The hobby's Great White Whale

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Anything in genus Typhochlaena is unavailable as far as I know, except for seladonia, and even they are rare (and pretty much non-existent in the US).

Type Typhochlaena in Google image. if you think seladonia is beautiful, some of the others are even more so, IMO.

Last edited:

Inktomi2

Arachnopeon
Chad's skeptical for a reason... According to the Chilean hobbyist that know their native species well, Phrixotrichus scrofa has never been exported nor have I seen any outside of their photos...
Too bad, that is one beautiful sp. For my its the P. Metallica for looks factor and the new aphonopelma johnnycashi. I would want a male and I would name him Sue.

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
Im just curious, as there are tons of T species, and plenty of rare ones, especially ones that arent established in the hobby. What is that one T that you are looking for to someday own? For me it a T. Seladonia. I know theyre not the rarest, but the trapdoor quality, build, and gorgeous colors, along with the high price tag and unclear husbandry advice make it a T i want, but will have to wait a while to own.

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel
1. euathlus sp. "tigre esmeralda" or any cool euathlus sp.
2. hapalotremus vilcanota
3. typhochlaena costae
4. Aphonopelma mooreae Juvenile female
5. Psalmopoeus ecclesiasticus
6. acanthoscurria simoensi
7. Megaphobema mesomelas

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
For me the genus that I had been searching for was a little know dwarf baboon species from southern Africa: Harpactirella. Thanks to a friend in the hobby I was able to snatch up an individual Harpactirella magna. The entire genus has never really been established in US hobby, if I can I’d like to try to change that. Although I suspect the significant venom toxicity has been the influencing variable in that. It’s pretty nasty to say the least, potentially the worst there is lol.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
https://arachnoboards.com/threads/the-hobbys-great-white-whale.316757/

I'm not going to say "use the search function" as my thread is like three years old now and there are a lot of new species in the hobby. Plus, it's threads like these where I get to learn about new species and discoveries. I was just going to comment on the fact we have almost the exact same title lol.

For me, mines changed. I haven't heard or seen a single new piece of information on that all purple baboon species since the Tarantupedia video years back.

I would say, for me and now more than ever, my white whale is ironically a black spider. That would be Stromatopelma cf satanas.

jhjhj

Arachnopeon
1. Euphrynichus amanica
2. Heterophrynus batesii
3. Phrynichus deflersi

Not T’s I suppose, but I would love to get my hands on any of these 3.

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
For me, mines changed. I haven't heard or seen a single new piece of information on that all purple baboon species since the Tarantupedia video years back.
I thoight about that th other day, nothing else
,that has been the one and only image/vid I’ve seen, makes you wonder why??

Jonathan6303

Arachnoangel

I'm not going to say "use the search function" as my thread is like three years old now and there are a lot of new species in the hobby. Plus, it's threads like these where I get to learn about new species and discoveries. I was just going to comment on the fact we have almost the exact same title lol.

I would say, for me and now more than ever, my white whale is ironically a black spider. That would be Stromatopelma cf satanas.
Chilobrachys fumosus

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron

I thought I had seen this title somewhere else lol, either way its been a couple years, id like to see what everyone is saying now. Purple baboon?

1. euathlus sp. "tigre esmeralda" or any cool euathlus sp.
2. hapalotremus vilcanota
3. typhochlaena costae
4. Aphonopelma mooreae Juvenile female
5. Psalmopoeus ecclesiasticus
6. acanthoscurria simoensi
7. Megaphobema mesomelas
The entire Euathlus genus looks amazing tbh.

me and my Ts

Arachnoknight
I don’t personally own but I really want one, Sericopelma sp. Santa Catalina, I’ve been looking for a while now, same with the Proshapalopus amazonicus, although I know where to find the amazonicus they’re to expensive for me

Last edited:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
My list in no particular order:

Poecilotheria rajaei
More male Theraphosa's... :rofl:
Anything in Chile :troll:

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Until recently it was T. cyaneolum, but I got one, so I'm satisfied with what I have for the moment.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, for me... I often come up with this answer. They're not the prettiest, they're not extremely rare, but they are fairly uncommon.

Brachypelma klaasi

I know, it's neither overrated nor underrated. You just don't see them in collections as opposed to the mainstays like hamorii, boehmei or emilia. I can't really explain why I'm especially drawn to this species, I just am.

l4nsky

Aspiring Mad Genius
Arachnosupporter +
I thoight about that th other day, nothing else
,that has been the one and only image/vid I’ve seen, makes you wonder why??
I don't know. Maybe the one found was a MM and they're completely different in terms of color from females? Maybe their fossorial and have a limited range? Maybe no one from the original expedition has ever shared the exact location and they've just never been back to the area? Too many unknowns.

I thought I had seen this title somewhere else lol, either way its been a couple years, id like to see what everyone is saying now. Purple baboon?
https://arachnoboards.com/threads/new-purple-baboon-species.290736/

EDIT: It appears that a little further down in the link, there's a record of the initial observation and the two discovered were MM's.

Last edited:

SageN

Arachnopeon
Im just curious, as there are tons of T species, and plenty of rare ones, especially ones that arent established in the hobby. What is that one T that you are looking for to someday own? For me it a T. Seladonia. I know theyre not the rarest, but the trapdoor quality, build, and gorgeous colors, along with the high price tag and unclear husbandry advice make it a T i want, but will have to wait a while to own.
T. seladonia for me too for sure, but ever since I got lucky with my first t being an H. chilensis I’m obsessed with the idea of having more of them and breeding mine with the help of experienced breeders. I just love everything about them, their appearance as juveniles and adults, their typically calm and slow demeanors and they’re the perfect size for me, not too tiny but not scarily big

Pmurinushmacla

Arachnobaron
I don't know. Maybe the one found was a MM and they're completely different in terms of color from females? Maybe their fossorial and have a limited range? Maybe no one from the original expedition has ever shared the exact location and they've just never been back to the area? Too many unknowns.

https://arachnoboards.com/threads/new-purple-baboon-species.290736/

EDIT: It appears that a little further down in the link, there's a record of the initial observation and the two discovered were MM's.
I bet the males are the ones that get that bright purple coloration, shame theyre not in the hobby. Though id rather see them thrive in the wild and be nonexistent in the hobby than the other way around.