The hobby's Great White Whale

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A big ol' chonky Brachypelma smithi female. Every time I see one I'm either not in the financial position to pull the trigger and sell before I am again! Same with Grammastola pulchripes. Neither are particularly rare but dang if the pattern doesn't get annoying after a bit.

H. chilensis and A. mooreae as well, like for so many others I'm sure.
You'll be dead before either of those last species matures IF female. My suspect female is sitting on a molt for well over a year, almost 2 yrs

Metallattorney

Arachnopeon
Mine is definitely a female eucratoscelus pachypus. Another one that has recently been discovered but is not available in the hobby and there is not much information about is the ceratogyrus attonitifer.

me and my Ts

Arachnoknight
I haven't seen large females for less than $350 and I've been watching them come and go for about a year. <edit> has listed a few for $375 in recent months and seemingly have them sell within 24hrs. Cheapest for a confirmed female I've seen was still over $200 for a specimen that seemed just large enough to sex.

With the state of things it's basically a perfect storm for slow growing, long lived females to cost bookoo bucks. People will shell out big $$$ if it means they don't have to wait years only to find out they have a male and need to watch paint dry all over again by raising another wee sling. For B. smithi there is also the issue of making sure you actually get the species you pay for so I imagine in some cases you are also paying for reputation.
In a local Facebook group somebody had to move suddenly and needed to sell their T collection fast, they were selling all their adult Brachypelma females for only $50 apiece, really wish I had bought all of them, at the time I was just starting in the hobby and wasn’t really interested in them, they also had a 2inch G. pulchra for $50, really regret passing

Last edited by a moderator:

Kibosh

Arachnoknight
Orphnaecus dichromatus.

Been looking for years and actually found one last year, but did not have the money to procure it at the time.

SP00KY

Arachnopeon
I totally understand the want of B. hamorii. It's the ultimate Hobby Icon and females are highly prized by keepers, myself included. Bought a 1.5" sexed female in 2011... 11 years later, it's still not full grown ;) I'm probably going to have to include it into my will. The lifespan potential is easily the biggest perk for the species, IMO. Good luck finding your girl :)
B. hamorii is typically cheaper by like a solid hundred or more than B. smithi for females here. It does seem like in a lot of these discussions americans have the short end of the stick price wise right now!

I have special considerations for wanting larger female Ts when it comes to slower growing ones. I am sickly and have to keep my mortality in mind (which is to say viper69 you're honestly probably right and I'm highly unlikely to ever own either species as a result, haha.) Adult females and rarer species find homes quickly, so my wife wouldn't have to be burdened terribly long if the worst happened. Leaves me usually more willing to pay out the nose and less eager to keep forever slings than most.

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
In a local Facebook group somebody had to move suddenly and needed to sell their T collection fast, they were selling all their adult Brachypelma females for only $50 apiece, really wish I had bought all of them, at the time I was just starting in the hobby and wasn’t really interested in them, they also had a 2inch G. pulchra for $50, really regret passing
When? Not that long ago people were just giving away their ts, I got my adult female g rosea for free, with a setup.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
B. hamorii is typically cheaper by like a solid hundred or more than B. smithi for females here. It does seem like in a lot of these discussions americans have the short end of the stick price wise right now!

I have special considerations for wanting larger female Ts when it comes to slower growing ones. I am sickly and have to keep my mortality in mind (which is to say viper69 you're honestly probably right and I'm highly unlikely to ever own either species as a result, haha.) Adult females and rarer species find homes quickly, so my wife wouldn't have to be burdened terribly long if the worst happened. Leaves me usually more willing to pay out the nose and less eager to keep forever slings than most.
Reading this, now I understand why you want a big, impressive adult. If money's no object, get it whenever you see one available. For me personally, the slight differences in look between hamorii and smithi isn't enough to get me to pay a bit more for a smithi. Auratum, though, their patterns are distinctly different that that flame on the patella is just... woah ! Having said that, I also have a boehmei, so I also won't bother getting a baumgarteni. They are beautiful, but not different enough (for me) to justify buying one. I do hope you are able to enjoy a big, impressive smithi girl before the worst happens. All the best !

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
any aboreal type t reality is with my mobility issues theres just no way i could keep one safely let alone rehouse with no escapes

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
Reading this, now I understand why you want a big, impressive adult. If money's no object, get it whenever you see one available. For me personally, the slight differences in look between hamorii and smithi isn't enough to get me to pay a bit more for a smithi. Auratum, though, their patterns are distinctly different that that flame on the patella is just... woah ! Having said that, I also have a boehmei, so I also won't bother getting a baumgarteni. They are beautiful, but not different enough (for me) to justify buying one. I do hope you are able to enjoy a big, impressive smithi girl before the worst happens. All the best !
The worst?

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
He just said he's sickly and needs to keep mortality in mind. Hopefully, whatever ails him doesn't affect his enjoyment of the animal(s).
Ohk mb

Actually it is here is the link where I posted the video of this tarantula's stridulation, listen for yourself.

I was just commenting on how unanimal-like it sounded. I know what stridulation is.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
A female P. ornata.
Took me FOREVER to legally find one, like 3 years. I'm hoping to start breeding ESA species soon and gifting them out to dedicated keepers. Few more molts for the ornata and subfusca LL so they are a bit more mature then hopefully I can find some males for loan or sale locally.

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
A female P. ornata.
Working up to it, or just haven't found one yet?

Took me FOREVER to legally find one, like 3 years. I'm hoping to start breeding ESA species soon and gifting them out to dedicated keepers. Few more molts for the ornata and subfusca LL so they are a bit more mature then hopefully I can find some males for loan or sale locally.
Really? Ive seen a good amount of slings, figured females wouldn't be too uncommon.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
Really? Ive seen a good amount of slings, figured females wouldn't be too uncommon.
The problem is they're an ESA species. Legally, you can only purchase them in the state you live in. They can't be bought, sold, or traded across state lines, period the end. To legally cross state lines as part of a transaction, they can only be gifted with absolutely nothing given in return at the time or in the future (no trades, future considerations, etc) or be part of a standard breeding loan.

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
The problem is they're an ESA species. Legally, you can only purchase them in the state you live in. They can't be bought, sold, or traded across state lines, period the end. To legally cross state lines as part of a transaction, they can only be gifted with absolutely nothing given in return at the time or in the future (no trades, future considerations, etc) or be part of a standard breeding loan.
Oh I get what you're saying now. Good thing I didn't decide to order any ornata slings, I was thinking about it and didnt know about that rule. Wish Florida had more hobbyists, but there are worse places to be for this hobby. What other pokie species are ESA? Ive ordered a couple pokies from out of state, hoping they're the legal ones.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +

joossa

Arachnobaron
I told myself going into the hobby that I would get myself my most favorite species as my first T so that if any Ts that would come after, they would be a bonus. So I snagged a subadult female B. hamorii. I don't like or desire any other T more than her. However... that may change with my B. albiceps babies. Raising Ts from teeny tiny sizes has been surprisingly very rewarding, engaging, and uplifting.