.... maybe add your own opinion to an existing thread?

i voiced my opinion quite a few times already so i will just add some you shouldn't overlook:

bugsnstuff
birdspidersCH
World of Spiders