Split enclosure failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaronsp10

ARACHNERD
Learned this morning first hand how bad an idea split enclosure's are. Everyone on the forum warned me, but in my brilliant ignorance i kept my gf's male n female ( suspect) G.rosea in a split enclosure temorarily while new substrate was being prepared and bam i found this when i woke up

Attachments

Aaronsp10

ARACHNERD
Its a 10 gallon aquarium with an acrylic divider... obvious i greatly underestimated how small a gap at the top he could squeeze through.. newby question but do only adult spiders rear offspring?

Aaronsp10

ARACHNERD
Lesson learned the hard way... next time ill take the advice given to me by people who know better

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Were they both mature? If yes, there might be babies.

Brave man for posting this, knowing you'll probably get roasted...
I am trying reaaaaally hard not to fire away, so i'll stick with a dislike and just one word.
Stupid.

Aaronsp10

ARACHNERD
Were they both mature? If yes, there might be babies.

Brave man for posting this, knowing you'll probably get roasted...
I am trying reaaaaally hard not to fire away, so i'll stick with a dislike and just one word.
Stupid.
Its okay.. a little ridicule for an easily avoided t death is understood

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Lesson learned the hard way... next time ill take the advice given to me by people who know better
Now you know exactly what we eluded to, it's unfortunate you needed to learn the hard way. You had been given advanced warning and still had to experience it yourself, and your poor girlfriend will come home to her dead T :(

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Ah ah, you basically didn't listen to not a single one of the advice that we (and me, via PM) gave to you :)

Aaronsp10

ARACHNERD
Well to be fair chris... i have been fixing and changing everything since we talked but obviously not fast enough... im noticing some wounds on the female.. should i attempt to help somehow? Maybe super glue the wound close?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Well to be fair chris... i have been fixing and changing everything since we talked but obviously not fast enough... im noticing some wounds on the female.. should i attempt to help somehow? Maybe super glue the wound close?
Any close up pictures would help us to help you.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I don't know man, because, thank God, I was never in such a position where a thing like that could enter in action. I'm always doubtful and skeptic about the 'glue' thing. I don't say it's wrong, I don't say that work. Plus there's to consider well the 'wound' and how much serious is before doing a 'last chance' thing like that... otherwise the risk to add damage is present.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I didn't see the other thread that other's seem to be referencing but I would suggest that the OP links it to this one. It will serve as solid piece of evidence as to why partitioned enclosures are a bad idea. I suspect that when other keepers recount similar story's without proof it is written off as anecdotal..

Sucks you had to lose one, possibly two if your female ended up taking serious damage in order to learn a lesson but I doubt you will make this mistake again. Hopefully it will benefit someone else that is thinking about a similar set up..

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I didn't see the other thread that other's seem to be referencing but I would suggest that the OP links it to this one. It will serve as solid piece of evidence as to why partitioned enclosures are a bad idea. I suspect that when other keepers recount similar story's without proof it is written off as anecdotal..

Sucks you had to lose one, possibly two if your female ended up taking serious damage in order to learn a lesson but I doubt you will make this mistake again. Hopefully it will benefit someone else that is thinking about a similar set up..
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/king-baboon-new-home.293120/

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Going to sound cold, but at least you lost a MM and not something more valuable or long lived. I read a thread awhile back of someone losing a MF G. pulchra the same way. Now that would be a punch to the gut. Hopefully that female is alright, but again... dime a dozen. You don't even know the species. All in all, it was an easy lesson to learn for you.

Side note. Since you don't know what species your girl is, if she ends up producing a sac, please put it in the freezer. Or throw it away. What you did only affected you and your spiders, but sending out all of those slings that are possibly hybrids affects us all.

GingerC

Arachnosquire
Well, on the bright side, not only have you learned a valuable lesson here, but others will as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.