Spermathecae Resource Thread

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
When I saw "spermathecae thread", I assumed only females would be posted?
As someone who has only done this about 6 times, having 2 genders side by side is the best comparison. However most don't have 2, so it's best to put the gender otherwise honestly, it's so confusing for some (myself included) that I couldn't/can't always tell them apart. Esp in Brachy's where the tissue is fused together.

skippydude

Arachnobaron
2" Male Lasiodora difficilis

[video=youtube;rSUK3-bXc8M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSUK3-bXc8M&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I've heard it's best to sex the molts, prob a stupid question, but doesn't anyone swear to either method?

--J.Haas

z32upgrader

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've heard it's best to sex the molts, prob a stupid question, but doesn't anyone swear to either method?

--J.Haas
For some people, It's the only sure way. I send my molts off to be professionally sexed (for free)by a man with a microscope. PM me if you'd like the details.
Here are some pictures he sent me of my molts:
A metallica b FEM copy.jpg
B vagans a FEM copy.jpg
P miranda a FEM copy.jpg

P.S. In my post above, #90, I was dead wrong about the chalcodes. He matured a few months later.:eek:

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
For some people, It's the only sure way. I send my molts off to be professionally sexed (for free)by a man with a microscope. PM me if you'd like the details.
View attachment 130612
View attachment 130613
View attachment 130614

P.S. In my post above, #90, I was dead wrong about the chalcodes. He matured a few months later.:eek:
Thank u for such nice advice. I'll keep it in mind... I'd love to do this but I kinda like the surprise of what gender they molt into. I'm obviously not a breeder lol... And I love to keep my molts - so I try to visually sex, tho I kno its not100%

--J.Haas

Casey K

Arachnoknight
A. seemani...

just to throw a wrench into the machine, unidentified male 'thingy's'

male ventral (from exuvium)

T that exuvium came from, yes, it has hooks and gloves...

Female spermathecae

female ventral (from exuvium)

I have dozens more of confirmed sexed ventral pics, just not reduced and photobucketed yet. One of these days...

Bill
Hey Bill, just a quick suggestion for new users, perhaps you can tell us what those two male "thingy's" are? I know to look for a flap and its quite obvious these photos clearly suggest such but to some new person those male thingy's may confuse them (they look a "little" like spermathecae). :)

Casey K

Arachnoknight
View attachment 130612
View attachment 130613
View attachment 130614

I would say Aphonopelma are some of the toughest species to sex ventrally. Both the male and the female have those hairs (epiandrous fusillae for males and what appears to be epiandrous fusillae in the female (but impossible). I've had issues sexing juvie & adult Aphonopelma because of such.

Casey K

Arachnoknight

--J.Haas
I swear to ventral but only in Brachy's, lol, do I swear 100%. Females are ummm....well, "blessed", lol.....

MrsHaas

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I swear to ventral but only in Brachy's, lol, do I swear 100%. Females are ummm....well, "blessed", lol.....
Lol, I've seen a few of those... Where it's just like vag of the century!