Spiders on Parade!

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cute amazonica! Questions: Are yours seemingly somewhat more defensive than the other Avics? I assumen like being on the line with A. versis in that regard - at least my couple 2" sling slap the tongs way more frequently than my other Avics.
Don't know how I missed this but YES,ours are quite defensive,even the MM.

---------- Post added 09-29-2012 at 09:29 AM ----------

Nice Pictures of the Avicularia amazonica! She is Gorgeous! Also, congrats on the T plumipes!
Thanks!! The amazonica has now been paired so fingers crossed.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Don't know how I missed this but YES,ours are quite defensive,even the MM.
Thanks, that was the info I was looking for. Thanks, Brett! And good luck on getting a good sac !

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Awesome! Really hope that works out for you, Good Luck! I just picked up a 5" female Avicularia sp. amazonica so I am PUMPED! :biggrin:What is the leg span on your amazonica?

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
She is just shy of 6 inches.I have heard they can get HUGE,time will tell.

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Yes, that's what I've heard also; 7" or so.

dactylus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Brett I hope that you keep the B. annitha and breed her!

What is the contraption that your Brachypelma boehmei containers are sitting in?

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Brett I hope that you keep the B. annitha and breed her!

What is the contraption that your Brachypelma boehmei containers are sitting in?
Ya know whats funny,we found an annitha MM,but it turned out he was missing his pedipalps!!!!!The boehmei are in a wine fridge that is currently set at 55F.They have been paired,and the cooling period and finger crossing began a few weeks ago.After a failed attempt last year we decided to go all in this time.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
maintenance and such...

Avicularia amazonica

Megaphobema robustum two weeks molted

Encyocratella olivacea

Avicularia minatrix

Psalmopoeus pulcher

Brachypelma smithi

Brachypelma emilia

Aphonopema sp "mt ord"

Aphonopelma schmidti

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Very nice pictures and geez - you weren't joking when you said you had so many P. pulcher you wouldn't know what to do with them :D That's ridiculous! I would've easily gotten 10 of you if I'd be anywhere near you ;)

Those M. robustum and E. olivacea look awesome! The latter one has quite the temper obviously :D I'm guessing my C. fimbriatus will be the most defensive ones in my collection once they grew up, but I'm still taking bets! Really like those A. amazonicas, too - but these grow SOO slowly. Guess that's why they are one of the longer-lived Avic species out there...

CEC

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter
Nice new pics! I hope your just as successful with the Avic pairings as you are with the P. pulcher pairings.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Those M. robustum and E. olivacea look awesome! The latter one has quite the temper obviously :D I'm guessing my C. fimbriatus will be the most defensive ones in my collection once they grew up, but I'm still taking bets! Really like those A. amazonicas, too - but these grow SOO slowly. Guess that's why they are one of the longer-lived Avic species out there...
Thanks! The fimbriatus are a blast to feed and the amazonica can be quite nasty. She's a quite vicious man eater.

Is that the female Brachypelma emilia that I just sent you? She looks good.
It is actually. She's doin great and about to molt.

Nice new pics! I hope your just as successful with the Avic pairings as you are with the P. pulcher pairings.
Thanks!

Some new things

Cyriopagopus schioedtei
male

if you look under the bark you can see the female lurking

Psalmopoeus reduncus hopefuls

Iridopelma hirsutum

Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens very well fed

Brachypelma klassi

Avicularia versicolor

Poecilotheria metallica

Brachypelma annitha

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Awesome new set of pictures Brett! I especially like the annitha and versi pics! Good luck on the reduncus sac ;)

The C. fimbriatus are already now very interesting to feed: They are so insanely quick that your eye can't really manage to see them moving when they snatch a cricket out of their webbing. VERY cool...now. Not so cool once they're bigger (I guess I'll need to do some training on my reactions, lol :D)

tfd6506

Arachnopeon
Iridopelma hirsutum

Yes, thats my male right there! Sorry folks, but BrettG's pairing here is the first time I am seeing a spider that I raised from my collection pairing with a female, so these pics are a bit exciting :) Hasn't even been a week since I sent him to ya and he's doin his job already! Thats ma' boy, thanks for using him Brett, I can't wait to hear about more updates.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Actually that IS the "recife" female.
I have hirsutum male here that is not even half the size your guy is.Talk about tiny,he is maybe 2.5 inches.We have seen a lot of variance in MM sizes when it comes to Iridiopelma.

tfd6506

Arachnopeon
Oh wow, well that clears that up haha. I saw the pics labeled as hirsutum and wasn't sure if it was acceptable to pair the hirsutum with the "recife" locale. So my "recife" boy is with a "recife" lady, excellent! Wow, that is a teeny MM, my T. violaceus just hoooked out and is in transit to Catfishrod69, that one is also a very small specimen.

Last edited:

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Even though they both look alike I keep them separately.And that was just a typo.I would love to see someone do the fieldwork and then explain the differences between recife and hirsutum.

Hydrazine

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm confused about B.annitha/smithi distinguishing now. From what I've gathered using the search function here, smithi has a pattern on its red/orange knees, while annitha is patternless, yet your annitha seems to have a pattern on the knees.
Well, basically, I don't seem to find any conclusive information from more than one source.

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
AFAIK B.annitha is not patternless. Our spider is 9+ years old,and even in pictures of other B.annitha you can see the pattern,even in much younger specimens.It is just very pronounced in our older girl.
http://giantspiders.com/B_annitha.html

dactylus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ya know whats funny,we found an annitha MM,but it turned out he was missing his pedipalps!!!!!The boehmei are in a wine fridge that is currently set at 55F.They have been paired,and the cooling period and finger crossing began a few weeks ago.After a failed attempt last year we decided to go all in this time.
Nice call on the wine fridge. I may follow your lead and do the same thing with some temperate climate centipedes this winter if I can't find a 55 degree spot in my basement... I would be pairing the pedes AFTER a 2 month 55 degree cooling down period.

Nice klaasi pics!!

David

Last edited: