Switching Types, Need some input

Vinny2915

Arachnosquire
Hey everyone, so here is the deal. I for the most part was interested in 2 main groups Asian arboreals, African terrestrials. With that said, I still loved my avics and pamphos (honestly, who doesn't). Anyways, recently I have started coming around to the look of the new world terrestrials, all the furryness and bulky stature is actually kind of cool. I saw a thread about how they can be boring and I agree they CAN but I have enough T's that I am not worried if I see it doing anything often because there's always one doing something. So with all that, what species of new world terrestrials are your favorites and what would you recommend. *NOTE* for the recommendations, it can't be over 9" (no room for the appropriate enclosure), Can't be so expensive a kidney must be sold to be able to afford it, Preferably a really slow grower but it isn't a must, dwarfs are fine too.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
These are my favorites so far:

Aphonopelma chalcodes
Brachypelma albiceps
Brachypelma albopilosum
Brachypelma auratum
Brachypelma boehmei
Brachypelma emilia
Brachypelma klaasi
Brachypelma vagans
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
Davus pentaloris
Euathlus sp. red
Grammostola iherengi
Grammostola pulchra
Grammostola pulchripes
Grammostola rosea (RCF)
Lasiodora klugi
Nhandu tripepii
Pamphobeteus platyomma
Phormictopus atrichomatus
Phormictopus auratus
Phormictopus cancerides
Pterinopelma sazimai

Vinny2915

Arachnosquire
Thanks for the extensive list, much appreciated. I am really interested in pretty much all hahaha. Just a few questions. With the B.boehmei, B.vagans, and B.auratum, is it true that a lot of them in the hobby are hybridized. I ask because I hear a lot of people buy these and it turns out later that it doesn't look like a typical one of the species and the consensus is that it is a hybrid. Either way those Grammostola are really standing out to me, especially that G.rosea and G.pulchripes.

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
With the B.boehmei, B.vagans, and B.auratum, is it true that a lot of them in the hobby are hybridized. I ask because I hear a lot of people buy these and it turns out later that it doesn't look like a typical one of the species and the consensus is that it is a hybrid.
@Exoskeleton Invertebrates has posted a couple threads on identifying B. boehmei/B. baumgarteni hybrids semi-recently.

http://arachnoboards.com/threads/which-one-is-the-hybrid.306344/
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/an-additional-characteristic-description.306376/

I would say, as long as you're buying from a reputable seller, you should be relatively safe. Maybe don't breed unless you're absolutely sure you can positively ID it once it gets to the juvenile or adult stage.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
With the B.boehmei, B.vagans, and B.auratum, is it true that a lot of them in the hobby are hybridized.
I've never run into it, personally. I would stick to the reputable T dealers if it's a concern.

Vinny2915

Arachnosquire
Thanks everyone! I mainly look at Tarantula Canada when buying so I don't think I will have an issue then, they are pretty reputable.
I would say, as long as you're buying from a reputable seller, you should be relatively safe. Maybe don't breed unless you're absolutely sure you can positively ID it once it gets to the juvenile or adult stage.
I wasn't looking to breed any of the brachys other than emilia for that sole purpose, I just wanted those as display pets in the living room since I am pretty sure Brachys aren't the type to hide 24/7 (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Another soul losing its way..:(

B klassi look cool. Phormictopus too. Lots of color variation to them, and they can go for pretty cheap.

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
Sounds like someone needs an H. Sp. red and a broken E. campestratus to top it off.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Any Nhandu
View media item 45885
Acanthoscurria geniculata

Grammostola iheringi
View media item 46982
Homoeomma sp. 'Fire'

Dolichothele diamantinensis

Neoholothele incei

Theraphosinae sp. 'Panama'

awiec

Arachnoprince
Just get a Thrixopelma, they don't get that big, are colorful, are pretty reasonable price wise and are calm (T.ockerti is an exception and has arboreal tendencies).