Arachnopeon
Hello to all, this is my first post here... {D

Acanthoscurria Brocklehursti female:

Brachypelma Boehmei female:

thanks

YouLosePayUp

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Here's some guaranteed ventral shots. The problem comes with some of the males being mature(the look changes a lot)

Brachypelma auratum juvenile female:

Brachypelma auratum juvenile male:

Brachypelma vagans female:

G. grossa appearing male:

H. minax Female:

P. cambridgei Female:

SuperRad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Tibial Hooks

It seems like this would be a much easier sure fire way to tell a male from a female.

Are there species that don't have tibial hooks on the males? Are there females that might have weird legs that have hook like parts? It just seems that most ppl prefer to ventrally sex or check out molts to tell. I would think hooks were the way to go every time.

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It seems like this would be a much easier sure fire way to tell a male from a female.

Are there species that don't have tibial hooks on the males? Are there females that might have weird legs that have hook like parts? It just seems that most ppl prefer to ventrally sex or check out molts to tell. I would think hooks were the way to go every time.
Hooks and palpal bulbs only appear on mature males, meaning when they've had their ultimate molt. Up until then, pre-ultimate male tarantulas can look just like a juvenile/sub-adult female tarantula. Some have said that pre-ultimate males look "leggier" than females, but that isn't any sort of guarantee. Ultimately, the best way to discern pre-ultimate male from female is via exuvium.
Additionally, I have heard of a couple of species of tarantula where even the mature males do not develop the tibial hooks. I'm not sure which species these are (or how many exist), but perhaps someone else can enlighten us? :)
I have not heard of a single individual tarantula, or even any species, where the female develops anything even close to a hook. Perhaps some sort of deformity could occur rarely, but even then it would have to be on both legs which would be even more rare.
Hope this answered your question!

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
B. boehmei male:

H. incei male and two females, in that order:

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Female N. chromatus, ventral and molt:

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Probably not needed, but Here are a female B. smithi, Vent shot and exuvium.
The exuvium is about 3" DLS.

Ventral:

Exuvium:

TheHolyToast

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes the white dot is a male trait.
The "white dot", and also the "triangle" you hear mentioned may have some truth to them, but I wouldn't base an opinion on them alone.

4" P. regalis - confirmed female

4" L. Parahybana - confirmed female

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P. pederseni mature male ventral and dorsal pics